Is it Ethical to be fired for stating Christian beliefs

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This has cost Israel Millions of dollars. He has lost sponsorship worth millions and his Inlsoternational rugby career is ended unless he can change his public statements.
It's not like it's been kept a secret until now. So what was so compelling that he had to throw himself on his sword for this? I don't get it.

As written , Breathed by the Creator in His Word, without change,

"It is better to BE POOR and HONEST, than to be rich, with lies."
also

"WHO-SO-EVER does NOT stand up (right) FOR ME BEFORE MEN, neither will I (MESSIAH JESUS) stand up for him before My Father on JUDGMENT DAY"

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you need to demonstrate that a person without such a contract in Australia would face censure. So still no.

I never said something among the lines that everyone is censored so i don't know why you bring that up.
You can read that people lost jobs and studies for this kind of thing, and he stood for what he believed, which is what i said when not conforming to this world. Maybe his values are more important to him than his contract.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
I never said something among the lines that everyone is censored so i don't know why you bring that up.
You can read that people lost jobs and studies for this kind of thing, and he stood for what he believed, which is what i said when not conforming to this world. Maybe his values are more important to him than his contract.
You said he paid the price for not conforming to the world. If he had not had that contract, he would not have been fired. Ergo, he was fired for breach of contract (after warnings) and not for his beliefs.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said he paid the price for not conforming to the world. If he had not had that contract, he would not have been fired. Ergo, he was fired for breach of contract (after warnings) and not for his beliefs.

The contract was against his beliefs, which seem his beliefs are stronger that he seemed to care about his contract, so yes, his beliefs were in large part the cause. Since it was a contract against his beliefs. He should have been more 'smart' about it? maybe yes. But some christians don't like being told their beliefs are offending someone and you need to shut up, when they are in reality truth, and for them for the best of everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You raise some interesting points. Would they extend to politicians. Is it appropriate that a politician represents his christian [or other religion] regardless of whether his constituency holds to those views.

If his constituency does not hold his views, then he faces a problem of basic Christian honesty. He promised them that he would represent their views, knowing that he was actually lying.

Does he expect Christ to honor that?

How does a person get elected in a popular election in the worldly system except by being a friend to the world?

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I fail to see how saying they are going to hell breaches his contract--unless the Rugby assocation endorses a hell. To them, hell is nothing more than a religious belief--which they themselves are supposed to respect. It's like saying he prays that they die, and then they die--and then you prosecute him for murder.

I'd say Israel does not have a good enough lawyer.

• Agree
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I fail to see how saying they are going to hell breaches his contract--unless the Rugby assocation endorses a hell. To them, hell is nothing more than a religious belief--which they themselves are supposed to respect. It's like saying he prays that they die, and then they die--and then you prosecute him for murder.

I'd say Israel does not have a good enough lawyer.

Society is so crazy nowadays that this is happening, they just can't see that others may have opinions, and the 'offended' people can't seem to be able to just ignore them and respect them like always happened before.

There is a global tendency on trying to police what people think, just chill out that every person has their own opinion.

Devils work in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now before you jump onboard and say 'Of course its ethical' consider the current case that has dominated Australian media and Australian sport in particular.

Israel Folau is one of Australia's (if not the world's) greatest Rugby Union players. He is a match winner. He is talented beyond belief and has won an array of national and international sporting awards. He is currently in the Australian Rugby Union team called 'The Wallabies'.

Despite Israel's strong physical appearance, he is a highly personable, gentle and kind individual. He is extremely likeable. Israel is a Christian of the evangelistic ilk.

Rugby Union has as a very strong code of conduct. You will rarely see referee abuse from players - it prides itself on respect for all players, the referees and supporters. International players have particular responsibilities as so many people, particularly juniors, see them as role models. This added responsibility to acknowledge that whats said publicly must accord with the code of conduct, whether its said on the field or off it, is reinforced in player contracts.

Israel, despite being a very nice person has repeatedly made the following types of statements:
That those that are gay, unmarried people having sexual relationships, those that drink to excess....[the list goes on] are sinful and all going to hell.

Now Israel, of course, is making biblical references inline with his christian beliefs. He's not saying terrible things per se....HOWEVER - it has clearly been a breach of his contract and despite just recently signing a four year contract and despite being Australia's shining star - he has been sacked.

Israel Folau to be sacked by Rugby Australia over homophobic comments

Australian rugby's position is that it goes to great lengths to be inclusive. It is not concerned with who you choose to love, or that your mother is a single mother, or your father is in some sort of defacto relationship. It does not want those representing the sporting code to alter that perception with statements indicating that those following the sport are lesser individuals and are in some way bad for their sexual choices or marital status.

So the debate - religious freedom of speech versus the right of a sporting to code to insist its code of conduct is followed.

This has cost Israel Millions of dollars. He has lost sponsorship worth millions and his International rugby career is ended unless he can change his public statements.

Jesus was killed telling the Truth of God. It sounds like Israel is in the Way.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if it were, so what? Loving our neighbor demands appreciating human ethics, and God commands love.

So we should not expect that what is right in the sight of God will be agreeable by men.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So we should not expect that what is right in the sight of God will be agreeable by men.

What is right in the sight of God is to love our neighbor. That implicitly involves relating to them through ethical actions.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Wikipedia says Deontology is "the study of the nature of duty and obligation".

Yes. And go on to "Command ethics," which is part of deontology.

Or do you not think that being saved you owe an obligation of obedience to God?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is right in the sight of God is to love our neighbor. That implicitly involves relating to them through ethical actions.

Was it loving or hateful of Paul to write (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Upvote 0