Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do Americans want an authoritarion government? Just last night, Trump reminded voters again that he admires the likes of Viktor Orban:

During a Saturday night rally, former president Donald Trump reiterated his praise for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who has amassed functionally autocratic power by changing his country’s constitution and controlling the media. “It’s nice to have a strong man leading your country,”

The Democracy Project released a report last week summarizing Trump's plans to consolidate power in a 2nd term:

“As damaging as Trump’s first term was to American systems of constitutional government, culminating in his efforts to overturn an election and violently halt the counting of electoral votes by Congress, what he has promised in his own words to do if returned to office would be even more destructive to our Republic.”

Trump has already told us repeatedly what he plans to do, the authors write, but this time, he has the backing of “groups working to support those promises in preparation for a second Trump term.”

• Pardons to License Lawbreaking: During Trump’s first term, he discovered that he could leverage the pardon power to induce witnesses against him into silence. In a second term, he has indicated he would further abuse pardons to incite political violence, incentivize lawbreaking for his benefit, and render himself above the law.
  • Directing Investigations Against Critics and Rivals: Retribution is the dominant theme of Trump’s 2024 campaign, and his allies are making plans to eliminate the Department of Justice’s traditional prosecutorial independence to give Trump greater personal control to direct law enforcement against his perceived opponents and insulate himself from accountability.
  • Regulatory Retaliation: In addition to steering prosecutorial discretion via the Department of Justice, Trump has vowed to consolidate and wield federal regulatory power to reward political loyalty and punish his critics, particularly those associated with the media. There are numerous reports of this regulatory retaliation happening during Trump’s first term, and plans for a second include ways of removing those obstacles that limited opportunities for more.
  • Federal Law Enforcement Overreach: Trump’s declaration that immigration is “poisoning the blood of our country” is a grim foreshadowing of how he will invoke the Alien Enemies Act, a wartime provision dating back to 1798. Once Trump has that power, he has also expressed his will to expand the footprint of federal law enforcement to police cities and shut down lawful protests.
  • Domestic Deployment of the Military: A central hallmark of American democracy is that the U.S. military not be used against American citizens. But Trump plans to abuse the Insurrection Act to order military force to quash dissent and target vulnerable communities.

read the entire report here:

• Wow
Reactions: DaisyDay

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do Americans want an authoritarion government?
Well, let's see. In the past three years we've seen calls in the US to limit the 1st Amendment, with the article that our founders couldn't have envisioned today's technology. We've seen threats to use the FBI to go after parents who object to the policies of their school boards, and apparently there are those who think this is proper. So yes, I fear that, deep down, Americans do favor authoritarianism.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's see. In the past three years we've seen calls in the US to limit the 1st Amendment, with the article that our founders couldn't have envisioned today's technology. We've seen threats to use the FBI to go after parents who object to the policies of their school boards, and apparently there are those who think this is proper. So yes, I fear that, deep down, Americans do favor authoritarianism.

There was also that thing back in January 2021, or does that not fit the revisionist narrative?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was also that thing back in January 2021, or does that not fit the revisionist narrative?

Rest assured, the J6 "hostages" will be fully pardoned and praised for their heroic acts. And of course, a "self-pardon"

Pardons to License Lawbreaking: During Trump’s first term, he discovered that he could leverage the pardon power to induce witnesses against him into silence. In a second term, he has indicated he would further abuse pardons to incite political violence, incentivize lawbreaking for his benefit, and render himself above the law.

“[M]y answer is I am most likely—if I get in, I will most likely—I would say it will be a large portion of them. ... And it’ll be very early on.”
Trump’s answer when asked in a May 2023 Town Hall if he will pardon rioters convicted of federal offenses related to the January 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

“I will tell you, I will look very, very favorably about full pardons. If I decide to run and if I win, I will be looking very, very strongly about pardons. Full pardons...We’ll be looking very, very seriously at full pardons because we can’t let that happen. ... And I mean full pardons with an apology to many.”
Donald Trump speaking about January 6, 2021 rioters in a September 2022 interview.

From the report:

Based on his promises, plans, powers, and precedent, we can anticipate a future President Trump to issue three types of henchmen pardons. Those that:

• License violence by his allies;
  • Reward illegal political activity that accrued to his benefit; and
  • Protect himself from accountability for lawbreaking.

• Wow
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

TrueBeliever1989

Jan 25, 2024
Johnson City, TN
✟333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a thought experiment for my fellow Christians who are casting their votes for Donald Trump. If you'd like to play along, there is one rule. You have to answer it with one word and you have to make a choice.

If you had to choose a new pastor to lead your church and God gave you two choices and said you have to choose one, who would you choose?

Would you choose the guy who goes to church regularly or the guy who can't recite a single bible verse?

Would you choose the guy who’s paid off his son’s mistakes or the guy who’s paid off hookers?

Would you choose the guy who's still married to the mother of his children, or the guy who has cheated on every wife with the next wife and been convicted of rape in court?

Would you choose the guy who’s last church was liberal and still tells him what to do, or the guy whose last church was split in half and still hates him?

Would you choose the guy who's got a job, or the guy who's out on bail?

Would you choose the guy whose Christmas message was “love your enemies” or the guy whose Christmas message was “may they rot in hell”? That was LITERALLY Trump's message to America on Christmas, no exaggerating...

Now it's time to answer which one of these guys you would like to lead your church, because one of them is going to no matter what but you get to choose which. Would you choose the first guy or the second guy?

You can only answer with one word or you lose. First or second? Choosing neither is a forfeit.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rest assured, the J6 "hostages" will be fully pardoned and praised for their heroic acts. And of course, a "self-pardon"

“[M]y answer is I am most likely—if I get in, I will most likely—I would say it will be a large portion of them. ... And it’ll be very early on.”
Trump’s answer when asked in a May 2023 Town Hall if he will pardon rioters convicted of federal offenses related to the January 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

“I will tell you, I will look very, very favorably about full pardons. If I decide to run and if I win, I will be looking very, very strongly about pardons. Full pardons...We’ll be looking very, very seriously at full pardons because we can’t let that happen. ... And I mean full pardons with an apology to many.”
Donald Trump speaking about January 6, 2021 rioters in a September 2022 interview.

From the report:

Based on his promises, plans, powers, and precedent, we can anticipate a future President Trump to issue three types of henchmen pardons. Those that:

• License violence by his allies;
  • Reward illegal political activity that accrued to his benefit; and
  • Protect himself from accountability for lawbreaking.
There were people who just walked in and received prison sentences for just being there. There was a guy who received no prison time, do you think this is inciting violence? Here is the video of Ray Epps:

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There were people who just walked in and received prison sentences for just being there. There was a guy who received no prison time, do you think this is inciting violence? Here is the video of Ray Epps:
He got one count of Disorderly or Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds. I think that it's probably a bad idea to follow in right behind the guys breaking down a temporary barricade to the Capitol.

But yeah in general trespassing into places you aren't allowed to be in is a crime, so "just walking in" to a place you know you aren't supposed to be in is something that can result in a prison sentence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Incitement requires some proximity to the event of the crime and a plausible influence. Some random old guy in camo flapping his yap the night before to people who had never met him before and didn't know who he was doesn't meet any kind criteria for incitement.
He got one count of Disorderly or Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds. I think that it's probably a bad idea to follow in right behind the guys breaking down a temporary barricade to the Capitol.

But yeah in general trespassing into places you aren't allowed to be in is a crime, so "just walking in" to a place you know you aren't supposed to be in is something that can result in a prison sentence.

This is an important point. As far as the crime he was actually charged with (trespass) he had exactly zero excuse. He clearly saw the police guarding the outer barrier to the Capitol grounds, saw the first (violent) effort to remove those barriers and followed right in afterward.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Incitement requires some proximity to the event of the crime and a plausible influence. Some random old guy in camo flapping his yap the night before to people who had never met him before and didn't know who he was doesn't meet any kind criteria for incitement.

This is an important point. As far as the crime he was actually charged with (trespass) he had exactly zero excuse. He clearly saw the police guarding the outer barrier to the Capitol grounds, saw the first (violent) effort to remove those barriers and followed right in afterward.
There you go.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you now understand why Epps was guilty of what he plead to and not to incitement then? I hope so.
I understand that the sentence he received was far out of line with the rest of the sentencing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Do Americans want an authoritarion government? Just last night, Trump reminded voters again that he admires the likes of Viktor Orban:

During a Saturday night rally, former president Donald Trump reiterated his praise for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who has amassed functionally autocratic power by changing his country’s constitution and controlling the media. “It’s nice to have a strong man leading your country,”

The Democracy Project released a report last week summarizing Trump's plans to consolidate power in a 2nd term:

“As damaging as Trump’s first term was to American systems of constitutional government, culminating in his efforts to overturn an election and violently halt the counting of electoral votes by Congress, what he has promised in his own words to do if returned to office would be even more destructive to our Republic.”

Trump has already told us repeatedly what he plans to do, the authors write, but this time, he has the backing of “groups working to support those promises in preparation for a second Trump term.”

• Pardons to License Lawbreaking: During Trump’s first term, he discovered that he could leverage the pardon power to induce witnesses against him into silence. In a second term, he has indicated he would further abuse pardons to incite political violence, incentivize lawbreaking for his benefit, and render himself above the law.
  • Directing Investigations Against Critics and Rivals: Retribution is the dominant theme of Trump’s 2024 campaign, and his allies are making plans to eliminate the Department of Justice’s traditional prosecutorial independence to give Trump greater personal control to direct law enforcement against his perceived opponents and insulate himself from accountability.
  • Regulatory Retaliation: In addition to steering prosecutorial discretion via the Department of Justice, Trump has vowed to consolidate and wield federal regulatory power to reward political loyalty and punish his critics, particularly those associated with the media. There are numerous reports of this regulatory retaliation happening during Trump’s first term, and plans for a second include ways of removing those obstacles that limited opportunities for more.
  • Federal Law Enforcement Overreach: Trump’s declaration that immigration is “poisoning the blood of our country” is a grim foreshadowing of how he will invoke the Alien Enemies Act, a wartime provision dating back to 1798. Once Trump has that power, he has also expressed his will to expand the footprint of federal law enforcement to police cities and shut down lawful protests.
  • Domestic Deployment of the Military: A central hallmark of American democracy is that the U.S. military not be used against American citizens. But Trump plans to abuse the Insurrection Act to order military force to quash dissent and target vulnerable communities.

read the entire report here:
Perhaps if politicians did their jobs properly, authoritarians would not be so popular. Is anyone as tired as I am of being told what to believe, to pander to illegal immigrants pretending to be refugees, and to accept men masquerading as women as something normal? The fact that such idiocy has to be legislated says it all. How about a government that works to provide conditions for businesses to prosper and provide employment and tax revenue? How about a military that can protect the nation from enemies? How about education that turns out students who can read, write and spell? No, we have some governments that try to socially engineer their societies into woke, progressive, spineless narcissists. The older generation resists this. Young people are much more easily manipulated.

Don't worry too much about the American military. There are so few able bodied and mentally competent young people that recruitment is a serious issue. Australia is considering allowing foreign nationals to join our military. It's not a problem unique to the USA. No wonder everyone is looking at drones and robot soldiers. They don't get drunk, do drugs, rebel against authority, worry about breaking a finger nail (the men, I mean) and they will not refuse to fight if it is too hot or too cold.

Authoritarians are not the answer. But they are not the people in power at present in America, Canada or Australia. I long thought that Mr Trump won because he was not Hilary Clinton. I wonder if the "I'm not Joe Biden" factor will influence the next election.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I understand that the sentence he received was far out of line with the rest of the sentencing.
For a single misdemeanor, no, Epps' sentence was well within the range of others similarly convicted.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So he's planning on pardoning people who broke the law to go trespass into the Capitol to show their support for him.
That seems bad.

Most charges for non-violent offenses during the 500 BLM riots were dropped.

Seems fair.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps if politicians did their jobs properly, authoritarians would not be so popular. Is anyone as tired as I am of being told what to believe, to pander to illegal immigrants pretending to be refugees, and to accept men masquerading as women as something normal? The fact that such idiocy has to be legislated says it all. How about a government that works to provide conditions for businesses to prosper and provide employment and tax revenue? How about a military that can protect the nation from enemies? How about education that turns out students who can read, write and spell? No, we have some governments that try to socially engineer their societies into woke, progressive, spineless narcissists. The older generation resists this. Young people are much more easily manipulated.

Well put.

Don't worry too much about the American military. There are so few able bodied and mentally competent young people that recruitment is a serious issue. Australia is considering allowing foreign nationals to join our military. It's not a problem unique to the USA. No wonder everyone is looking at drones and robot soldiers. They don't get drunk, do drugs, rebel against authority, worry about breaking a finger nail (the men, I mean) and they will not refuse to fight if it is too hot or too cold.

Robot soldiers and AI will be fun.

Authoritarians are not the answer. But they are not the people in power at present in America, Canada or Australia. I long thought that Mr Trump won because he was not Hilary Clinton. I wonder if the "I'm not Joe Biden" factor will influence the next election.

Rome was split between its two main political bodies for decades...and 2 civil wars.

One can make an argument that the empire would have collapsed much sooner without Caesar.

Upvote 0