USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OpenMinded-Protestant said:
...and you get that guilty, this feels wrong feeling (maybe not everyone, but most know what im talking about!) that would be the Holy Spirit letting you know you shouldnt be doing that!
Uhoh, I get that when I start to surf CF from work! :sorry:

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Blessed beyond the curse!
Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟29,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, the statement alcohol is damaging to your organs is only true when consumed in EXCESS. You can kill your kidneys by taking too much tylenol also. Alcohol is actually recommended by studies showing in SMALL amounts it can be beneficial.
Second, the Bible states being DRUNK (which is excess) is wrong and we should not be drunk. Paul even says 'take a little wine for your stomachs sake.' Jesus turned the water into wine, not grape juice, believe me the Hebrews knew the difference. What the Bible also says is ANYTHING to excess is a sin!!! So all those who eat too much are also doing the wrong thing. However, if you can drink only a small amount and stop there is NOTHING wrong with alcohol in my Bible. Jesus drank wine. The Pharisee's would not have called Jesus a glutton and 'wine-bibber' if he were drinking grape juice. There were attempting to slur Jesus' character and call him an ancient form of a 'wino'.
However, as has been recommended, if you are uncomfortable with it then by all means do not partake. I suggest you check out the Blue Letter Bible and do some research on both the scriptural references and then modern medical journals about wine. If you do not wish to do something that's okay but try not to look down on others who do. This has been used to cause division in the Body of Christ for a very long time. :( Personally, I chose to have a glass of wine now and then and I believe it is SCRIPTURAL, but if you choose not to, that's okay. My Bible says being drunk is wrong. One glass of wine does not make me drunk....*shrug* So do what is best for YOU. {{{hug}}} Good question.
~Cyberwing

Upvote 0

WanderingMagi

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟445.00
Faith
Protestant
Who says alchol is bad for you? Sevearl studies show that in some (mostly the middle-aged and up) it is beneficial. Liver damage only occurs if too much is drunk for it to cope with. The bible repeatedly condemns drunkenness - unless we go that far or actually do ourselves damage, it should be fine...

Upvote 0

pentecostal girl

Nov 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟817.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I personally think drinking is wrong, even in moderation. The only queation that I have for people who are christians and drink how do you explain yourself to non-believers. The world already thinks that christianity is full of hypocrites, and most people think alcohol is bad! If they see you drinking, what are they going to think? We are suppoesed to set examples for people. I really hope this doesn't affend anyone, those were not my intentions. I'm sorry if I did. :cry: Well I hope God will keep blessing you over and over again.

God Bless:prayer:

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
pentecostal girl said:
I personally think drinking is wrong, even in moderation. The only queation that I have for people who are christians and drink how do you explain yourself to non-believers.

Erm - "Fancy a pint?"

The world already thinks that christianity is full of hypocrites, and most people think alcohol is bad!

No, they don't. Not in my experience.

If they see you drinking, what are they going to think? We are suppoesed to set examples for people.

Responsible drinking is a great example to set, given the less responsible messages given out by some parts of society and of the drink industry.

I really hope this doesn't affend anyone, those were not my intentions. I'm sorry if I did. :cry: Well I hope God will keep blessing you over and over again.
God Bless:prayer:
Bottom line - Jesus drank, and even sanctioned a certain level of inebriation at a party by making more wine for people who'd already been drinking. Can't be bad.

Upvote 0

pentecostal girl

Nov 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟817.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bottom line - Jesus drank, and even sanctioned a certain level of inebriation at a party by making more wine for people who'd already been drinking. Can't be bad
Can you please show me where that is in the bible?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

icebreaker

Oct 26, 2003
Elizabeth City, NC
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After just turning 21 on Nov 21st. I drank a beer with my parents and a couple when I went out with friends. My friends were all upset because I wouldnt get trashed but the bible is against drunkeness and I dont think it would be setting a good example.

I dont have any desire to drink anymore just wanted to buy one because I drank alot when I was younger and was never able to buy one. I dont think it is good for a christian to drink and take a chance of anouther christian seeing us and say he is a christian and he drinks so it must be ok for me to drink. I need my senses as strong as possible to I dont need beer messing up my judgement. There is nothing good that comes from drinking and if they need wine etc.. to uplift their spirits then they are not seeking God for strength but the wine.

Upvote 0

Super Gnat

Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home
Sep 15, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio--Go Cavs!
Visit site
✟16,409.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
pentecostal girl said:
Can you please show me where that is in the bible?

God Bless!
John 2:1-11
1On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."
4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."
5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."
6Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[1]
7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.
8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."
9They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."
11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

Upvote 0

pentecostal girl

Nov 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟817.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Responsible drinking is a great example to set, given the less responsible messages given out by some parts of society and of the drink industry

I'm sorry, please don't think that I'm picking on you it's just that Alot of people do classify christianity as a bunch of hypocrites. I'm not saying all people do, but the majority do. People are under the impression that just because were a christian it means that we "perfect" which we all know we're not(Lord knows I'm not) Whether you notice it or not people do watch the way you act and the way you handle things. As soon as one of us messes up, they can use that as an excuse as to why thet're not a chrisitan. For example let's say you try really hard at school or at your work to set good christian examples for your peers. Anyway one day you go to a resturant and they see you there drinking a class of wine or some other type of alcohol beverage but how are they supposed to know that you're drinking a glass in "moderation". People are always wathching!! Well, I hope I making sense!

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
kimber1 said:
It's called " The Complete Book of Bible Answers- Answering the Tough Questions" by Ron Rhodes
Sounds like a good book. Ron Rhodes is a great author.
I have heard John MacArthur preach the same thing on drinking.
He gave some compelling arguments why believers should not drink at all and I can see his viewpoints. But I do think that everyone should go by the leading of the Spirit in regards to this issue. As was stated, the beverages we drink today are much stronger than they were in bible times and if someone were to drink our wine or beer in that culture they would have been considered a barbarian.
So if you want a glass of wine with dinner or a beer then drink it if you can handle it and stop before becoming affected by the alcohol and giving the enemy a chance to use that to his advantage. The scripture says to be alert and sober and put on the full armor of God.

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
jhessel said:
beer = the devil's drink

anything which causes bodily damage, leads to bad state of mind and accidents is not of God.

I don't drink, i have never taken a glass and will not.
Really? Were you aware that Luther and Calvin drank beer?
Did you know that Charles Wesley and George Whitefield drank wine?

To call it the "devils drink" goes a little far don't you think?
If you are compelled to not drink then that is fine and I applaud your choice, but to say others should not because it is not of God goes beyond what scripture teaches. ;)

Upvote 0

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
pentecostal girl said:

I'm sorry, please don't think that I'm picking on you it's just that Alot of people do classify christianity as a bunch of hypocrites. I'm not saying all people do, but the majority do. People are under the impression that just because were a christian it means that we "perfect" which we all know we're not(Lord knows I'm not) Whether you notice it or not people do watch the way you act and the way you handle things. As soon as one of us messes up, they can use that as an excuse as to why thet're not a chrisitan. For example let's say you try really hard at school or at your work to set good christian examples for your peers. Anyway one day you go to a resturant and they see you there drinking a class of wine or some other type of alcohol beverage but how are they supposed to know that you're drinking a glass in "moderation". People are always wathching!! Well, I hope I making sense!

God Bless
My friends know me. They know I drink. They know whether they've seen me ****ed. No problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lilbobby86

Oct 21, 2003
Port St. Lucie, FL
Visit site
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
jhessel said:
beer = the devil's drink

anything which causes bodily damage, leads to bad state of mind and accidents is not of God.

I don't drink, i have never taken a glass and will not.
No offense or anything, but you really need to lighten up a lil. Alcohol is in no way "the devil's drink". The Bible doesn't condemn Alcohol. It does however, condemn drunkeness (if that's what you meant). Its a big difference that's clear to see.

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
PR 23:20 Do not join those who drink too much wine

1TI 3:8 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine,

*** 2:3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine,

Doesnt say anything here about "NO wine"

Upvote 0

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Jeffery said:
I drank before I became a Christian, when I lived wicked,but God changed my heart thankfully. I don't think that a Christian should drink beer , wine or any strong drink.
Bad lad, that Jesus bloke, drinking wine!

Stupid psalmist as well, suggesting that God gave wine to gladden the heart of man!

Evil people both.

Upvote 0

prince didymus

Prince of Destiny
Jul 19, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟8,211.00
Faith
Anglican
Jeffery said:
I drank before I became a Christian, when I lived wicked,but God changed my heart thankfully. I don't think that a Christian should drink beer , wine or any strong drink.
It's not that you shouldn't drink wine or whatever its that you shouldn't drink it in excess to make you intoxicated among other things.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.