Is it normal for Christians to have opposing views?

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They may be different in some respect, but rituals and good deeds are both works, and we are not saved by our works, even if God wishes us to do them. Though Abraham was obedient to the law, he was not saved by the law. As we are not saved by baptism. We obey God because we are *already* saved.
Abraham didn't live under the law of Moses, he lived in the Patriarchal age. He simply obeyed God, it had nothing to do with the law.
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; - 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
Obeying His gospel means doing what He says.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16
In Him

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Abraham didn't live under the law of Moses, he lived in the Patriarchal age. He simply obeyed God, it had nothing to do with the law.
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; - 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
Obeying His gospel means doing what He says.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16
In Him

While it is true that Abraham did not live under the law of *Moses*, he was obedient to the things God required of him, which is following "law" (works) vs. "faith". Abraham was obedient to the "works" that God required him to do, but his obedience to works, law, whatever you want to call it was in *response* to his faith. That's the point here. Salvation has *always* been through faith regardless of time period, and regardless of which specific covenants were in place.

In the first verse you quoted from Thessalonians, it says obey not the *gospel*. Is the gospel a law? No, the gospel means "good news" and it is the good news of Jesus Christ for what *he* did and who he is. Obeying the gospel is putting trust into (believing) Jesus and accepting him as Lord and Savior. Nothing whatsoever with an outward baptism ritual being required. It is a confirmation that our salvation is through Jesus and not through ourselves or some false god.

In the second verse you quoted from Mark, it does *not* say "He that believeth not AND does not get baptized shall be damned." There is nothing in this verse preventing anyone from simply believing and being saved. Also, when one "believeth" one is also baptized by the Spirit, so one goes hand in hand with the other. It's a package deal since when you believe, you receive the gift of the Spirit as promised by Jesus.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While it is true that Abraham did not live under the law of *Moses*, he was obedient to the things God required of him, which is following "law" (works) vs. "faith". Abraham was obedient to the "works" that God required him to do, but his obedience to works, law, whatever you want to call it was in *response* to his faith. That's the point here. Salvation has *always* been through faith regardless of time period, and regardless of which specific covenants were in place.

In the first verse you quoted from Thessalonians, it says obey not the *gospel*. Is the gospel a law? No, the gospel means "good news" and it is the good news of Jesus Christ for what *he* did and who he is. Obeying the gospel is putting trust into (believing) Jesus and accepting him as Lord and Savior. Nothing whatsoever with an outward baptism ritual being required. It is a confirmation that our salvation is through Jesus and not through ourselves or some false god.

In the second verse you quoted from Mark, it does *not* say "He that believeth not AND does not get baptized shall be damned." There is nothing in this verse preventing anyone from simply believing and being saved. Also, when one "believeth" one is also baptized by the Spirit, so one goes hand in hand with the other. It's a package deal since when you believe, you receive the gift of the Spirit as promised by Jesus.
Good news, law of liberty does nor make the commandments of scripture on the NT of no effect. We are to obey God or the truth is noy in you. The way your interpreting things, the NT could have been summed up in just a few pages. Do you simply disregard the following????
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. - John 14:23-24
Or is it left up to you to decide whats best???
In Him

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Good news, law of liberty does nor make the commandments of scripture on the NT of no effect. We are to obey God or the truth is noy in you. The way your interpreting things, the NT could have been summed up in just a few pages. Do you simply disregard the following????
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. - John 14:23-24
Or is it left up to you to decide whats best???
In Him

Jesus never commanded anyone to be baptized in order to be saved. Never. And according the very verse of scripture you quoted, it says nothing about damning those who are not baptized. Not once does it ever say that, so you are reading in something that's not there.

The whole NT could pretty much be summed up by John 3:16 and then once we are *already* saved, then we are to obey Jesus' new commandment in John 13:34 as a response to being saved. Nothing more is necessary.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Here I will give a scenario.

Christian A, and Christian B.

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

But Christian A and Christian B disagree on certain doctrines.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

Why would the Holy Spirit lead Christians into contradictory views?

No.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please provide the scripture that say when one believes they are baptised with the spirit, in context.
What you are saying in regards to it *not* saying the believer who does not get baptized. I would concede, if and only if that were the ONLY verse dealing with baptism, that your view may carry some weight. But that is not the case and therefore these problems exist:
1) Just because the Bibble does not say something is an invalid claim because we have a lesson concerning this in the Old Testament.
Then Aaron’s sons, Nadab and Abihu, each took his fire pan and put fire in it, set incense on it, and presented strange fire before the Lord, which he had not commanded them to do.So fire went out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them so that they died before the Lord. - Leviticus 10:1-2
Nadad and Abihu assumed this would be ok since God had not commanded them not to do this.
2) Your logic is like saying. He that breathes and nourishes his body will live. He that does not breath will die. Clearly if we only breath will not live.
3) we have scripture that explains WHY baptism is necessary. Baptism forgives our prior sins.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. - Acts 2:38
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. - Acts 22:16
4) We are specifically told that if we say we love God and keep not His commandments we are liars and the truth is not in us. We are commanded to be baptized.
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days. -
Acts 10:48
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: - Matthew 7:21-24
Either way you slice it, unless you have a scripture that specifically says "baptism is unnecessary", you are trusting the eternal destiny of your soul to "your personal interpretation" of scripture. God's word is the truth, this is not what I am saying, it is what God has said.
In Him

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never commanded anyone to be baptized in order to be saved. Never. And according the very verse of scripture you quoted, it says nothing about damning those who are not baptized. Not once does it ever say that, so you are reading in something that's not there.

The whole NT could pretty much be summed up by John 3:16 and then once we are *already* saved, then we are to obey Jesus' new commandment in John 13:34 as a response to being saved. Nothing more is necessary.
Yes we have been commanded to be baptized...see other post

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Please provide the scripture that say when one believes they are baptised with the spirit, in context.
What you are saying in regards to it *not* saying the believer who does not get baptized. I would concede, if and only if that were the ONLY verse dealing with baptism, that your view may carry some weight. But that is not the case and therefore these problems exist:
1) Just because the Bibble does not say something is an invalid claim because we have a lesson concerning this in the Old Testament.
Then Aaron’s sons, Nadab and Abihu, each took his fire pan and put fire in it, set incense on it, and presented strange fire before the Lord, which he had not commanded them to do.So fire went out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them so that they died before the Lord. - Leviticus 10:1-2
Nadad and Abihu assumed this would be ok since God had not commanded them not to do this.

The word translated as "strange" means "unauthorized, foreign, or profane". God specifically instructs people in the Torah precisely how to perform sacrifices. If you are going to apply this verse to baptism, then you would need to find a verse that shows God striking someone down for performing a "strange" baptism, and then the problem would be that they weren't doing the ritual of baptism correctly in the same manner as they weren't making an appropriate sacrifice. It has nothing to do with someone not being baptized at all in any case.

2) Your logic is like saying. He that breathes and nourishes his body will live. He that does not breath will die. Clearly if we only breath will not live.

Your analogy implies that there are 100's of other unspoken acts that must be also be performed in order to be saved (blood circulating properly, hearts beating, etc.), along with belief and baptism. Hope you don't leave any of them out and that you perform them all 100% and even then you are ultimately condemned because your body will eventually just stop functioning after it wears itself out.

(But even if every human being on this earth put all their good works together to try to save even one small person, they wouldn't be able to do it. It doesn't matter how many times they've been baptized even if they were baptized every day for the next 200 years. Because it's not *our* works that save us, but God's grace alone.)

3) we have scripture that explains WHY baptism is necessary. Baptism forgives our prior sins.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. - Acts 2:38
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. - Acts 22:16

God is the only one who can forgive sins. (Which is why the Pharisees and other religious leaders accused Jesus of blasphemy.) Note that it is the calling on the name of Jesus Christ that is the key here. The act of baptism itself isn't what does it. The act of baptism is symbolic and a public witness to our faith *after* we are saved. If all people needed to do was jump into water every time they sinned (and they may as well just live in the water if that's the case), then they wouldn't need God for something they could easily do themselves by taking a bath.

4) We are specifically told that if we say we love God and keep not His commandments we are liars and the truth is not in us. We are commanded to be baptized.
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days. -
Acts 10:48

Well let's see...who is the "he" and who is the "them"? The "he" in this verse is Peter and the "them" were Gentiles associated with Cornelius. Unless you believe that Peter is God (and I suppose some might, but I am not personally one of them), there is no commandment from God here to be baptized in order to be saved.

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: - Matthew 7:21-24

Irrelevant to baptism, but glad that you pointed this one out. Note that the arguments in these verses are from those who argued about how they *did* all these *works* in the Lord's name, thinking that it was their works that were going to save them, which of course turns out not to be the case because it's not and never has been works, no matter how good they may be, that save us, but faith and God's grace alone.

Either way you slice it, unless you have a scripture that specifically says "baptism is unnecessary", you are trusting the eternal destiny of your soul to "your personal interpretation" of scripture. God's word is the truth, this is not what I am saying, it is what God has said.
In Him

What I do have is plenty of scripture that contradicts salvation through our works.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would imply the "gates of hell" prevailed even though Jesus said they wouldn't do that.

I don't view that as implying the gates of hell have prevailed. Christ said I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. The fact of that statement is that Christ will or since we are now in the future is building His church. I heard a very good sermon once that put this into stark perspective. Christ did not say I might build my church, or I hope you build my church. It is a statement of fact that Christ will build His church. His church is not a building, a denomination or a sect. The pertinent point is that He will build His church and He can build it with you or he can build it without you but He is the builder, not man. The real question is will you be part of what he is building or will you stay mired in bondage? Believe, die to self, live for Christ, fulfill the works of the Spirit and you will be fine. Focus only on methodology, sectarianism, being right and the like; ignore the latter things of God and good luck.

Christians in the book of Acts were known by their fruits one of which was their love and dedication to each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word translated as "strange" means "unauthorized, foreign, or profane". God specifically instructs people in the Torah precisely how to perform sacrifices. If you are going to apply this verse to baptism, then you would need to find a verse that shows God striking someone down for performing a "strange" baptism, and then the problem would be that they weren't doing the ritual of baptism correctly in the same manner as they weren't making an appropriate sacrifice. It has nothing to do with someone not being baptized at all in any case.

Your analogy implies that there are 100's of other unspoken acts that must be also be performed in order to be saved (blood circulating properly, hearts beating, etc.), along with belief and baptism. Hope you don't leave any of them out and that you perform them all 100% and even then you are ultimately condemned because your body will eventually just stop functioning after it wears itself out.

(But even if every human being on this earth put all their good works together to try to save even one small person, they wouldn't be able to do it. It doesn't matter how many times they've been baptized even if they were baptized every day for the next 200 years. Because it's not *our* works that save us, but God's grace alone.)

God is the only one who can forgive sins. (Which is why the Pharisees and other religious leaders accused Jesus of blasphemy.) Note that it is the calling on the name of Jesus Christ that is the key here. The act of baptism itself isn't what does it. The act of baptism is symbolic and a public witness to our faith *after* we are saved. If all people needed to do was jump into water every time they sinned (and they may as well just live in the water if that's the case), then they wouldn't need God for something they could easily do themselves by taking a bath.

Well let's see...who is the "he" and who is the "them"? The "he" in this verse is Peter and the "them" were Gentiles associated with Cornelius. Unless you believe that Peter is God (and I suppose some might, but I am not personally one of them), there is no commandment from God here to be baptized in order to be saved.

Irrelevant to baptism, but glad that you pointed this one out. Note that the arguments in these verses are from those who argued about how they *did* all these *works* in the Lord's name, thinking that it was their works that were going to save them, which of course turns out not to be the case because it's not and never has been works, no matter how good they may be, that save us, but faith and God's grace alone.

What I do have is plenty of scripture that contradicts salvation through our works.
You may find scriptures that talk about salvation while not mentioning baptism, but you still have to explain away or ignore other scripture about baptism. Obedience salvation is profoundly different than a "works" based salvation.
You are right, the scripture I quoted were people who believed but didn't do what God commanded. That scriptures proves faith only based religion is worthless. Context is everything, everything when attempting to understand scripture. Aside from context and a willingness to listen to God produces a manmade religion.
In Him
God bless

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
You may find scriptures that talk about salvation while not mentioning baptism, but you still have to explain away or ignore other scripture about baptism. Obedience salvation is profoundly different than a "works" based salvation.
You are right, the scripture I quoted were people who believed but didn't do what God commanded. That scriptures proves faith only based religion is worthless. Context is everything, everything when attempting to understand scripture. Aside from context and a willingness to listen to God produces a manmade religion.
In Him
God bless

Well I wish you good luck in all your futile attempts to earn your salvation through your own works of obedience then.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Here I will give a scenario.

Christian A, and Christian B.

Christian A, and Christian B both agree with Jesus divinity, how to be saved, and the Trinity.

But Christian A and Christian B disagree on certain doctrines.

Is this a case whether or not Christian A or Christian B has the Holy Spirit living inside of them?

Why would the Holy Spirit lead Christians into contradictory views?

The question for me, is how Christian A and B were deceived by their education system and cultural media, and how they can be transformed by the renewing of their minds, so we can understand that God is true and every man a liar.

Though we have the Holy Spirit, we are inside a body that is hostile to God. So distortion is inevitable. Application: Judge with mercy.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2019
Philadelphia
✟8,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit only leads us to the truth of the Father because He does not glorify Himself. So if two self-proclaiming christians are not on one accord someone is wrong and they should both be seeking Jesus fellowship for clarity. Many people THINK they know God but dont truly know Him.

Upvote 0