Is Greek Mythology Relevant to Christians?

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The reason I ask is that in Revelation, The Bible in Revelation 1:18 says " And the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." And again in Acts 2:31 "He foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption."
At Greekmythology.com it says, "Hades was the brother of Zeus and Poseidon. After the overthrow of their father, Cronus, he drew lots with them to share the universe. He drew poorly, which resulted in becoming lord of the underworld and ruler of the dead."

I looked this up because I couldnt remember what or who Hades was and I was shocked to read that. Why does the Bible reference Hades as being real, and does that make Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, Apollo, etc. real also? I have never questioned this before, but what does this mean? Im trying to find a logical explanation for this...

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hades in the Scriptures just refers to "the place of the dead" which was another understanding they had for the word among the Greeks, whose language was used to write the New Testament.

It implies no endorsement of or connection to Greek mythology.

It's like if we use the words Sunday, Monday, Tuesday ... if you look it up, these words are based on Roman mythology. Because we use and understand them does not imply that we endorse or connect ourselves to Roman gods.

Upvote 0

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I ask is that in Revelation, The Bible in Revelation 1:18 says " And the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." And again in Acts 2:31 "He foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption."
It is interesting to note that Clement of Alexandria (if my memory serves me) claimed that Greek philosophers plagiarized Hebrew wisdom. Solomon was considered the wisest man on earth and kings came from all over to learn of his wisdom.

Hebrew wisdom is understanding "the mystery hidden from the beginning". From an early time this wisdom was perverted. Many of the ancient religions took the attributes of the one God, and spread them over a pantheon of gods. The Greeks found out their gods were not big enough.

Unfortunately, the Gentile church made the error of dismissing Hebrew wisdom. Even before John was dead there is evidence the apostles' teaching was being marginalized within the church. By 40 AD they had thrown out Jewish Christians (Augustine in the west and Constantine in the east) and favored Greek philosophy more than Hebrew wisdom.

Augustine even claimed that the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, was more reliable than the original writings.

The Protestants did not correct this error and have largely ignore Hebrew wisdom found in the Bible in favor of Greek philosophy, logic, debate and rhetoric.

A simple example: Mammon is said by the Greek churches to be money. The word used that way is of Chaldee or Syriac origin. The Hebrew meaning is "the believing one". You cannot serve God and self.

The Greeks love to debate money and justify themselves with their debates. But the Hebrew wisdom is to die to self.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
At Greekmythology.com it says, "Hades was the brother of Zeus and Poseidon. After the overthrow of their father, Cronus, he drew lots with them to share the universe. He drew poorly, which resulted in becoming lord of the underworld and ruler of the dead."

I looked this up because I couldnt remember what or who Hades was and I was shocked to read that. Why does the Bible reference Hades as being real, and does that make Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, Apollo, etc. real also? I have never questioned this before, but what does this mean? Im trying to find a logical explanation for this...

Like Anastasia said, to the Greeks both the God of the dead and the realm of the dead were called Hades, so in the Bible's case it means the latter.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to note that Clement of Alexandria (if my memory serves me) claimed that Greek philosophers plagiarized Hebrew wisdom.

While it is certainly true that the ancient cultures of the Mediterranean world exchanged ideas and beliefs, I am convinced that the greatest influence was on Judeo-Christianity rather than by it. I see three major influences:
* the Egyptian beliefs primarily during the period of slavery prior to the Exodus
* the Zoroastrian religion during the Exile in Babylon.
* Greek philosophy (particularly dualism) which was enthusiastically adopted by the Early Church

Unfortunately, the Gentile church made the error of dismissing Hebrew wisdom. Even before John was dead there is evidence the apostles' teaching was being marginalized within the church.

I have to agree with this completely. The loss of the ability to "read scripture with Jewish eyes" has negatively impacted Christianity over the centuries. It is only recently that we are beginning to recognize our loss.

Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Revelation was wrote in Greek. But don't kid yourself with the word "Mythology". Do some research on Zeus/Jupiter.

The god Zeus was originally named Belios, it came from the Babylonian god Bel, who got it it from the Canaanites, an evil god called BAAL. Zeus is Baal. This is a documented fact. Now remember what Jesus said to the Church of Pergamum?

Revelation 2:12 To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of the One who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

Pergamum had the Temple to Zeus, the Romans built it at this time. The Germans discovered it in the early 1900's and moved it to Berlin. Hitler gave many of his crazed speeches from he Throne of Satan. Zeus is Baal.

The Seat of Satan: Ancient Pergamum

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is interesting to note that Clement of Alexandria (if my memory serves me) claimed that Greek philosophers plagiarized Hebrew wisdom. Solomon was considered the wisest man on earth and kings came from all over to learn of his wisdom.

Hebrew wisdom is understanding "the mystery hidden from the beginning". From an early time this wisdom was perverted. Many of the ancient religions took the attributes of the one God, and spread them over a pantheon of gods. The Greeks found out their gods were not big enough.

Unfortunately, the Gentile church made the error of dismissing Hebrew wisdom. Even before John was dead there is evidence the apostles' teaching was being marginalized within the church. By 40 AD they had thrown out Jewish Christians (Augustine in the west and Constantine in the east) and favored Greek philosophy more than Hebrew wisdom.

Augustine even claimed that the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, was more reliable than the original writings.

The Protestants did not correct this error and have largely ignore Hebrew wisdom found in the Bible in favor of Greek philosophy, logic, debate and rhetoric.

A simple example: Mammon is said by the Greek churches to be money. The word used that way is of Chaldee or Syriac origin. The Hebrew meaning is "the believing one". You cannot serve God and self.

The Greeks love to debate money and justify themselves with their debates. But the Hebrew wisdom is to die to self.
Ok so just because they are mentioned means nothing because it's just saying that some people worshipped them- not that they are real or valid. In other words these are false gods.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Ok so it's like probably a strange name in a sense for an entity. It would be like
an entity named "purgatory"

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Revelation was wrote in Greek. But don't kid yourself with the word "Mythology". Do some research on Zeus/Jupiter.

The god Zeus was originally named Belios, it came from the Babylonian god Bel, who got it it from the Canaanites, an evil god called BAAL. Zeus is Baal. This is a documented fact. Now remember what Jesus said to the Church of Pergamum?

Revelation 2:12 To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of the One who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

Pergamum had the Temple to Zeus, the Romans built it at this time. The Germans discovered it in the early 1900's and moved it to Berlin. Hitler gave many of his crazed speeches from he Throne of Satan. Zeus is Baal.

The Seat of Satan: Ancient Pergamum
Zeus was an evil god in the heavens that threw lightening bolts?? Ooooh hence the lightening bolt!!! I fully get it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,186.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Hades/Hell is an entity, so is death. These are enemies of God. Hades/Hell is also a place.
Rev.6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Apollo is also an entity.
Rev. 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

They imho are relevant as they are mentioned in scripture as enemies of God that will be cast into the lake of fire in the end times.

Upvote 0