inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Triumphalism in the face of so many people's suffering would seem fairly tasteless.
No one is denying what the victim goes through and I am talking about one case which does not represent all cases. But people are too ready to jump on some and be the judge, jury, and executioner. No one seems to care for those falsely accused and many had it in for Pell from the start even before his trial. I believe that is because of the negative press given to the church which turned some into a posse mentality. We have to keep things in balance.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is to do with the press, at least not in Melbourne, where Cardinal Pell is well known and most people are only a degree or so of separation away from him (ie. everyone knows someone - or many people - who knows him personally).

And my biggest problem with this isn't with Pell at all, whether he did it or not. It's that our justice system has effectively said that some crimes are forever beyond justice. That some truth-tellers will never have their testimony believed and acted upon.

That, to me, is a far bigger issue than any one man, no matter what he has come to represent. Because our society is willing to abandon victims of these crimes. And that's just gut-wrenchingly evil.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is to do with the press, at least not in Melbourne, where Cardinal Pell is well known and most people are only a degree or so of separation away from him (ie. everyone knows someone - or many people - who knows him personally).

And my biggest problem with this isn't with Pell at all, whether he did it or not. It's that our justice system has effectively said that some crimes are forever beyond justice. That some truth-tellers will never have their testimony believed and acted upon.

That, to me, is a far bigger issue than any one man, no matter what he has come to represent. Because our society is willing to abandon victims of these crimes. And that's just gut-wrenchingly evil.
Unfortunately, the legal system is not perfect. I am not sure how else to set up a system that can cater for everyone. Sometimes a person can be found guilty on a witness statement alone without any other evidence but for the most part, there needs to be corroborating evidence especially if it happened a long time ago. The problem is in Pells case there was evidence that contradicted the witness statement and though the person may believe they are telling the truth in their own eyes there may have been other factors like someone else did it and they got mixed up.

But also the other boy said nothing happened so there could be a chance that the witness was mixed up or could have been abused on another occasion by someone else and got confused over time. So both parties may be right about different situations. All these factors have to be taken into consideration and if we just believed the witness every time without checking other evidence then a lot of innocent people would also become victims which only makes things worse. Ideally, the best situation is that we make things easier for victims to tell their stories at the time but ultimately prevent it from happening in the first place. Hopefully, the victims are supported as well and that the truth comes out.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems despite the High Courts 7 judges to nil that Pell was unfairly found guilty and is innocent that some want to ignore this and trial him by media. When you look at the way the previous court hearings including the original one were conducted and the way the Victorian Police conducted themselves it is a shocking inditement on our legal system and law enforcers. The High Court judges were highly critical of the previous court cases and highlighted a wide range of errors in fact and law.

They found that the victim was not the only credible witness but there were many others who testified that Pell was at the front of the Church greeting parishioners as was done in every Mass by tradition where the procession led by Pell would make their way down the middle of the church to the front steps. This was especially relevant as it was only Pells second Mass as the newly installed Archbishop and therefore he was in more demand to meet his new congregation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IH4Lg3ytnE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJnROH4h64

Last edited:
Upvote 0