• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is it Wrong for Women to Preach in Church?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by woobadooba, Jul 31, 2017.

1. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+864
    Christian
    Married
    I read a comment given in response to a video of a woman who gave a sermon in a church.

The commenter asked: "Why is a woman preaching?"

The response he got was: "Today was women's Emphasis Sabbath."

He then responded: "Not being hateful. Just wondering. It just didn't seem to be right."

What are your thoughts about women preaching in church? I know Paul had something to say about women not teaching in the church but remaining silent (1 Tim. 2:12).

Was that Paul's personal belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with culture?

Share your thoughts...

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+4,160
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Even in the New Testament, prophetesses were given ear. In other words, even men listened to them because they spoke the words of God. They were merely a vessel God was using. So it wasn't the women advising the men or holding authority over men, but God. This would have been true in the Old Testament, especially. However, Judges 4:4 says, "Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, was judging Israel at that time.

If you really want to see this further, it wasn't just in church that women were not to speak or have authority over a man, but anywhere. How about women bosses. Or queens, or prime ministers? Or Mary?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+3,166
    Christian
    Married
    I see nothing wrong with it. God can speak to anyone and through anyone. I do find the only ones that are against it are usually denominations that are more "Women as to be quiet, dress in a long dress, wear a hair covering and be my servant!".

4. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+864
    Christian
    Married
    What do you believe Paul meant when he said, "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence" (1 Tim. 2:12)?

In saying, "I do not permit," was Paul sharing a personal opinion/belief? Was it a command of God? Did it have anything to do with the culture of the time? What did he mean by "authority"?

5. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+13,805
    Christian
    Married
    What we call "preaching" is what Paul called "prophesy" (prophets "proclaim the word of the Lord" a lot more often than they did soothsaying). In Paul's congregations, anyone might have the gift of prophesy--that is, the gift of accurately proclaiming the word of the Lord.

Modern congregations tend to confine the gift of prophesy to the office of "elder" (usually conflated with "pastor").

From the scriptural evidence, Paul would not have permitted women to be elders (at least not at that time).

There is no evidence that God ever confined the gift of prophesy to the office of "elder," however. 1 Corinthians 14 indicates that Paul expected women to be prophets as well as men.

In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. -- Acts 2

6. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+107,686
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    It depends on the occasion and the context i suspect. It is never proper or of God for a woman to "lord it over a man" (or anyone for that matter). God uses, depending on the circumstances, women to fill all kinds of roles. For instance Deborah, in the Old Testament, was a judge and a prophet, and led men into battle.

If we learn anything at all, God will use who He chooses, at any given time, to do as He wills, regardless of the social norms or preconceived notions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. RDKirk

+13,805
    Christian
    Married
    A "teacher" is also a different office from "preacher" (or, more accurately, "prophet").

In Paul's day, a teacher had disciplinary authority over his disciples. It appears that Paul did not permit women to have disciplinary authority over men. However, Paul did call on elder women to be teachers of younger women.

So Paul's actual practice was that women were teachers (and had disciplinary authority) of female disciples and men were teachers of male disciples.

A prophet does not have disciplinary authority over anyone, unless that particular prophet happens to be in the office of "elder" and also has the gift of prophesy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. brinny

+107,686
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I suspect it may have more to do with bossy obnoxious women and/or gossip, than anything else.

[​IMG]

"A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike." ~Proverbs 27:15

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. 1stcenturylady

+4,160
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    He tells us in the word that it is because Eve was the one deceived. There is a hierarchy. Personally, I see Adam's sin to be worse, as it was willful. In fact, they didn't even notice they were naked until Adam sinned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. 1stcenturylady

+4,160
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    But Deborah was a judge. Therefore, had disciplinary authority.

11. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+864
    Christian
    Married
    Please cite your sources. How do you substantiate this?

12. RDKirk

+13,805
    Christian
    Married
    The main and most important thing to know about the Book of Judges is that they were not doing things according to the intention of God. The entire concept of "judge" was a workaround on God's part caused by the Israelites refusing to obey Him otherwise.

The "judge" system of leadership is not what the Body of Christ is operating under. We have specific instructions to follow.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. RDKirk

+13,805
    Christian
    Married
    We have plenty of extra-biblical references to how teachers controlled their disciples, but we also have biblical references. I'd point to Jesus Himself:

Jesus could tell His disciples (paraphrasing), "All of you go to town and bring me back some food. I'll sit here at this well and talk to this woman while you do that."

Jesus could tell His disciples, "All of you go to town and get me a donkey. Then walk the donkey back out to me. I'll ride it while you walk."

Jesus could tell His disciple, "What did your father and mother name you? Simon was it? Well, from now on, your name is Peter."

Jesus could tell His disciple, "Get behind me!"

14. brinny

+107,686
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    i dunno....

God uses whom and/or what He sees fit.

That donkey comes to mind.

[​IMG]

15. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+3,166
    Christian
    Married
    I should point out two more things.

1. My mother in law is a pastor so I am biased.

2. I think sometimes people don't want women to be preach because sometimes women can be more emotional or catty then men can when it comes to especially other women. Not saying all women are like that of course. But I can see plenty of women who have "titles" at a church that are really bad at the job because they let their feelings get in the way like by having people help her that are part of "her group" but not having others help who she personally doesn't like for whatever issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+864
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, but the disciples acknowledged Jesus as Lord. Thus they would have done whatever He told them to do.

For exegetical purposes, it's good to have sources to validate a biblical interpretation. Do you have any valid sources related to what Paul said in 1Tim. 2:12 to back up your belief? Otherwise, people would just say it is your opinion.

17. brinny

+107,686
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Perhaps that is exactly what Paul was referring to.

[​IMG]

18. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,922
    Christian
    Private
    It had to do with the fall of Adam and Eve in the garden.

19. 1stcenturylady

+4,160
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I thought it was kings that wasn't part of God's plan, and judges were. All the pagan nations had kings so the Israelites wanted one too, and they chose Saul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. RDKirk

+13,805
    Christian
    Married
    There were supposed to be only people and priests. Notice that Joshua did not appoint any judges, nor was there always a judge. God called up a judge in times of extremity.

• List