✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Messy,

That's why I'm of the view that there are degrees of punishment in hell. See my article: Are there degrees of punishment in hell?

From where do you get the view that there were 4,000 years before the Flood?

Oz

Eternal hell for everyone the same makes no sense in these texts:

Matthew 12
Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 11
Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be[d] brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you.”

And He saved the people from before the flood after they'd been there for 4000 years.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Messy,

That's why I'm of the view that there are degrees of punishment in hell. See my article: Are there degrees of punishment in hell?

From where do you get the view that there were 4,000 years before the Flood?

Oz

Thought so, but I forgot 1000 years or so after Adam and Eve, it must be 3000 years before Jesus preached to them.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thought so, but I forgot 1000 years or so after Adam and Eve, it must be 3000 years before Jesus preached to them.
The point I'm raising with you is how you get your figure of 4,000 or 3,000 years. What's your source?

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem I find with the information in the link you provided is with the genealogies. There are gaps in the genealogies. We do not a continuous genealogy that incorporates all of time from Noah to Jesus.

You are relying on information that has been refuted over and over.

Oz
But even if it was thousands of years, it wasn't forever, that's what I was trying to say.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First off, I don't believe in an eternal hell, I don't think that the Bible points to that. The only eternal punishment for the non-elect is ceasing to exist, and thus never being with God for ever, a chilling fate for sure.

Secondly, I have confidence in God's process of election, He is a fair God, and If he wants to make some people to be vessels of mercy and others for destruction, then more power to him.

Man never seen a Catholic admit that there is no eternal hell. I thought it was a Catholic belief that hell is eternal and purgatory was temporary?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ian McCormack was an atheist who went to heaven, because his mother prayed for him and God showed him in his last breath He was real and he prayed the sinner's prayer. He went to heaven, but came back to tell it.

So it's your contention that if his mother had not prayed for him, God would have sentenced him to eternity in the lake of fire because he didn't believe? How does that square with our view of God as infinitely just and loving?
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
To address the question of the title, I would have to answer "Yes".

When God created the Universe and man, God 'published' the rules. They were 'published' orally, but man was fairly and directly advised of the 'rules'. This was before the Mosaic Law, before Hammurabi, before any human system of jurisprudence.

At some point, God created Hell. (I don't know if prior to or after the creation of the Universe; the order does not make any distinction in this matter.) God warned man about Hell and the consequences of sin.

Man conducts himself as man wishes after being warned of the realities and consequences of various actions. Man suffers the consequences. What's not fair?

Consider driving down a road. The driver sees a sign reading, "Danger: Bridge Out! Do Not Proceed!" So typically drivers will turn around and find another route to where they were going. However, one particular driver sees the sign and tells his passengers, "That is nonsense. There isn't even a river or valley around here, so there is no bridge to be out." He then drives past the barricades and run himself, his car and his passengers off the edge of the fallen bridge, into the valley with the river of which the driver denied existence.

Was that fair? If so, who wasn't fair, the agency who erected the sign, or the man driving the ill fated car? Is it 'fair' to the passengers of the car who weren't driving? Does that protect them from injury or death?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying, though, that not everyone may have equal to the Bible. So what happens to the poor unfortunates who, for whatever reason, have never heard of Christ or His book during their lifetimes? Are they out or luck, or is there a better chance that God is as forgiving as we say He is and provides a chance for redemption even beyond the grave?
Ringo

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm saying, though, that not everyone may have equal to the Bible. So what happens to the poor unfortunates who, for whatever reason, have never heard of Christ or His book during their lifetimes? Are they out or luck, or is there a better chance that God is as forgiving as we say He is and provides a chance for redemption even beyond the grave?
Ringo

Ringo,

God will be fair in how he treats all people, no matter whether they have the Bible or have heard of Jesus or not, for at least 3 reasons:

1. The nature of God. He is absolutely just. 'What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!' (Rom 9:14 NIV).
  2. Not one person will stand before God with any excuse: 'since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened' (Rom 1:19-21).
  3. There are degrees of punishment in Hades (or hell):

a. Since God is “the righteous Judge” (2 Tim. 4:8), we would expect that sinners would be punished according to the extent of their sin. This is what the Bible affirms.

b. Matthew 10:14-15 states, “And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town” (ESV).
So it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for Sodom and Gomorrah than for those who do not welcome and listen to the apostles. This is an amazing statement: it is going to be fairer for those who committed sexual immorality in Sodom & Gomorrah than for those who rejected the gospel. What is this saying about punishment in hell?

c. A similar affirmation of degrees of punishment can be found in Matthew 11:21-24,
“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you” (NIV).
d. Luke 12:47-48 speaks of many blows and few blows: “And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more” (ESV).
In view of these emphases, no individual in the world at any time will be treated unfairly by God when they stand before him in judgment.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that God is unfair, which is why I tend to doubt the existence of hell.
Ringo

Ringo,

From where do you gain your information about the fairness, righteousness and justice of God? How do you know God is not unfair?

When the slogan at the base of your posts says you are a 'proud liberal', does that mean that you are a proud theological liberal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
According to the Bible, everyone who believes in the Son of God not perish but will have eternal life. That means that there are two choices and two outcomes from that choice. Believe or disbelieve. Perish or have eternal life. Having eternal life in hell being tormented alive forever is not one of the options. Those who do not receive eternal life will perish. That is not fair or unfair, that is what not receiving eternal life means.

Timothew,

it would be nice if I could believe that way. There are several barriers.

“And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life” (Matt 25:46 ESV). The word aiwnios (eternal) is the same word associated with punishment as with eternal life. Therefore, eternal punishment is as long as eternal life will be. What’s the meaning of aiwnios?

Arndt & Gingrich’s Greek lexicon studied aiwnios from the time of the Septuagint and concluded that it means ‘eternal’ and in many passages, including Matt. 25:46, it means ‘without end … eternal life’ (Arndt & Gingrich 1957:28).

Professor of Bible Exposition, James E Rosscup, wrote:

Paul did not deal in as much detail with eternal punishment as did Jesus in the gospels and John in Revelation, but what he did write matches with their fuller descriptions in many points. This is to be expected because of Paul’s strong commitment to Jesus Christ. In Rom 2:6-10 he wrote about God’s anger in punishing the lost and the anguish they will suffer as a result. In Rom 9:22-23 he spoke of vessels of wrath fitted for destruction, a destruction that consists of an ongoing grief brought on as a consequence of God’s wrath. Second Thess 1:8-9 is a third passage that reflects his teaching on eternal punishment. There eternal destruction represents a different Greek expression, one that depicts a ruin that lost people continue to suffer forever as they are denied opportunity to be with Christ. Paul’s failure to use a number of other words in expressions that could have expressed annihilation of the unsaved is further indication of his harmony with Jesus and John in teaching an unending punishment that the unsaved will consciously experience (Paul's Concept of Eternal Punishment).
If we took some isolated Scriptures, it may be possible to take these passages to mean annihilation. I’m thinking of the word, “destroy”, in Matt. 10:28, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell [Greek: Gehenna]” (ESV). Even with passages such as Matt. 7:13-14 where the broad road leads to destruction and John 3:16, “Whoever believes in him shall not perish” could be pressed to try to get the meaning of annihilation. Even if we took the following passages alone without consideration of other passages, there is a possibility that extermination/extinction of the wicked could be an interpretation: John 10:28; 17:12; Romans 2:12; 9:22; Philippians 1:28; 3:19; 1 Thessalonians 5:3; Hebrews 10:39; James 4:12 and 2 Peter 3:7, 9. However, there’s a big barrier to this kind of interpretation….

There are verses that are impossible to square with destruction meaning annihilation. Second Thessalonians 1:9 is one of those barriers. It reads, “They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (ESV). Who are “they”? They are “those who do not know God” and “do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus” (2 Thess. 1:8). This is referring to unbelievers. The words from 2 Thess. 1:9, “eternal destruction”, could hardly mean “eternal annihilation”. This verse creates the added problem against annihilation that the ungodly will be “away from the presence of the Lord”, which indicates that their existence is continuing but they will be shut out from being in God’s presence. If one were to speak of being “destroyed” from the presence of the Lord, it would imply non-existence (from my article, Eternal torment for unbelievers when they die).

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Originally Posted by Timothew
I believe that aionios means eternal, and I believe that eternal punishment MEANS eternal punishment. The wicked are destroyed and remain destroyed forever. They are not temporarily destroyed. They perish, just as the Bible says. You say "If one were to speak of being “destroyed” from the presence of the Lord, it would imply non-existence".

Yes, it does.
When I backed out of the driveway with my car, I ran over my son's toy truck and destroyed it. It was not obliterated. I did not cause it to go into non-existence. It was existing, but destroyed.

This is what 2 Thessalonians 1:9 (ESV) states: 'They [those who do not know God, v8] will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might'.

We are told the nature of this ‘destruction’ in context. Second Thess 1:7-8 says of unbelievers (those inflicting punishment on the believers at Thessalonica) that ‘God considers it just to repay with affliction…. inflicting vengeance’. That’s the language of God and he says that this is what happens when ‘they will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might’ (1:9).

To summarise what the Scriptures state in the context of 2 Thess. 1:7-9.

• unbelievers will be repaid with affliction;
  • In this affliction, God is inflicting vengeance;
  • This vengeance is called ‘eternal destruction’’;
  • And it means being ‘away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might’.
This is the justice that all unbelievers will receive from the absolutely just Almighty God of the universe. ‘Destruction’ in 2 Thess 1:9 is a descriptive term and it tells us its content. Those who want to find destruction to mean something that is destroyed and that’s the end (which is what some annihilationists say it means) are found to be wanting because of the Greek word, aiwnios (eternal). There is no time frame here. It is timeless eternity and this destruction goes on to the aeon to come. This is what the adjective, aiwnios, means. It is true that the eternal life of the believers is as long at the eternal destruction/eternal infliction of vengeance on unbelievers.

Second Thess 1:9 says that this will be happening ‘away from the presence of the Lord’ and from ‘the glory of his might’. Please don’t minimise the seriousness of this destruction. The saints are surrounded by the glory of the Lord God’s presence. The unbelievers are excluded from the presence of the Lord and are experiencing God’s vengeance by means of eternal destruction. You and I don’t invent the meaning of ‘destruction’. It is explained in context.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Timothew,

I refer to your post at #142 and this is a response.

If we took some isolated Scriptures, it may be possible to take these passages to mean annihilation. I’m thinking of the word, “destroy”, in Matt. 10:28, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell [Greek: Gehenna]” (ESV). Even with passages such as Matt. 7:13-14 where the broad road leads to destruction and John 3:16, “Whoever believes in him shall not perish”, could be pressed to try to get the meaning of annihilation. Even if we took the following passages alone without consideration of other passages, there is a possibility that extermination/extinction of the wicked could be an interpretation: John 10:28; 17:12; Romans 2:12; 9:22; Philippians 1:28; 3:19; 1 Thessalonians 5:3; Hebrews 10:39; James 4:12 and 2 Peter 3:7, 9. However, there’s a big barrier to this kind of interpretation. And I have shared this with you already, but you don't seem to be open to it.

There are verses that are impossible to square with destruction meaning annihilation. Second Thessalonians 1:9 is one of those barriers. It reads, “They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (ESV). Who are “they”? They are “those who do not know God” and “do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus” (2 Thess. 1:8). This is referring to unbelievers. The words from 2 Thess. 1:9, “eternal destruction”, could hardly mean “eternal annihilation”. This verse creates the added problem against annihilation that the ungodly will be “away from the presence of the Lord”, which indicates that their existence is continuing but they will be shut out from being in God’s presence. If one were to speak of being “destroyed” from the presence of the Lord, it would imply non-existence. Scot McKnight put it this way: 'Paul has in mind an irreversible verdict of eternal nonfellowship with God. A person exists but remains excluded from God’s good presence' (in Peterson 1995:163).

In Revelation 17:8, 11, “destruction” is prophesied of “the beast”, but in Revelation 19 the Beast and False Prophet “were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur” (19:20). We know that they are still alive when this is happening because they are there 1,000 years later (Rev. 20:7,10). It cannot mean what Fudge says it means, “The lake of fire stands for utter, absolute, irreversible annihilation” (in Peterson 1995:164).

There are five main pictures that the Bible uses to speak of hell. These are: darkness and separation (Matt. 8:12; 22:13; 25:30; Jude 13; Rev. 22:14), fire (Matt 25:41), weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matt 22:13), punishment (Matt 25:46), and death and destruction (2 Thess 1:7-9). Only the last one fits with annihilationism. The rest do not and all passages that deal with 'destruction' do not fit into the category of annihilation.

Jesus’ language is of those who are “thrown into eternal fire” (Matt 18:8). Paul’s was of being “punished with everlasting destruction” (2 Thess. 1:9). Jude warned of “the punishment of eternal fire” (Jude 7) and of those “for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever” (Jude 13). Of the sinful, condemned humanity, John’s vision was that “the smoke from her goes up forever and ever” (Rev. 19:3).
As far back as 1744, Matthew Horbery wrote, “It is hard to say how any doctrine can be taught so plainly than the eternity of future punishment…. how could he have done it in plainer words or in a more emphatical manner?” (Horbery 1744:61-62).

Therefore, I conclude that 'destruction' does not mean annihilation but continuing punishment and that for eternity.

Sincerely,
Oz

Works consulted
Henry Horbery 1744. An Enquiry into the Scripture-Doctrine concerning the Duration of Future Punishment. London: James Fletcher. Partly available as a Google book online HERE (Accessed 17 December 2014).
Robert A. Peterson 1995. Hell on Trial: The Case for Eternal Punishment. Phillipsburg, New Jersey: P&R Publishing.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:

Congregational Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for orthodox Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in the Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion forum.
Debate against hell and for annihilation is unorthodox. This is an orthodox forum. Please keep that in mind when posting.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in the wikipedia article on "The Problem of Hell" it talks about the unfairness of an infinite consequence of finite sin. Regardless of how bad one was on earth, nevertheless an infinite punishment for sins committed during a finite period seems an overkill.

On the other hand, is it fair that an entire lifetime is altered just by a 1 hour exam? Or that one mistake could land you the death penalty in the wrong country?

What are your opinions on this, as I am quite troubled by it.

"Fairness" is not a Biblical concept. The Bible talks about justice, not "fairness".

Second, Hell is not based on the severity of the sin, but on the Holiness of the one sinned against, in this case, God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.