Oct 31, 2017
✟19,210.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have these photos downloaded, they are very beautiful. They are photos from cities and buildings, i downloaded from social media, nobody in particular posted.

My countries law say it's ok to download things if not used for profit, but would it be a sin of stealing? I don't want to steal from anyone.

I figured if they are that beautiful and have no name on it (like a water mark), they are made to be shared. But I'm not sure. I don't want to do something bad.

I don't want to delete these photos if they are ok, but if it isn't (if it is theft) i don't want them.

What do you guys think?

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From my understanding when people post these pictures on the internet they are planning to share them.
If they do not want you to copy it, they can make it so you can't download it.
Attempting to download some pictures will direct you to a website where they will ask for payment.
But if they make it public domain, it is free to download.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll get some links up if you like but unless otherwise stated, at least as a general rule, in the US all original photos put on the internet are automatically copyrighted. I looked it up because I seemed to recall just that. Just like anything else you may be able to get permission to use them. Thing is, it's likely most would give that permission, but we, in all good conscience, cannot assume that.

Ebay used to take down original pictures when we reported them being used in someone else' listing, they had to. And as cheap as they are with keeping their site clear of wrong doers, they finally wrote an agreement that all pics posted could be used by anyone, and when we list, we automatically agree to that. Had it been legal, they would never would have has to do that, so, just driving the point home fro those who have experienced that.

And this will be a "Don't do what I do, do what I say" post. We do it with out even thinking about it. I want to start stating justifications but in reality there are none.

But I do have to wonder what God would think of it...is it that cut and dry or maybe not? It is after all his landscape for instance...but there I go with the justifications. It's also his materials that make up a car, and taking those are definitely sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have these photos downloaded, they are very beautiful. They are photos from cities and buildings, i downloaded from social media, nobody in particular posted.

My countries law say it's ok to download things if not used for profit, but would it be a sin of stealing? I don't want to steal from anyone.

I figured if they are that beautiful and have no name on it (like a water mark), they are made to be shared. But I'm not sure. I don't want to do something bad.

I don't want to delete these photos if they are ok, but if it isn't (if it is theft) i don't want them.

What do you guys think?
Just having them for personal use is okay, but using them commercially to make money out of them is another thing. You would not need permission or pay a royalty for having them for your own personal viewing, even if you use them for your free church bulletin or newsletter, but if you are going to use them commercially then you would need permission and to pay a royalty to the owner. That is, or course, if the owner of the picture or image has not stated that his images can be used for free in the public domain.

Upvote 0

JesusIsLord_

Oct 31, 2017
✟19,210.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From my understanding when people post these pictures on the internet they are planning to share them.
If they do not want you to copy it, they can make it so you can't download it.
Attempting to download some pictures will direct you to a website where they will ask for payment.
But if they make it public domain, it is free to download.

That's what I've figured, then "but what if the picture is stolen", but if i go by that logic i would have to doubt every thing i buy and have etc and I'm too tired for that (and that very paranoic isn't it). Thank you :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums