Is it possible to keep the 10 commandments?

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Jesus is primarily referring to His New Covenant teachings or commands and not the 10 alone. Yes, 9 out of the 10 Commands in the 10 Commandments (Minus the Sabbath) have been repeated in the New Testament for us, but the Lord was referring to the commands given by Him and His followers (like Peter, James, Paul, etc.).

Also, the Old Covenant Commands was more than just the 10. There were 615 Commands in the Law of Moses. At the time Jesus said these words in John 14:15, they would have been a mixture of certain Old Covenant Laws that were still in effect and the Pre-Cross teachings He gave us. Some of these OT Laws were changed even before the cross by Jesus Christ Himself.

For example, Jesus said,
38 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:38-39).

But after Jesus died upon the cross, the Old Covenant was no more and many of it's laws (not all of them) do not apply anymore. For the Old Law (as a whole or package deal) is dead and no more.

"we are not under the law," (Romans 6:15).
"ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ;" (Romans 7:4).
"But now we are delivered from the law," (Romans 7:6).
"In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away." (Hebrews 8:13).
7 "But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious." (2 Corinthians 3:7-11).​

But just because the Old Law is no more as a whole or package deal does not mean we are not under laws from God. We are under a New Covenant, with New Commands.

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6).

3 "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

14 "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." (Revelation 22:14-15).

Jesus's sacrifice and or blood started a New Covenant. We are now officially under the New Covenant commands. Granted, there are some "Moral Laws" like inappropriate behavior with animals, etc. that are not mentioned in the New Testament (But it is condemned in the Old Testament Law) that still applies obviously. But we as believers primarily look to the pages of the New Testament to obey God and not the pages of the Old Testament. The Old Law is only good if one uses it lawfully (See 1 Timothy 1:8).
Great post.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Playing games? Never! You wanted Hebrew text. You got it. Now translate and explain it. The posting of Hebrew script does nothing for the readers of this forum.

Your text has nothing to do with our discussion. I proved to you that Shabbat was in Genesis from the Hebrew and then the English translation. You were wrong. Do you admit it or not? I am not going to play your silly games...you are either interested in learning or you are not.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
On the 7th day God rested....
The 7th day and the sabbath day aren't the same thing. If it were Moses would have used the word "sabbath" in Genesis 2. The 4th commandment says "wherefore" in Exodus and "therefore" in Deuteronomy. Both indicate cause. Neither say "is."

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The 7th day and the sabbath day aren't the same thing. If it were Moses would have used the word "sabbath" in Genesis 2. The 4th commandment says "wherefore" in Exodus and "therefore" in Deuteronomy. Both indicate cause. Neither say "is."

WOW, just WOW! SMH

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is all very nice.
But could you please exegete
Mathew 5:17-20
You know what exegete means, apparently, so please do it.

(since you say we are no longer under the law and Jesus says we are)
He did...literally in the very post you quoted. It's like you asked him what 2+2 equals, he told you, "four," and you replied, "Now tell me what 2+2 equals." :doh:

Please post scripture that states ALL WE HAVE TO DO is love.
Thanks.
You mean like Luke 10:25-37? This is really basic stuff. :wave:

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So you don't know what it means to exegete a verse.
Interesting. (since you're the one who told me I don't know what the word means, incl eisegesis).
Pay attention when I do this...you could find out.
Yes, I know. Do you the definition

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your text has nothing to do with our discussion. I proved to you that Shabbat was in Genesis from the Hebrew and then the English translation. You were wrong. Do you admit it or not? I am not going to play your silly games...you are either interested in learning or you are not.
Yes it does. The text I provided says the new covenant isn't like the old covenant (ten commandments Deuteronomy 4:13). The subject is the law. The law isn't valid having no jurisdiction over the Christian. The sabbath is the law because the law is a single indivisible unit. Paul shows the ten commandments to be the law in Romans 7. This includes the 4th. There's no command in the NT requiring the keeping of the sabbath. Paul says returning to the law voids salvation in Galatians 3 and 5.

Have to go.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Your objection is...

In English for you:
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.

Upvote 0