Is it time to stop policing the black community?

Is it time to stop policing the black community?

• Total voters

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
South Africa's problems have little to do with the history of apartheid just as the problems blacks face here has little to do with racism.
Rubbish. Colonialism and racism. Ring any bells. Although to be fair they did not engage in genocide quite as much as whites in the conquest of the Americas.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"The most difficult task that the 'race hustlers' face is imputing guilt to the guiltless." -OldWiseGuy

I used to think the same....but apparently a lot of people are fully willing to ascribe to a guilt they can never make amends for.

They've decided it's a feature of their race so it's not something they can change.

No....the most difficult task is hiding their failures.

If someone has the same answer to every problem....they aren't good at understanding problems. They won't be any good at solving them either. That's hard to hide

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rubbish. Colonialism and racism. Ring any bells. Although to be fair they did not engage in genocide quite as much as whites in the conquest of the Americas.

It's the ghost of slavery that haunts many blacks yet today, blacks that never suffered under it. I just wonder what the fear is today. Of course it doesn't help when a national Democrat leader warns that the Republican party "wants to put ya'll back in chains."

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's the ghost of slavery that haunts many blacks yet today, blacks that never suffered under it. I just wonder what the fear is today. Of course it doesn't help when a national Democrat leader warns that the Republican party "wants to put ya'll back in chains."
It's not just slavery. Within living memory, white men were stringing up random black men just for the fun of it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not just slavery. Within living memory, white men were stringing up random black men just for the fun of it.

And today you've got blacks senselessly killing whites. Many just to 'even the score'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's the ghost of slavery that haunts many blacks yet today, blacks that never suffered under it.

I highly recommend "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. While people today haven't experienced slavery, the follow-on of Jim Crow still reverberates today. Systemic racism is real, whether we in White America want to believe it or not.

I just wonder what the fear is today.

Hmmm, how about 43 states immediately enacting restrictive voting laws that look a LOT like they are aimed at people of color right after one of the biggest bigots in the Oval Office lost his bid for re-election?

Maybe (just hear me out on this) it's also scary to think that one can be killed on the street for passing a fake $20 or selling loose cigarettes. I know those are horrible crimes, like hanging an air freshener in one's rearview...but it seems that maybe the "auto-death-sentence" option is a bit too far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I highly recommend "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. While people today haven't experienced slavery, the follow-on of Jim Crow still reverberates today. Systemic racism is real, whether we in White America want to believe it or not.

"Systemic racism" is a vague term, but I suspect it's the natural result of people who are widely different ethnically and culturally occupying the same space.

Hmmm, how about 43 states immediately enacting restrictive voting laws that look a LOT like they are aimed at people of color right after one of the biggest bigots in the Oval Office lost his bid for re-election?

A natural response to what is believed to be election fraud.

Maybe (just hear me out on this) it's also scary to think that one can be killed on the street for passing a fake $20 or selling loose cigarettes. I know those are horrible crimes, like hanging an air freshener in one's rearview...but it seems that maybe the "auto-death-sentence" option is a bit too far.

Blacks receive more policing because of high crime rates in black neighborhoods. Blacks also call the police into their neighborhoods more often than others, thus elevating the risk of deadly responses by them.

Do you think there should be less policing in minority neighborhoods?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can you give an example of systemic racism that exist today?
Kinda funny how the smallest infractions can lead to your death if you refuse to cooperate with the police.

• Agree
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If someone has the same answer to every problem....they aren't good at understanding problems. They won't be any good at solving them either. That's hard to hide

I think I have discovered a phenomenon that may reveal why this is so. The solution to their problems is found in white culture and behavior (When in Rome...), which is unacceptable to a large segment of the black community, mainly the underclass. This is something that we can't fix.

Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you think there should be less policing in minority neighborhoods?

Given that studies show that black neighborhoods are "over-policed" thereby increasing the possibility of bad outcomes, then "yes".

Statistics show that black kids use drugs at about the same rate as white kids yet it is almost guaranteed that for the same crime a black kid will get prison time, while the white kid gets a mild slap on the wrist. This builds the "school-to-prison pipeline".

There IS systemic racism...it isn't just "seems". This doesn't mean we are a messed-up society. But if we act like it doesn't exist despite the massive data it would make us a very, very bad society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can you give an example of systemic racism that exist today?

Disparity in sentencing and prosecutions:
Racial Disparity in Sentencing

Kinda funny how the smallest infractions can lead to your death if you refuse to cooperate with the police.

I didn't see George Floyd refusing to cooperate. Ultimately he cooperated to the full extent and died.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Given that studies show that black neighborhoods are "over-policed" thereby increasing the possibility of bad outcomes, then "yes".

Statistics show that black kids use drugs at about the same rate as white kids yet it is almost guaranteed that for the same crime a black kid will get prison time, while the white kid gets a mild slap on the wrist. This builds the "school-to-prison pipeline".

There IS systemic racism...it isn't just "seems". This doesn't mean we are a messed-up society. But if we act like it doesn't exist despite the massive data it would make us a very, very bad society.

Black kids go to prison for drug related crimes, often violent, not for just 'using' drugs.

Racism isn't a one way street. Much of the problem is black racism. How do we deal with that?

Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Black kids go to prison for drug related crimes, often violent, not for just 'using' drugs.

Spin it as you need to.

Racism isn't a one way street. Much of the problem is black racism. How do we deal with that?

I have never in my entire 56 years on this planet suffered racism at the hands of black people.

I honestly don't even know what that would look like.

Upvote 0