Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the disciples acknowledged Jesus as Lord. Thus they would have done whatever He told them to do.

Yet, Jesus defined His relationship to them during that time as a "teacher" (such as "The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher"), and even those who did not believe He was Lord also referred to Him as a "teacher."

We know extra-biblically who such teachers as Gamaliel were and how they operated, and Gamaliel is identified in scripture as Paul's teacher--and what Gamaliel was to Paul is what Paul would have meant by "teacher." Frankly, there isn't a scholarly debate on what being a "teacher" (aka "master" or "rabbi") meant in 1AD for Jews, Greeks, or Romans. They all had disciplinary authority over their disciples (notice that "discipline" and "disciple" extend from the same root). Also, take into account Hebrews 12:11 in which the concepts of chastisement/punishment/training/discipline are conflated.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have plenty of extra-biblical references to how teachers controlled their disciples, but we also have biblical references.

But honestly, why exactly to we CARE how people in the Roman Empire were doing it? We aren't in the Roman Empire.

Those same people had a council in Jerusalem that commanded Christians not to eat blood sausage (or anything else with blood in it.

They had their views and needs back then. And much of that doesn't apply to us at all. Different times, different cultures.

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Never could figure out why God would appoint women as Prophetesses and in the same breath say that they couldn't teach...someone's is lying or misunderstanding something. I also think of Acts 18:26, keyword being "they", neither one was singled out.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But honestly, why exactly to we CARE how people in the Roman Empire were doing it? We aren't in the Roman Empire.

Those same people had a council in Jerusalem that commanded Christians not to eat blood sausage (or anything else with blood in it.

They had their views and needs back then. And much of that doesn't apply to us at all. Different times, different cultures.

What we care is to understand what was being instructed and what the continued spiritual purposes were behind it.

For instance with regard to the very specific practices that were prohibited to the Hellenist Christians, we know those specific practices were integral parts of pagan worship activities, and the Acts 15 letter blends with Paul's injunctions of 1 Corinthians 10 against actively participating in pagan ritual.

So it's not the specific practice that's important to understand but the principle of "do not engage in pagan rituals" for which Paul points out the spiritual reasons in 1 Corinthians 10 that were not explicitly written down in Acts 15.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read a comment given in response to a video of a woman who gave a sermon in a church.

The commenter asked: "Why is a woman preaching?"

The response he got was: "Today was women's Emphasis Sabbath."

He then responded: "Not being hateful. Just wondering. It just didn't seem to be right."

What are your thoughts about women preaching in church? I know Paul had something to say about women not teaching in the church but remaining silent (1 Tim. 2:12).

Was that Paul's personal belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with culture?

Share your thoughts...
I believe the command for women not to preach, is law, and we are not under law.
Romans chapter 4
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God created roles for men. God created roles for women. The Bible says that women are not to be Pastors, Teachers or Preachers in the church. And truthfully, there are a lot of men who should not be Pastors either. There is little discernment in the word of God in the church today, and a lot of ignoring the qualification for Elders and Pastors in church as defined by God.

This in no way means that women are subhuman or worthless, but when you go against the roles that God has clearly defined in the Bible, you bring the judgment of God, as demonstrated by Israel so very many times in the Bible.

• Winner
Reactions: Dove17
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet, Jesus defined His relationship to them during that time as a "teacher" (such as "The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher"), and even those who did not believe He was Lord also referred to Him as a "teacher."

We know extra-biblically who such teachers as Gamaliel were and how they operated, and Gamaliel is identified in scripture as Paul's teacher--and what Gamaliel was to Paul is what Paul would have meant by "teacher." Frankly, there isn't a scholarly debate on what being a "teacher" (aka "master" or "rabbi") meant in 1AD for Jews, Greeks, or Romans. They all had disciplinary authority over their disciples (notice that "discipline" and "disciple" extend from the same root). Also, take into account Hebrews 12:11 in which the concepts of chastisement/punishment/training/discipline are conflated.
Here's the thing: Paul said, "I do not permit a woman to teach..." (1 Tim. 2:12a). He did not say, God does not permit a woman to teach. And then he went on to give his reason why he felt that way (v.v. 13-14).

Could it be possible Paul was sharing a personal belief based on the culture of his time, and not necessarily a command of God? And if it wasn't a personal belief, then what did he mean by "teach"?

These are important questions. Getting at the root of what Paul meant by "teach," will help to clear up a lot of confusion.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read a comment given in response to a video of a woman who gave a sermon in a church.

He then responded: "Not being hateful. Just wondering. It just didn't seem to be right."

What are your thoughts about women preaching in church? I know Paul had something to say about women not teaching in the church but remaining silent (1 Tim. 2:12).

Was that Paul's personal belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with culture?

Share your thoughts...

Paul also told Timothy that only those with a "wife" could be a deacon, yet in Romans 16 the very first woman Paul commends for her service in the church is a lady named Phoebe who was a deacon.

So there is clearly more going on this those verses about only men preaching than what meets the eye.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Share your thoughts...

I think the point of Paul is that women should not rule men.

… nor to exercise authority over a man, ….
1 Tim. 2:12

But as the example Matthew gives, women were allowed to tell for example the message, like in the case when Jesus was resurrected.

Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb… … Go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has risen from the dead, and behold, he goes before you into Galilee; there you will see him.' Behold, I have told you."
Matt. 28:1,7

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont want to hear anything from a Woman over the pulpit! Neither do I want to hear from a Man. Yet I want to hear from God....And I believe he can use a woman, man or even a rock to deliver his message.

I would question the intentions of the hearer if they focus on the sounds of the voice or the vessel delivering it as oppose to the Message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Share your thoughts...

When Paul wrote for slaves to remain slaves --

5 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free." -- Ephesians ch 6

But.....

In fact, Paul took in an escaped slaved, and did not send him back to his owner, and then wrote a letter to his owner demanding the owner consider the former slave an equal!

15 "Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back forever— 16 no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a fellow man and as a brother in the Lord.

17 So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. 18 If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me." -- Philemon chapter 1 (a one page epistle)

So, slaves remain slaves....or slaves run away and owners now treat them as total equals.... which???

Both!

The key that makes sense of Paul's writings on women and on slaves is the crucial chapter 1 Corinthians chapter 8. (only 13 verses long)

If you read that chapter, which isn't long, you can learn why Paul told slaves to remain slaves, and women to remain in traditional roles at that time. At that time, these were the normal roles that people thought respectable and correct.

When should you become a vegetarian, for the sake of Christians?..... Paul answers, and in that answer you unlock many things Paul wrote that seem out of place today.

Then you'll be able to correctly apply the real meaning of Paul's instructions, here and now, today, in your own life, yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The main and most important thing to know about the Book of Judges is that they were not doing things according to the intention of God. The entire concept of "judge" was a workaround on God's part caused by the Israelites refusing to obey Him otherwise.

The "judge" system of leadership is not what the Body of Christ is operating under. We have specific instructions to follow.

I didn't say we are under the judge system. A prophetess is a prophetess whether OT or NT.

• Agree
Reactions: Senkaku
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Share your thoughts...

Women are in every way the intellectual and spiritual equals of men and so I see absolutely nothing wrong with a woman preaching or in being a pastor or minister or priest. We must remember that in biblical times patriarchy was the order of the day and women were regarded second class people by society at large and in in the Bible. 1 Tim. 2:12 reflects this attitude. This was a cultural belief and in no way reflects the will of God. And BTW 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus were all written by the same person some 60 years after Paul's death.

Any organization, religious or secular and including marriage, that fails to include women in leadership roles right up to the very top is guilty of several evils. First, it is the insult to the women themselves by viewing them as less worthy. Second, it is the insult to God by denigrating half of God’s creation. If we continue to treat women in this way, then the human race is condemned to stand on one foot, see with one eye, hear with one ear and think with one half the human mind ---- and it shows.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Women are in every way the intellectual and spiritual equals of men and so I see absolutely nothing wrong with a woman preaching or in being a pastor or minister or priest. We must remember that in biblical times patriarchy was the order of the day and women were regarded second class people by society at large and in in the Bible. 1 Tim. 2:12 reflects this attitude. This was a cultural belief and in no way reflects the will of God. And BTW 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus were all written by the same person some 60 years after Paul's death.

Any organization, religious or secular and including marriage, that fails to include women in leadership roles right up to the very top is guilty of several evils. First, it is the insult to the women themselves by viewing them as less worthy. Second, it is the insult to God by denigrating half of God’s creation. If we continue to treat women in this way, then the human race is condemned to stand on one foot, see with one eye, hear with one ear and think with one half the human mind ---- and it shows.

The authorship of the epistles to Timothy and Titus were questioned by 19th and 20th scholars, but early church fathers believed them to be written by Paul. Only Marcion, the heretic, didn't like what was written therein. So I wouldn't make it a statement of fact, only point out that some question the authorship. On this note, what do you think of the authorship of the Epistle of Barnabas?

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Share your thoughts...

God in the Bible said women are not allowed to preach

Reactions: Dove17
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Share your thoughts...
Let me ask this, does God contradict Himself?
My answer: No.
We know from His word that WE can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Phillipians 4:13. "All things" would that not include women preaching? There is no stipulation to this verse such as "all things through Christ...oh, unless you're a woman who desires to preach. Girls have cooties". I mean no disrespect, just bringing a bit of humor.
God's word all says Nothing is impossible with God. Again, there is no fine print with this verse either stating..."EXCEPT..if you're a preaching woman. Men only. Go home and knit something." No, All things are possible with God. I don't personally believe God views me or any woman to be any less capable than any man. He certainly doesn't love me any less. Bless me any less.
Maybe it was Paul's personal opinion. I really don't know. But I have offered mine and any offense I may cause is unintended. My opinion is just my opinion. I respect that others may not share my view.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The authorship of the epistles to Timothy and Titus were questioned by 19th and 20th scholars, but early church fathers believed them to be written by Paul. Only Marcion, the heretic, didn't like what was written therein. So I wouldn't make it a statement of fact, only point out that some question the authorship. On this note, what do you think of the authorship of the Epistle of Barnabas?

I am not at all familiar with Barnabas but a trusted source dates it to the end of the first century.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think we have different roles to play in this world, the insistence that women not being allowed to lead us spiritually somehow makes them inferior, or lesser, is incorrect.

Difference, does not mean subordinate.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I am not at all familiar with Barnabas but a trusted source dates it to the end of the first century.

It was on 6 lists of canonical books, and read in all the early churches. And I can see why. It is wonderful. Do not confuse it with the Gospel of Barnabas, which sounds Muslim to me when I began reading it and put it down. But like Hebrews the EoB goes into a lot of meanings behind things in the Old Testament. In fact, some believe Barnabas wrote Hebrews, and so do I now.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Charles H. Hoole)

Upvote 0