Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Lord Jesus Christ was not a winebibber. The Pharisees did accuse Him of being gluttonous, a winebibber and having a devil, but all three charges were false.

He ate, but was not a glutton.
He drank, but was not a drunkard.
He partook of those good things that He gave us for our good pleasure without succumbing to the passions that control some of us.

Upvote 0

Jeffery

Nov 15, 2003
✟7,690.00
Faith
Christian
No matter how you cut it, you have to take that "one" drink to be on the way to be drunk.

Wow, people really squeal when you step on their toes!

I recommend a book entitled Bible Wines and the Laws of Fermentation by William Patton (Challenge Press, Little Rock, Arkansas).

Don't you know that people in Jesus' day knew the Old Testament warned of the misuse of wine and therefore did not serve intoxicating drinks?

Prov. 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Prov. 21:17 He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich.

Prov. 23:20-1 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Prov. 23:29-30 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Prov. 31:4-6 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted. Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Prov. 9:1-5 Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars: She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table. She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city, Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.

Prov. 23:31-5 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Is. 5:11-12 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.

Is. 5:22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Jer. 23:9 Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake; I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine hath overcome, because of the LORD, and because of the words of his holiness.

Jer. 51:7 Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD'S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.

Hos. 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Mark 15:23 And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you know that people in Jesus' day knew the Old Testament warned of the misuse of wine and therefore did not serve intoxicating drinks?

Seems to contradict the Gospel according to St. John, Ch 2 when Christ himself served wine to the guests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

only1wolfman

Sep 5, 2004
Little Rock, Ar
Visit site
✟234.00
Faith
Baptist
the Bible makes mention of two different kinds of wine (I can go in detail later if someone wants me to)
1. what is considered to be wine, beer, etc. today is never to be drunk at all.
2. what is considered to be grape juice today is perfectly fine to drink as long as you don't gorge yourself on it and such.

Upvote 0

only1wolfman

Sep 5, 2004
Little Rock, Ar
Visit site
✟234.00
Faith
Baptist
StAnselm said:
I'd love for you to go into more detail, but not in the New Christians forum. Not sure why you resurrected an old thread...
sorry I was just browsing all the posts and figured I'd put my 2 cents in :sorry: . I'll see if I can't find a more appropriate place to discuss this in the next week.

Upvote 0

Ginga

Sep 6, 2004
New Zealand
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Firstly, i believe that any Euthanasia is wrong. Firstly, the person may be past help yes, but that doesn't mean that God can't work miracles. God could still heal him and make him a great evangilist. Don't say that it is stupid, God would never do that, the same God held off an Egyptian army with a wall of fire when Mosses crossed the red sea, and he is the God of the impossible.

Second, drinking is not a sin, however, getting drunk is. It's alright to drink alchol, as long as you never get drunk, and lose control of your actions. You said it yourself, Jesus turned water into wine, and so drinking can't be a sin if Jesus provided the wine. Also, only excessive drinking will damage your organs. It is alright to drink a little bit, in fact back in Jesus' day, people drank to stay healthy as it helped them with diseases in the stomach etc. So drinking isn't a sin, but getting drunk is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.