Is it normal for Christians to have opposing views?

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here I will give a scenario.

Christian A, and Christian B.

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

But Christian A and Christian B disagree on certain doctrines.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

Why would the Holy Spirit lead Christians into contradictory views?
Do you think the Holy Spirit controls us or something? He is a still and small voice. Just because the Holy Spirit is with one, in one, doesn’t mean they can’t be tempted, confused, or incorrect. Not all listen to that voice and others don’t even know how to discern it if they are listening.

Can you disobey when someone is telling you in a calm and tiny voice that you shouldn’t do a given thing? Yes. It’s no different with the Holy Spirit.

This is why prayer matters so much, and drawing close to God, and showing love to Him by being obedient.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you be able to give us a list of all of the perfect and infallible denominations so that we all know who we are referencing in this discussion when it comes to true Christians?
It was the Lord's desire that there be zero divisions, clear enough. Question for you. If three people start studying God's word in, let's say Singapore, and they believe in Jesus Christ as the risen son of God and they confess that belief to each other. They through godly sorrow repent of their sins. They continue studying God's word and soon want to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for the forgiveness of their prior sins, upon baptizing each other, will God add them to the body of Christ?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The purpose of God isn't to make us the same, but to make us one in Christ. We should be able to be Christian brothers and sisters even if we disagree. Even non-Christians can be one if they agree on everything. What's the accomplishment in that?

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

It's not the Holy Spirit but is due to human weakness that we still need to fight.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of God isn't to make us the same, but to make us one in Christ. We should be able to be Christian brothers and sisters even if we disagree. Even non-Christians can be one if they agree on everything. What's the accomplishment in that?
Should be able to be Christian brothers and sisters, unfortunately is a far cry from what the Bible teaches/says. We can disagree but not regarding a directive from God.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It was the Lord's desire that there be zero divisions, clear enough. Question for you. If three people start studying God's word in, let's say Singapore, and they believe in Jesus Christ as the risen son of God and they confess that belief to each other. They through godly sorrow repent of their sins. They continue studying God's word and soon want to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for the forgiveness of their prior sins, upon baptizing each other, will God add them to the body of Christ?

So you don't actually have a list of the perfect and infallible denominations that currently exist today?

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you don't actually have a list of the perfect and infallible denominations that currently exist today?
According to the verse a denomination would be unpleasing to God. Period
Can you answer my question, please?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Because the fleshly nature in Christians very often takes the lead. That's why Christ had to die Bubba.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I can't answer that nor do I confess any doctrines or denominational alignments. I lean on the Word. As Paul said...

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
According to the verse a denomination would be unpleasing to God. Period
Can you answer my question, please?

Okay, so ALL denominations without exception are false with nothing but false doctrine. So now can you list, say, ten individual non-denominational Christians who are perfect and infallible and always teach truth without exception? I'd even be satisfied if you could list two or three people if ten is too many.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

I actually believe that they are added to the body of Christ even before they are baptized, from the very moment they receive Jesus into their hearts and accept him as Lord and Savior. Christ's universal church is made up of *every* true believer regardless of what denomination or non-denomination they are a part of, if any. Denominations are human constructs that make it simpler for us to understand each other in the similarities and differences on how we practice and live out our faith.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually believe that they are added to the body of Christ even before they are baptized, from the very moment they receive Jesus into their hearts and accept him as Lord and Savior. Christ's universal church is made up of *every* true believer regardless of what denomination or non-denomination they are a part of, if any. Denominations are human constructs that make it simpler for us to understand each other in the similarities and differences on how we practice and live out our faith.
I'll address both your posts via this one post. Infallible, perfect Christians? Zero.
Infallible, perfect churches? Zero
There are none perfect but Deity and the plan of salvation. Zero infallible churches because all churches are comprised of error infected humans.
Denominations by definition are divisions and not approved of per God's word.
I take from your post that you are a "faith only" believer, what scripture do you use as a foundation of you belief?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obviously it was not the will of Jesus Christ for Christians to have opposing beliefs, since He wanted us to know the truth, and conflicting beliefs necessarily mean false beliefs. Truth cannot conflict with truth. Which is why the stated will of Jesus concerning His followers was and still is "That they all may be ONE, even as I and My heavenly Father are ONE". This is why He founded ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". And His followers remained one in belief for the next 1,000 years, at which point the Orthodox churches defected from the ONE Church Jesus founded. They did however retain most of the teachings of the original Christian Church. Doctrinal chaos didn't begin until one Catholic priest thought He could do a better job of interpreting the Bible than the Church Jesus founded, which had compiled the Bible from its own writings. So Luther defected from true Christianity and founded His own church based on "the Bible alone", which obviously meant his personal interpretations of the Bible. Before he died there were 8 other manmade denominations which had separated from Luther's church because they didn't agree with his biblical interpretations. And the rest is history. Today there are more than 6,000 registered Protestant denominations, plus 20,000 so-called "non-denominational" Protestant churches, each claiming to be teaching the truth from "the Bible alone", yet the beliefs/teachings of each denomination contradicting the beliefs/teachings of the others. Meanwhile, the ONE Church Jesus founded remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, with NO conflicting denominations. You just can't beat God's plan.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'll address both your posts via this one post. Infallible, perfect Christians? Zero.
There are none perfect but Deity and the plan of salvation. Zero infallible churches because all churches are comprised of error infected humans.
I take from your post that you are a "faith only" believer, what scripture do you use as a foundation of you belief?

I suppose John 3:16 would be a good choice for a scripture verse that consolidates much of everything, however, the actual foundation of my belief is in the person of Jesus Christ and the event of his resurrection. It is true that only by the grace of God we are saved through faith.

I don't really see God approving or disapproving of denominations or any organizations of human beings working together for a common goal, including spiritual ones intended for God's glory and worship. Denominations can be very useful in helping bring people together in corporate worship vs. everyone trying to figure out everything on their own.

What I strongly disagree with concerning denominations is when a denomination decides that they are the one true church and that all others are false or apostate. The one true church is the body of all believers in Christ, wherever they happen to come from, and no denomination has ownership of it.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously it was not the will of Jesus Christ for Christians to have opposing beliefs, since He wanted us to know the truth, and conflicting beliefs necessarily mean false beliefs. Truth cannot conflict with truth. Which is why the stated will of Jesus concerning His followers was and still is "That they all may be ONE, even as I and My heavenly Father are ONE". This is why He founded ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". And His followers remained one in belief for the next 1,000 years, at which point the Orthodox churches defected from the ONE Church Jesus founded. They did however retain most of the teachings of the original Christian Church. Doctrinal chaos didn't begin until one Catholic priest thought He could do a better job of interpreting the Bible than the Church Jesus founded, which had compiled the Bible from its own writings. So Luther defected from true Christianity and founded His own church based on "the Bible alone", which obviously meant his personal interpretations of the Bible. Before he died there were 8 other manmade denominations which had separated from Luther's church because they didn't agree with his biblical interpretations. And the rest is history. Today there are more than 6,000 registered Protestant denominations, plus 20,000 so-called "non-denominational" Protestant churches, each claiming to be teaching the truth from "the Bible alone", yet the beliefs/teachings of each denomination contradicting the beliefs/teachings of the others. Meanwhile, the ONE Church Jesus founded remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, with NO conflicting denominations. You just can't beat God's plan.
I'll pose the same question to you.
There are three people in Singapore who start studying scripture and they all three believe in Jesus as the risen son of God and verbally confess that very fact to each other. Through godly sorrow for their sins repent of sin and start trying to fashion their lives after Christ. They continue studying and soon want to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for the forgiveness of their prior sins. After baptizing each other, will they be added to the body of Christ by God?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that is so, then every unaffiliated Christian--every believer who refuses to be part of the worshipping community--is himself a denomination of one.

According to what you have been telling us, this is no more approved of by God than any of the denominations that the members of Christian Forums belong to.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that is so, then every unaffiliated Christian--every believer who refuses to be part of the worshipping community--is himself a denomination of one.

According to what you have been telling us, this is no more approved of by God than any of the denominations that the members of Christian Forums belong to.
The Bible teaches throughout the NT, that what the people believe and teach determines whether or not it is approved of by God. The church isn't a building but the believers. Please provide scripture to prove your point. What you or I think, is worthless.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Matthew 18:20
I take it you think the people in the hypothetical question are lost. Give sctipture to back that up, please. BTW, where did I say they were isolated individuals?? I didn't.
In Him

Upvote 0