Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i dunno....

God uses whom and/or what He sees fit.

That donkey comes to mind.

4chsmu1.gif

So...are you saying to me that the Church should enlist donkeys as elders because God once used a donkey in the OT?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So...are you saying to me that the Church should enlist donkeys as elders because God once used a donkey in the OT?

LOL!

Interesting take on my post.

^_^

• Friendly
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another situation where the obvious is ignored in favor of cultural preference.
What is obvious? Paul said, "I do not permit a woman to teach..." (1 Tim. 2:12a) It's obvious Paul said that, but not so obvious that it was a command of God. But was it really a command from God?

Can you provide us with evidence proving it wasn't a personal belief of Paul's based on the culture of his time? Can you provide us with evidence from the Bible of God saying a woman is forbidden to teach?

And what did Paul mean by, "teach"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
References in the Word show it's not wrong for women to preach in church. Anna (Luke), Phillip's daughters (Acts), along with her husband Priscilla going through Scripture with Apollos tho not in church (Aquila's wife in Acts), sons and *daughters* who will prophesy in the last days when God's Spirit is poured out on us, and Paul himself saying women's heads should be covered when they prophesy.

There is evidence that Paul's reference is actually on authority being delegated by a woman when he says the following about women:

-that they should be silent (Not silent preaching the Word, or singing, or saying "amen" but on matters of decision making that impact men as part of the fellowship)

-that they should not usurp authority or teach a man, that Eve was the one beguiled by the serpent (because Satan went through the back door of influence by targeting the one under the man's authority instead of the man himself, who is the one to be on the frontline as protector and implementor of God's commands/standards). There are things a only a man can teach another man - with mother to her son as an exception among other exceptions. A woman can't teach a man how to love his wife like a man can. Obviously, Paul saw (in the case of marriage) that women likewise are more effective teaching other women how to treat their husbands in obedience (Titus). A woman can't teach a man how to manage the church (1 or 2 Timothy). A woman's role is not fatherly (authority/discipline/enforce). It's nurturing (semi-authoritative toward other women and children/sharing of God's Word as God gives to her in prophesy or teaching strictly breaking down His Word)

-that a bishop should be able to manage his own house before managing God's house (1 or 2 Timothy 3). No one will agree that a woman should manage a household. She's the nurturer and is to submit to the husband. No one would say a man is to submit to the woman and nurture a household led/protected by/provided for by her. If the role is structured this way in a home, it's structured in such a way in a church with men managing and no one lording over the flock as Jesus said and as Peter reiterated in one of his letters.

There is evidence that Jesus structures His church to be overseen by men in the area of authority for protection as well as role (again because Adam was given such a role to carry out God's plans). He had many disciples and and inner circle of 12 male disciples. These men carried out God's plan to spread the gospel and define the church as well as make decisions on such things as even Paul himself being welcomed and recognized as an apostle (tho Paul would be an apostle with or without the recognition among them).

In churches of the disciples' time and many outside America, leaders of churches are on the front line. They're martyrs. They speak, delegate authority, and often experience physical persecution for being at the forefront. From reading the gospel and Acts, I believe women are protected from that. Tho we are persecuted and can expect to be persecuted (even physically), imagine a true man in leadership. He stands at the forefront with the women and children BEHIND him to protect them from what's in front. Women behind the men nurture the others behind the line with prophesying and teaching and helps and other ministry. Pastors are at the forefront. They are the target of enemies because their voices are the main ones heard and they are the ones enemies look to initially attack. This gives the rest of the flock time to take shelter for protection when the man gives himself for the flock. That's the role of a leader, a man - a protector, the one whose voice is primarily heard and draws attention to terrorists in several other countries and in the times of the disciples.

Another example. If you've ever seen the movie Sully with Tom Hanks or know of the pilot Sullenberger, you know he was the last to get off the fallen plane in that river (I believe Hudson) into which the plane crashed. As a leader and main driver and decision maker, he oversaw all to be taken care of and took heat for his decision. Metaphorically, this is the experience of a pastor. A role for a man. It suits his stature as a protector and his first role given within the home as the one to whom everyone else, including wife, should submit for a number of reasons - beginning with "because God said so".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But honestly, why exactly to we CARE how people in the Roman Empire were doing it? We aren't in the Roman Empire.

Those same people had a council in Jerusalem that commanded Christians not to eat blood sausage (or anything else with blood in it.

They had their views and needs back then. And much of that doesn't apply to us at all. Different times, different cultures.

The point is to understand what was in Paul's head when he said women should not teach men.

What was in his head was a relationship in which a teacher had an extremely harsh level of disciplinary authority over his disciples. We don't even have an equivalent relationship today--something like the Japanese sensei concept might be close.

But for sure, Paul's idea of "teacher" was not someone in the congregation who merely proclaimed "thus saith the Lord" or who merely expounded the Gospel in CDs sold on television, neither having any authority over anyone.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I read a comment given in response to a video of a woman who gave a sermon in a church.

The commenter asked: "Why is a woman preaching?"

The response he got was: "Today was women's Emphasis Sabbath."

He then responded: "Not being hateful. Just wondering. It just didn't seem to be right."

What are your thoughts about women preaching in church? I know Paul had something to say about women not teaching in the church but remaining silent (1 Tim. 2:12).

Was that Paul's personal belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with culture?

Share your thoughts...
In order for this question to be answered I need to look up that verse on Blue Letter Bible.

The word for "exercise authority over" is authenteo with a line over the "o".

The definitions of this word are interesting.
1. One who with his own hands kills another or himself. (*That's the first definition?!*)
2. One who acts on his own authority, autocratic.
3. an absolute master.
4. to govern, exercise dominion over one.

What I think Paul is basically saying is that no Woman should be in control of a man spiritually.

I believe that a woman can teach without demanding or exercising control over a man's situation. But, I don't think women can lead a church. Ministers are in control of people's destinies as spiritual shepherds.

How else are we to learn from women in the Church and their perspective if they literally can't speak a word in Church?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I read a comment given in response to a video of a woman who gave a sermon in a church.

He then responded: "Not being hateful. Just wondering. It just didn't seem to be right."

What are your thoughts about women preaching in church? I know Paul had something to say about women not teaching in the church but remaining silent (1 Tim. 2:12).

Was that Paul's personal belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with culture?

Share your thoughts...
Paul tells us we are under no law, and then creates a law that women are not allowed to talk in a church. Paul is a great man, and we have much to learn from him, but I take my cue from Jesus, who told us to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ministers are in control of people's destinies as spiritual shepherds.

No person is "in control" of another's destiny. They might have a strong influence but no control.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Okay, good question. I have been in the A of G, and there were always women preachers. In the Catholic Church, if a bishop allows it, a woman can preach a particular lesson, but not at Mass. The Homily belongs to Bishop, priest, or deacon.

If you read Paul in the original Greek, you find that he does not say be silent. The phrase used considers silent prayer, praying for enlightenment for the whole congregation, and for the Holy Spirit to be with the preacher.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No person is "in control" of another's destiny. They might have a strong influence but no control.
If you look at the illustration Jesus gives about himself, the Good Shepherd, in John chapter 10, and then you look down at verses 28 thru 29 it's clear that the Shepherd must have at least some control over the Church.

But you're right in that God is ultimately in control.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Share your thoughts...
Philip had four unmarried daughters who prophesied (Acts 21:9).

"Today, nearly a third of all practicing physicians are women..." Wall Street Journal 10/2015

If women can heal and prophesy, some of them will be speaking in church. My mother was a lector at her Catholic Church and read scriptures aloud during Mass. She was a writer, editor, award winning reporter and a member of Toastmasters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sola1517
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I really don't mean offense.

But why do so many people take a non issue such as this, and turn it into a discussion?

It's not a non-issue.

Women, all over the world, in all kinds of churches, feel themselves led to preach. Whether they are allowed to or not in their particular context, they face hostility if they dare articulate that leading and seek authority from the church to do so.

I myself have been called all kinds of insults, accused of rebellion, of witchcraft, of disobedience, of being Satanic, you name it; I have been interrupted and openly disrespected, I have had people walk out of church... because I preach the gospel with the full authorisation of my church to do so, and I am a woman.

Can we ever hope to resolve the issue? I don't know. I'd like to hope that we could at least get to the point where we could be polite and respectful towards those with whom we disagree. But when I see the vitriol hurled at women who are humbly seeking to be obedient to God... it often seems a very faint hope.

I do agree that what Paul forbids is domineering control over others; but I believe that is forbidden to all who lead, following in the footsteps of Christ who came to serve, not to control.

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read Paul in the original Greek, you find that he does not say be silent. The phrase used considers silent prayer, praying for enlightenment for the whole congregation, and for the Holy Spirit to be with the preacher.
Can you provide a source to substantiate this?

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not a non-issue.

Women, all over the world, in all kinds of churches, feel themselves led to preach. Whether they are allowed to or not in their particular context, they face hostility if they dare articulate that leading and seek authority from the church to do so.

I myself have been called all kinds of insults, accused of rebellion, of witchcraft, of disobedience, of being Satanic, you name it; I have been interrupted and openly disrespected, I have had people walk out of church... because I preach the gospel with the full authorisation of my church to do so, and I am a woman.

Can we ever hope to resolve the issue? I don't know. I'd like to hope that we could at least get to the point where we could be polite and respectful towards those with whom we disagree. But when I see the vitriol hurled at women who are humbly seeking to be obedient to God... it often seems a very faint hope.
It is a non issue.

It's a non issue to those who are nasty to you, and it should be a non issue to you.
It's like arguing over the color of the sky.

Upvote 0

Robert76

Robert
Jul 19, 2017
Central Ohio
✟7,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Share your thoughts...

From my limited understanding, 1 Tim. 2:12 was addressing how people were conducting themselves in the Church where we are led to believe there was excessive arguing where the women were talking over the men and disrupting the body of Christ and Paul's letter to Timothy is addressing this.

My family and I are members of what some may consider a fairly conservative church and we do not have women in any leadership positions over men specifically. That said, we do have women in leadership roles over other women and children. This was not the 'selling point' for why we joined the church, just happens to be how it has defined its bylaws. I don't see this as an issue of whether women are capable of preaching or a prejudice against women, but rather a factor of God's design. For reasons why only God knows, he created Adam in His image and then from man God created woman as a helper. 1 Corinthians 11:3 (ESV) goes on to say "But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God."

God does not love his daughters any less than his sons. In fact, men are commanded to love their wives and lay down their lives just as Christ laid down His life for us. There are unique abilities and positions God has created especially for women where it was not God's design for man (such as the miracle of bearing children). Likewise, the role of pastor is just God's design for men.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask this, does God contradict Himself?
My answer: No.
We know from His word that WE can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Phillipians 4:13. "All things" would that not include women preaching? There is no stipulation to this verse such as "all things through Christ...oh, unless you're a woman who desires to preach. Girls have cooties". I mean no disrespect, just bringing a bit of humor.
God's word all says Nothing is impossible with God. Again, there is no fine print with this verse either stating..."EXCEPT..if you're a preaching woman. Men only. Go home and knit something." No, All things are possible with God. I don't personally believe God views me or any woman to be any less capable than any man. He certainly doesn't love me any less. Bless me any less.
Maybe it was Paul's personal opinion. I really don't know. But I have offered mine and any offense I may cause is unintended. My opinion is just my opinion. I respect that others may not share my view.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Please keep in mind that when Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" (Phil. 4:13), he was speaking within the context of being equipped to carry out God's will (v.v. 11-12). He did not mean to imply we can do "all things" as pertaining to what is spiritual. Although it is true that every believer is gifted to serve in the body of Christ, not all are called to serve in the same capacity/office (see 1 Cor. 12:12-31).

Ephesians 4:11-13 NKJV "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ"

Having said that, you can be confident that if God calls you to a task, He will give you strength to carry it out. In that sense, Philippians 4:13 has application to us.

Upvote 0