Is the USA a Constitutional Republic or a Democracy?

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not really an "either/or" scenario.

A republic is under the umbrella of democracy (as one of the many forms)

It's a representative democracy in some facets and not a complete "direct democracy".

To my recollection, Switzerland is the only country left that has anything resembling "direct democracy" implemented in any large way (and that's only within a few of their administrative districts at the local and canton levels)

As one would imagine, that can get cumbersome and messy.

Point of comparison (per Wiki)
Between January 1995 and June 2005, Swiss citizens voted 31 times, on 103 federal questions, plus many more cantonal and municipal questions.[29] During the same period, French citizens participated in only two referendums.[26]

So, practically speaking, one could feasibly end up having 5-6 voting days per year (and be prepared to be there for quite a while you fill out a ballot containing 60 different things on it each time)

One can see why most democracies have forgone the direct approach, and went with representative forms.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To my recollection, Switzerland is the only country left that has anything resembling "direct democracy" implemented in any large way (and that's only within a few of their administrative districts at the local and canton levels)
Various US states allow for citizen ballot initiatives - basically, legislation by direct democracy. And some of the issues addressed are pretty huge.

I'm not a fan, even tho ive seen some good policy result from this.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's nice and all, but the question in the OP is about what the US is, not what it was early last century.

Bit in any cases, how many pages until we get to the arguments that state reps need to select their electors rather than have the general voting public do it? Isn't that the point of this sort of rhetoric - to support efforts to get GOP candidates elected even when they lose?
No. Your assertion is incorrect.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And reading about it dog catchers are virtually never elected.
Never mind, it is still a popular metaphor for a mundane and basically apolitical officer, the only kind, apparently, that the American people can be trusted to vote for.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
A constitutional republic and a democracy are two different forms of government, each with their own set of principles and characteristics. A constitutional republic, such as the United States, is a form of government where the powers of the government are limited by the law, specifically by a constitution. In a constitutional republic, the citizens elect representatives to govern on their behalf. The government's powers are defined and limited by the constitution, and the rule of law is supreme. The constitution is the highest legal authority and protects the rights of the citizens. On the other hand, a democracy is a form of government where the people have the power to make decisions directly or through elected representatives.

In a democracy, the majority rules, and the minority has to accept the decisions made by the majority. In a direct democracy, citizens have the power to vote on laws and policies directly, while in a representative democracy, citizens elect representatives to make decisions on their behalf.

The main difference between a constitutional republic and a democracy is that in a constitutional republic, the government's powers are limited by the constitution, protecting the rights of the citizens, while in a democracy, the majority has the power to make decisions, which could potentially lead to the oppression of the minority.
Couldn't you be wrong in private?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the very first word of the thread title? Notice how it is repeated in my post when describing the subject of the thread.
Bit in any cases, how many pages until we get to the arguments that state reps need to select their electors rather than have the general voting public do it? Isn't that the point of this sort of rhetoric - to support efforts to get GOP candidates elected even when they lose?

In a Constitutional Republic, the USA has not had the state reps to select their electors rather than the general voting public in a very long time. There is absolutely nobody whom I am aware of on the conservative side of politics that is calling for that to happen. As for your second assertion, the election of 2020 broke many state laws across the nation. Massive mail in ballots changed everything when it comes to elections. Election integrity needs to be secure. The Democratic party won with the changes of rules and laws in 2020 and 2022. Now, under those same election laws and rules, the GOP will be using those same election rules and laws as they attempt to play catch up to the Democratic party's mastery of utilizing those rules.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
...As for your second assertion, the election of 2020 broke many state laws across the nation.
Where might one find the court cases where this is affirmed?

Massive mail in ballots changed everything when it comes to elections.

The venue of the ballots changed, from the local polling place to the living room or kitchen.
Election integrity needs to be secure. The Democratic party won with the changes of rules and laws in 2020 and 2022.
The (GOP-led) legislature of Pennsylvania instituted new Mail-In procedures in 2019 then tried to sue arguing that they themselves did not abide by the Commonwealth’s Constitution.

Now, under those same election laws and rules, the GOP will be using those same election rules and laws as they attempt to play catch up to the Democratic party's mastery of utilizing those rules.
Yes, both Parties will play by the same rules, that’s how these things go.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean, specifically?
I've quoted the wrong part of the OP. I don't see the value in posting wrong things online, unless the aim is to reduce your credibility.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've quoted the wrong part of the OP. I don't see the value in posting wrong things online, unless the aim is to reduce your credibility.
There is nothing incorrect with that post which you had quoted and responded to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing incorrect with that post which you had quoted and responded to.
I see that you still insist on being wrong in public.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see that you still insist on being wrong in public.
I see that you still insist on being unable to understand the differences between a constitutional republic and a democracy.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I see that you still insist on being unable to understand the differences between a constitutional republic and a democracy.
And why have you decided to create this threat to illuminate everyone on this board about your erroneous understanding of those terms?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As for your second assertion

Correction - the bits of my post you quoted are questions, not assertions. The hint is the squiggly symbol at the end.
The "assertion" was, for some reason, edited out of the quote of my post. I can only imagine why this was necessary.

Now, under those same election laws and rules, the GOP will be using those same election rules and laws as they attempt to play catch up to the Democratic party's mastery of utilizing those rules.
That doesn't seem to be the case : Trump's RNC officially kills the GOP's mail-in voter effort. Instead, they seem to be ideologically committed to not "utilizing those rules" because dear leader has said the rules are wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And why have you decided to create this threat to illuminate everyone on this board about your erroneous understanding of those terms?
Why do you continue to display your apparent ignorance?

Upvote 0