Is it time to stop policing the black community?

Is it time to stop policing the black community?

• Total voters

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
~snip We white people all did and do

No, no you and all white people did not. There are changes in the laws benefitting people of all races because white people (the only ones who could vote at the time), chose to change things for the better. We don't have slavery in the US because Republicans (a whole bunch of white people), chose to lay their lives down for freedoms for other races.

I am not white, I have faced racism (I don't choose to dwell on it), and have found defenders both white and of other races.

You cannot summarily condemn and entire race for what some in that race did wrong and horrible things. There is not one race on the earth that does not have slavery and racism in their past.

You know how to tell if someone is racist? (My opinion) A racist focuses solely on race and ignores the quality of the person.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, no you and all white people did not. There are changes in the laws benefitting people of all races because white people (the only ones who could vote at the time), chose to change things for the better. We don't have slavery in the US because Republicans (a whole bunch of white people), chose to lay their lives down for freedoms for other races.

I am not white, I have faced racism (I don't choose to dwell on it), and have found defenders both white and of other races.

You cannot summarily condemn and entire race for what some in that race did wrong and horrible things. There is not one race on the earth that does not have slavery and racism in their past.

You know how to tell if someone is racist? (My opinion) A racist focuses solely on race and ignores the quality of the person.
A racist says and does racist things.

Plenty of them in this thread.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're aware it exists as you claim you are then you're not aware as to the extent of it. It is not "way down the list of black problems", it is at the top of the list.

Who arranges the list?

We white people all did and do. Here you are showing that your earlier claim that you're aware of it was just lip service because you just directly contradicted that. You said you're aware that it exists and now you claim it doesn't exist.

And therein lies the whole problem; double-talk to placate while at the same time rejecting responsibility.

Your presentation of your viewpoint here is just more evidence that you are currently and actively perpetuating it.

I'm suggesting solutions to the disparities between races. Racism is a fact of life that isn't going away.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the sake of racial justice perhaps we need different sets of laws for each ethnic group. Law enforcement in the black community has been troubling for both sides. Maybe they should be authorized to police their own communities. Thoughts?
Perhaps the solution could be having a segregated, all black police force to police the black communities. Then they can shoot whoever needs shooting without the fear of being racist.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the solution could be having a segregated, all black police force to police the black communities. Then they can shoot whoever needs shooting without the fear of being racist.
It would be better to have a police force that didn't shoot people who didn't need to be shot.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
To eliminate systemic racism. And that starts with white people all having an awareness that it does exist instead of denying that it exists and choosing to instead blame the victims of what they're perpetuating.

1. You can't really say what systemic racism is....I can't really be aware of a phenomenon that is undefined.

2. Does this look like a real solution to you? It's a problem that requires everyone to agree? Since that will never happen nor can we even know if it did....is it fair to say that you have no solutions to this problem you can't define?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
With white people it’s the present generation that’s lost it’s morals (to the point of selling drugs out of their HOME); whereas with blacks it’s the next generation?

Is selling drugs out of your home somehow less moral than selling it on the street?

I can understand why someone would see it that way. Another way to see it is...which behavior is less likely to get caught?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be better to have a police force that didn't shoot people who didn't need to be shot.
It would be better if people did not commit violent acts that required them to be shot by police in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like this?

This sentence literally attributes guilt to race.

Guilt is not a racial characteristic.

"The most difficult task that the 'race hustlers' face is imputing guilt to the guiltless." -OldWiseGuy

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,207.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It would be better if people did not commit violent acts that required them to be shot by police in the first place.

I am left wondering about the 'violent acts' of George Floyd, Daunte Wright and other black men and women shot by police officers recently.

Then again violent acts do not 'require' the police to kill anybody. There are numerous recent incidents where violence was countered by the police in such a way as to avoid any shooting at all. Actually that is the usual outcome in civilised countries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am left wondering about the 'violent acts' of George Floyd, Daunte Wright and other black men and women shot by police officers recently.

Then again violent acts do not 'require' the police to kill anybody. There are numerous recent incidents where violence was countered by the police in such a way as to avoid any shooting at all. Actually that is the usual outcome in civilised countries.

I don't think anyone assumes that violent acts require police to kill. It's a simplistic talking point that brings emotions out, but not much more. It works in our media, and they love to push that to make money.

You normally get called names/maligned when you point this out, but that's because they don't have anything more worthy to present. Have you noticed that people always talk about how we need to have 'discussions' etc about stuff? You can't have those under those circumstances. Which tells you they don't discussions...and you have to wonder about their motive of their really want.

I mean did you know that numerous recent incidents where violence was countered by police doesn't always end up with killing anyone or shooting? Yes, it happens everyday...but it doesn't sell headlines. There was also a case just like Floyd's, and yet because he wasn't black...and was murdered by the police...no one knows his name. You know why? His headline isn't profit worthy. His death doesn't drill up a narrative that people feel needs to be addressed.

Our media and politicians are pushing the great divide right now, and are very selective on what they promote. Journalists used to have ethics within their craft, but they get fired or pushed out if they use them now. The journalists are more my worry - politicians of any party are always slime on some level.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone assumes that violent acts require police to kill. It's a simplistic talking point that brings emotions out, but not much more. It works in our media, and they love to push that to make money.

You normally get called names/maligned when you point this out, but that's because they don't have anything more worthy to present. Have you noticed that people always talk about how we need to have 'discussions' etc about stuff? You can't have those under those circumstances. Which tells you they don't discussions...and you have to wonder about their motive of their really want.

I mean did you know that numerous recent incidents where violence was countered by police doesn't always end up with killing anyone or shooting? Yes, it happens everyday...but it doesn't sell headlines. There was also a case just like Floyd's, and yet because he wasn't black...and was murdered by the police...no one knows his name. You know why? His headline isn't profit worthy. His death doesn't drill up a narrative that people feel needs to be addressed.

Our media and politicians are pushing the great divide right now, and are very selective on what they promote. Journalists used to have ethics within their craft, but they get fired or pushed out if they use them now. The journalists are more my worry - politicians of any party are always slime on some level.
I agree. In the Andrew Brown case I cited above I don't know whether the deputies involved were white or black and it doesn't make any difference. Andrew Brown was black and that really doesn't make any difference, either. An unarmed man suspected of a non-violent drug offense was shot in the back multiple times while fleeing. The deputies weren't even there to arrest him, merely to execute a search warrant. Cops like that should not be policing anybody's community.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Uh huh....

Police in the US get shot at hundreds of times a year.

What comparable country are you think of?

Upvote 0