NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Were you baptized (submerged) into water in the name of the Father/Son/Holy Spirit for the remission of your sins?

Water baptism is an essential part for the initiation into Christ, being forgiven of your sins, and being granted the Holy Spirit.

Yes thank you - and no, it isn't.

Jesus saves; Jesus alone. Not Jesus + baptism,Bible reading, correct theology or anything else.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes thank you - and no, it isn't.

Jesus saves; Jesus alone. Not Jesus + baptism,Bible reading, correct theology or anything else.
Jesus said "if anyone keeps my word he will never see death"...part of Jesus' word was for disciples to be baptized in water.

You say correctly only Jesus saves, but we have to be IN Christ t be saved.
Romans 8:1
"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

But how do we get in Christ?

Colossians 2:11-12
"and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; [12] having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

You can't be raised up with Christ unless you have symbolically died to your old self through water burial and come out of the water.

The water does not save you, Christ saves you because you're obeying His command.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Need I remind folks that it's against the rules to call another member's salvation (or Christianity) into question...?
I was not aware.
But I find this fascinating. Christianity is about truth and only God defines what a Christian is. We should all be happy to discuss our coming-to-Christ experiences, yet even being able to challenge ourselves on the matter. Scripture tells us to "test ourselves to see whether we are in the faith".
As man I can't know the heart of a man nor condemn them, but it is my Christian duty to either lead others to Christ and/or help then remain in Christ.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said "if anyone keeps my word he will never see death"...part of Jesus' word was for disciples to be baptized in water.

"and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; [12] having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

You can't be raised up with Christ unless you have symbolically died to your old self through water burial and come out of the water.

The water does not save you, Christ saves you because you're obeying His command.

I don't dispute that it is good, or even advisable, to be baptised.
But people come to Christ and make a genuine commitment and it may be a while before they can be baptised. Some may be very ill and die before that happens. They are still saved; they were saved the moment they asked for forgiveness and confessed Christ as Lord and Saviour.
Even if a person is unconscious in hospital and not able to respond in any way the we understand - I believe the Spirit can still minister to them.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

This is very off topic in this thread, and I would suggest that you start a new thread if you wish to pursue this line of discussion.

Mark 16:16 tells us he who believes and is baptized shall be saved but whosoever does not believe will be condemned. It does not say whosoever is not baptized will be condemned.

Should we be baptized? Yes of course. But there are times when a water baptism is impossible. My Uncle was wounded in the Pacific during World War II. As he lay in the sand he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. He was later baptized aboard a hospital ship. Would a loving God have condemned him if he had died after accepting Jesus but before being baptized? Of course not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was not aware.
But I find this fascinating. Christianity is about truth and only God defines what a Christian is. We should all be happy to discuss our coming-to-Christ experiences, yet even being able to challenge ourselves on the matter. Scripture tells us to "test ourselves to see whether we are in the faith".
As man I can't know the heart of a man nor condemn them, but it is my Christian duty to either lead others to Christ and/or help then remain in Christ.

I agree, but the problem on a forum like this is that if we allow it, many arguments degenerate into people who disagree accusing one another of not being Christian, or not *really* Christian. This is unhelpful and damaging behaviour, so it is now considered a form of flaming, which is against the rules here, to state or imply that another member is not a Christian.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but the problem on a forum like this is that if we allow it, many arguments degenerate into people who disagree accusing one another of not being Christian, or not *really* Christian. This is unhelpful and damaging behaviour, so it is now considered a form of flaming, which is against the rules here, to state or imply that another member is not a Christian.
Good to know, thank you.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is very off topic in this thread, and I would suggest that you start a new thread if you wish to pursue this line of discussion.

Mark 16:16 tells us he who believes and is baptized shall be saved but whosoever does not believe will be condemned. It does not say whosoever is not baptized will be condemned.

Should we be baptized? Yes of course. But there are times when a water baptism is impossible. My Uncle was wounded in the Pacific during World War II. As he lay in the sand he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. He was later baptized aboard a hospital ship. Would a loving God have condemned him if he had died after accepting Jesus but before being baptized? Of course not.
In one sense, yes it's off-topic. In another sense, it's not, because coming into the Body of Christ we are granted with the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide us and help us along the way. I was originally going to segue into the possibility that confusion on the scripture about women's roles, or the feeling one gets toward fulfilling certain roles as a woman might be due to the lack of HS guidance in their life because they hadn't followed the scriptural steps to receive it in the first place along with salvation.

But I don't want to be judgemental nor condemning...I don't know anyone's heart or exactly where they're at or what they've been through--only God knows. So in light of what the mod has posted, I'll just have to leave the discussion where it's at. I said everything I needed to anyway.
________
I will PM you regarding the topic of salvation.

Upvote 0