Is it normal for Christians to have opposing views?

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although yes we are water baptized and we are commanded to be water baptized. Yet water baptism itself is not actually what washes away our sin. We know this because the thief on the cross was not water baptized, yet it's clear he was atoned for. And I'm sure there are situations people find themselves in where they become believers and die before they are able to be baptized.

Note Acts 22:16 ".... arise, be baptized and wash away your sins, calling upon the name of the Lord." It doesn't say be baptized washing away your sin / connecting the washing of the sin to the baptism. It says be baptized and wash away your sins. What is actually doing the washing? (Calling upon the name of the Lord.)

1 John 1:7 It's the blood of Christ that cleanses one of their sin.

1 Peter 1:18-19 also says it's the blood of Christ that cleanses people.
I disagree 100%
The word says it is by baptism we are cleansed. Is it beyond Gods ability to use baptism as the method of contacting the blood of our Lord? Many struggle with this just as Naaman found it foolish to dip 7 times in the filthy Jordan to cleanse his leprosy. And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. - Acts 22:16
The Bible precisely says baptism washes our sins away.
Calling on the name of the Lord.
Calling on = epikaleō means to unvoke or appeal to

Name = onoma which means authority
We are to arise and be baptised and wash away thy sins apealling to or invoking the authority of the Lord.

I know the blood of Christ cleanses us.
I also know the Bible says we are cleansed when we are baptized.

Why does it HAVE to be one or the other?
Why can't both be true?
According to God's word they are...

In Him

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here I will give a scenario.

Christian A, and Christian B.

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

But Christian A and Christian B disagree on certain doctrines.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

Why would the Holy Spirit lead Christians into contradictory views?
Possibly He hasn't led either of them to truth yet, they are both on a journey of discovery.

No one gets born again and filled with the Spirit and knows all truth. God doesn't work like that. He guides us into truth. It takes time. He does it in numerous ways. And they might not know all of truth by the end of their lives because the Holy Spirit is often more interested in our character than our finer points of doctrine

Upvote 0

Artra

The unforgivable sin is not repenting
Jan 31, 2019
United States
✟13,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Old Testament and New Testament aren't usually referred to as "doctrine"; yet I suppose that if one is examining what the two are saying, they would be looking at "doctrine"; so what you are saying there could loosely apply.

People who are regenerated by the Spirit are going to be seeking truth. I agree with that also. But they don't need "Spirit energy radiating from you" when He indwells them Himself.

Also, our understanding of doctrine does not come from "letting the Spirit grow". It comes from reading the Scripture. If you don't want to be led astray than; it behoves you to know what's written in the book.

The Old Testament and New Testament aren't usually referred to as "doctrine"; yet I suppose that if one is examining what the two are saying, they would be looking at "doctrine"; so what you are saying there could loosely apply.

Yes they are set apart and placed above other doctrines in that they are the Truth and because of that they are quintessential. My heart didn't bear any disrespect in the wording (I am newly reconverted) but I'll remember how you felt about the connotation so I can help spread the Message better.

The Spirit is Him residing and working within us. When the Spirit radiates within us, He (I might've said "It" before, I'm sorry) reforms us in ways that people who aren't completely running or hiding from the Faith take notice. He also encourages us to seek out ways to grow the Spirit in us like reading Scripture. If another Christian holds doctrine that seems strange, I believe the example you set and the wisdom you give will eventually shine through, so we don't have to worry about who's right as long as we concentrate on what the Book says alone and how He is guiding us to understand it.

I am fairly newly reconverted and still growing in faith. If my words don't sound right, I will understand if you reject them. I believe every voice has the right to be dignified in tone as long as they fully believe and are honest in what they're saying, and will adapt if someone corrects them and their heart agrees. You've very likely been a Christian longer than I have so I'll consider what you've said. I'll also change my title so people know.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I disagree 100%
The word says it is by baptism we are cleansed. Is it beyond Gods ability to use baptism as the method of contacting the blood of our Lord? Many struggle with this just as Naaman found it foolish to dip 7 times in the filthy Jordan to cleanse his leprosy. And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. - Acts 22:16
The Bible precisely says baptism washes our sins away.
Calling on the name of the Lord.
Calling on = epikaleō means to unvoke or appeal to

Name = onoma which means authority
We are to arise and be baptised and wash away thy sins apealling to or invoking the authority of the Lord.

I know the blood of Christ cleanses us.
I also know the Bible says we are cleansed when we are baptized.

Why does it HAVE to be one or the other?
Why can't both be true?
According to God's word they are...

In Him

What do you do with the thief on the cross then? Or people who die without the opportunity to be water baptized? Like those in a prison camp. What about people on their death beds in a hospital? Or people who can not be immersed? (Now I'm making an assumption here that you believe immersion is the only proper baptism.)

What about those instances. Are they denied entrance into the kingdom because they can not be water baptized?

And now I'd have to ask you, based on what you've said about Acts 22:16. If water baptism has washed away your sin; what is the point of "appealing to or invoking the authority of the Lord" in the remainder of that verse?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

Your premise is wrong. That is not how it works.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes they are set apart and placed above other doctrines in that they are the Truth and because of that they are quintessential. My heart didn't bear any disrespect in the wording (I am newly reconverted) but I'll remember how you felt about the connotation so I can help spread the Message better.

The Spirit is Him residing and working within us. When the Spirit radiates within us, He (I might've said "It" before, I'm sorry) reforms us in ways that people who aren't completely running or hiding from the Faith take notice. He also encourages us to seek out ways to grow the Spirit in us like reading Scripture. If another Christian holds doctrine that seems strange, I believe the example you set and the wisdom you give will eventually shine through, so we don't have to worry about who's right as long as we concentrate on what the Book says alone and how He is guiding us to understand it.

I am fairly newly reconverted and still growing in faith. If my words don't sound right, I will understand if you reject them. I believe every voice has the right to be dignified in tone as long as they fully believe and are honest in what they're saying, and will adapt if someone corrects them and their heart agrees. You've very likely been a Christian longer than I have so I'll consider what you've said. I'll also change my title so people know.

Admittedly, you're a bit difficult to understand. I'm going to guess English is not your first language.

Keep studying and praying. This is pretty much how we learn truth.

• Useful
Reactions: Artra
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Holy Spirit will only lead a filled Christian to the truth. So it is possible that one of the views is incorrect or both views are incorrect if the doctrine is man made.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you do with the thief on the cross then?
1) The thief on the cross lived and died before the church was born on the day of pentecost.
2) Regardless of when the thief lived or died Jesus forgave him before He died.

Either way the thief is not applicable.

Or people who die without the opportunity to be water baptized?
How many people can not be baptized? How many people don't have access to a bath tub, pool, pond, lake, river -- those who believe can find a way. Would Naaman had his leprosy cleansed if he had refused to dip in the Jordan? No. Either we believe God's word or we don't.

Like those in a prison camp.
Many churches have prison ministries and baptized many prisoners that I've been associated with.
What about people on their death beds in a hospital?
Have you ever heard the saying, make hay while the Sun shines? All I can say is it would be prudent to start the process before one becomes comatose. This is very much like the OSAS camp. This wisdom says one can live their life however one wants and right at the end cash a get out of jail/hell card. This is diametrically opposed to God's word. There is not a single human alive this very moment that has a guarantee of being alive an hour from now. This creates motive on not only the sinner but also the evangelist. The Bible states that only those in Christ will be saved; we are baptized into Christ; we put on Christ in baptism. Per the Bible there is no other way to get into Christ.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. - Romans 8:1
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. - Galatians 3:27-29
And from the mouth of the Lord we have the command.
And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. - Mark 16:15-16
God's word is clear on the matter, we the created have zero ground to question God. This is why Abraham is the father of spiritual Israel today, when God told Abraham to do something, Abraham OBEYED. If you desire to trust your own understanding, that's your free will. God's word says otherwise. I've never heard anyone question God about His decision to choose the Israelites as His people and not all people living. Why would it be different now? He has provided the road map to salvation, we but have to follow it. If God desires to make provisions for someone who absolutely can't become a Christian, that is His prerogative but He didn't outline it in His word. To bank on it would be quiet the gamble.

And now I'd have to ask you, based on what you've said about Acts 22:16. If water baptism has washed away your sin; what is the point of "appealing to or invoking the authority of the Lord" in the remainder of that verse?
I've already addressed this. Jesus is the author of eternal salvation and by His authority we have access to salvation. Attempting to make another avenue to salvation would not be by His authority. Calling on His name is to claim or invoke His authority.

In Him

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Except condemnation is eternal. Revelation 14:11.
"Hell" which is a place of holding in this life, gets case into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:14

No doubt - but in the context of Matthew 10:28
"28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

As we also see of Satan - the once "covering Cherub" in heaven.

Ezek 28
16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;
And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.

18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes
upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.”
’ ”

So do you think its Satan who's destroying the body and soul; not God?

I find your logic in that response "illusive"

Is Matthew 10:28 saying that "satan can destroy both body and soul in fiery hell"??? (Recall that Satan is not the one lighting up the lake of fire in Rev 20... it is God)

Is Ezek 28 saying that Satan is the one turning himself into ashes?

I don't follow what you are saying??

Is Jesus telling us to fear Satan?

I don't see how that can be since Satan is not in charge of the fires of hell "prepared for the devil and his angels" as their punishment not as they realm of rule and domination

The penalty of atoning for sin is the wrath of God, not the wrath of Satan, because he's in the same place, enduring his own special version of God's wrath.

That is most certainly true which is why I don't understand your statement about whether Satan is the one doing the work of the fires of hell.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To believe in annihilation would be to make the atonement impossible; for if the punishment for sin was annihilation, what would that have meant for Jesus? (For if he be not raised, you are yet in your sin).

Universalism you'd think "might" be a little more "excusable".
Jesus didn’t suffer eternal punishment in hell either. That explanation of the atonement won’t work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don’t think Holy Spirit is the guilty. I think the problem is that people often want to hear only that what they like, which is why clear message gets distorted. But even that would not be so bad, if disciples of Jesus would live according to this:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:34-35

It is no big deal, if we are not fully grown spiritually. The requirement is not that we are all knowing, but we should have right understanding and be righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Mat. 25:46

• Winner
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
No doubt - but in the context of Matthew 10:28
"28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

As we also see of Satan - the once "covering Cherub" in heaven.

Ezek 28
16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;
And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.

18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes
upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.”
’ ”

I find your logic in that response "illusive"

Is Matthew 10:28 saying that "satan can destroy both body and soul in fiery hell"??? (Recall that Satan is not the one lighting up the lake of fire in Rev 20... it is God)

Is Ezek 28 saying that Satan is the one turning himself into ashes?

I don't follow what you are saying??

I don't see how that can be since Satan is not in charge of the fires of hell "prepared for the devil and his angels" as their punishment not as they realm of rule and domination

That is most certainly true which is why I don't understand your statement about whether Satan is the one doing the work of the fires of hell.

I asked you the question I asked you because the response to the previous question was confusing. You could have just as easily said: "No I don't believe that verse is talking about Satan."

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Both can have the Spirit living in them or both can not have the Spirit in them. Most likely both are quenching the Spirit living within them.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Jesus didn’t suffer eternal punishment in hell either. That explanation of the atonement won’t work.

Jesus did face the wrath of God. That's what the atonement consisted of.

Revelation 19:15
And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Revelation 14:10

This verse uses the analogy of "the cup" as the wrath of God. Now back in Matthew 26:39 Jesus is praying this cup pass from him.

Acts 2:
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

This comes from Psalm 16:10
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.

10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

This happened the night of Passover when Jesus encountered the angel of death. This angel confined his soul to Sheol. Jesus didn't die though because of his Divine nature. At the point Jesus died, was the renting of that Divine nature from his flesh and that's what killed him.

Now at the point he died it said he "gave up the spirit". That is the portion of his humanity that is the spiritual essence of man. Apparently that is not the same as the soul. This was not referring to the Holy Ghost, because the Holy Ghost just like the Father had already forsaken him.

His soul was released from Sheol, along with everyone else who was atoned for. They ascend into heaven and they are this group in Revelation who "came out of great tribulation" who are of every tribe, tongue and nation standing before the throne of God along with "the lamb who was slain".

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
1) The thief on the cross lived and died before the church was born on the day of pentecost.
2) Regardless of when the thief lived or died Jesus forgave him before He died.

Either way the thief is not applicable.

How many people can not be baptized? How many people don't have access to a bath tub, pool, pond, lake, river -- those who believe can find a way. Would Naaman had his leprosy cleansed if he had refused to dip in the Jordan? No. Either we believe God's word or we don't.

Many churches have prison ministries and baptized many prisoners that I've been associated with.

Have you ever heard the saying, make hay while the Sun shines? All I can say is it would be prudent to start the process before one becomes comatose. This is very much like the OSAS camp. This wisdom says one can live their life however one wants and right at the end cash a get out of jail/hell card. This is diametrically opposed to God's word. There is not a single human alive this very moment that has a guarantee of being alive an hour from now.

This creates motive on not only the sinner but also the evangelist. The Bible states that only those in Christ will be saved; we are baptized into Christ; we put on Christ in baptism. Per the Bible there is no other way to get into Christ.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. - Romans 8:1
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. - Galatians 3:27-29
And from the mouth of the Lord we have the command.
And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. - Mark 16:15-16
God's word is clear on the matter, we the created have zero ground to question God. This is why Abraham is the father of spiritual Israel today, when God told Abraham to do something, Abraham OBEYED. If you desire to trust your own understanding, that's your free will. God's word says otherwise. I've never heard anyone question God about His decision to choose the Israelites as His people and not all people living. Why would it be different now? He has provided the road map to salvation, we but have to follow it. If God desires to make provisions for someone who absolutely can't become a Christian, that is His prerogative but He didn't outline it in His word. To bank on it would be quiet the gamble.

I've already addressed this. Jesus is the author of eternal salvation and by His authority we have access to salvation. Attempting to make another avenue to salvation would not be by His authority. Calling on His name is to claim or invoke His authority.

In Him

So you tell me the thief on the cross doesn't count because he died before Pentecost. Well, right here in Acts 10 is a group of people who received the Holy Spirit BEFORE THEY WERE WATER BAPTIZED!

Acts 10:47:
"Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?"

Titus 3:4-5
"But after that the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done; (for example - water baptism) but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost..."

1 Corinthians 6:11
"And such were some of you, but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." (Not justified by water baptism.)

Besides this - if you are in a prison in say North Korea, Iran or Afghanistan, do you think the guards are going to allow you to be baptized?

Also, I can repent and believe right now; call my church and say I want to be baptized. OK, we'll baptize you next Sunday. So I get up and go to work Monday morning and on the way there; I get into an accident with an 18 wheeler and die on the way to the hospital. Is God going to say "Oopses - nope! You weren't water baptized!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you tell me the thief on the cross doesn't count because he died before Pentecost. Well, right here in Acts 10 is a group of people who received the Holy Spirit BEFORE THEY WERE WATER BAPTIZED!

Acts 10:47:
"Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?"
If you will go back to the beginning of the chapter you will see that this was done to confirm to Peter and the brethern from Joppa that the plan of salvation was also for the Gentiles. This was the last time this occured. Cornelius and the other believers were then baptised for the remission of their sins. The Holy Spirit was also poured out on the Apostles on the day of pentecost confirming the coming of the Lord's church.

Titus 3:4-5
"But after that the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done; (for example - water baptism) but
No, for example --- works of righteousness, like feeding the hungry, helping thos in need. You are confusing good works with obedience. Obedience is something all must do. I'm at liberty to decide the good works I do and when I do them and to whom I do them. Obedience and good works is like apples and oranges.
1 Corinthians 6:11
"And such were some of you, but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." (Not justified by water baptism.)
Back up a few words, but you are washed
These were already baptised.
Besides this - if you are in a prison in say North Korea, Iran or Afghanistan, do you think the guards are going to allow you to be baptized?
I don't possess the mind of God but according to God's word they better get out in time to be baptized. Or , better yet, live your life in a manner as not to go to prison anywhere.

Also, I can repent and believe right now; call my church and say I want to be baptized. OK, we'll baptize you next Sunday. So I get up and go to work Monday morning and on the way there; I get into an accident with an 18 wheeler and die on the way to the hospital. Is God going to say "Oopses - nope! You weren't water baptized!"
If I were studying with a non-Christian and they desired to be baptized there are any number of people I can call and they woild be honored to unlock a door and go in with us and rejoice over the soul obeying the gospel. You do realize the gospel of Jesus Christ is the instrument by which all are saved today. The gospel is something that must be obeyed which includes baptism.
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: - 2 Thessalonians 1:8
I am not on this forum to argue with anyone but I will study with any reasonable person anytime, not as ,I say or think but as thus saith the Lord!! The Bible states that by baptism our sins are forgiven. You can choose not to believe that but that will require you using something aside from scripture, such as man's wisdom, for there are no verses that make null and void scripture stating baptism is absolutely a must.
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; - Colossians 2:6-13

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: - Romans 6:3-5
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: - 1 Peter 3:21
We are able to have a good conscience because all our prior sins have just been forgiven through baptism
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. - Acts 2:38-39
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16
In Him

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We cannot earn our own salvation by baptism or any other outward ceremony or ritual, no matter how otherwise good or beneficial it may be.
No one earns anything by obeying God. Obedience and good works are two completely different things.
That's like saying you deserve a trophy for driving the speed limit. Apples and Oranges
In Him

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
No one earns anything by obeying God. Obedience and good works are two completely different things.
That's like saying you deserve a trophy for driving the speed limit. Apples and Oranges
In Him

They may be different in some respect, but rituals and good deeds are both works, and we are not saved by our works, even if God wishes us to do them. Though Abraham was obedient to the law, he was not saved by the law. As we are not saved by baptism. We obey God because we are *already* saved.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
If you will go back to the beginning of the chapter you will see that this was done to confirm to Peter and the brethern from Joppa that the plan of salvation was also for the Gentiles. This was the last time this occured. Cornelius and the other believers were then baptised for the remission of their sins. The Holy Spirit was also poured out on the Apostles on the day of pentecost confirming the coming of the Lord's church.

No, for example --- works of righteousness, like feeding the hungry, helping thos in need. You are confusing good works with obedience. Obedience is something all must do. I'm at liberty to decide the good works I do and when I do them and to whom I do them. Obedience and good works is like apples and oranges.

Back up a few words, but you are washed
These were already baptised.

I don't possess the mind of God but according to God's word they better get out in time to be baptized. Or , better yet, live your life in a manner as not to go to prison anywhere.

If I were studying with a non-Christian and they desired to be baptized there are any number of people I can call and they woild be honored to unlock a door and go in with us and rejoice over the soul obeying the gospel. You do realize the gospel of Jesus Christ is the instrument by which all are saved today. The gospel is something that must be obeyed which includes baptism.
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: - 2 Thessalonians 1:8
I am not on this forum to argue with anyone but I will study with any reasonable person anytime, not as ,I say or think but as thus saith the Lord!! The Bible states that by baptism our sins are forgiven. You can choose not to believe that but that will require you using something aside from scripture, such as man's wisdom, for there are no verses that make null and void scripture stating baptism is absolutely a must.
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; - Colossians 2:6-13

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: - Romans 6:3-5
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: - 1 Peter 3:21
We are able to have a good conscience because all our prior sins have just been forgiven through baptism
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. - Acts 2:38-39
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16
In Him

Well, the Lord rebuke you; because I have given you sufficient Scripture and you apparently have a works gospel.

As far as Acts 10:47; it doesn't matter what the issue was with Peter's understanding of gentile believers. The fact of the matter still remained - these people received the Holy Spirit before they were water baptized.

You say you follow the Scripture - You can not get away from that one! Sorry! Nice try though! LOL

May God have mercy on your soul.

Upvote 0