Is divine command ethics demonstrable/falsifiable?

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
While I cannot say I've done a great deal of research into meta ethics, I find that the common thread in terms of defending the idea of goodness itself is often couched in terminology that, whether one is aware or not, is fairly close to divine command ethics, arguing that goodness is identical to God's nature and commands thereof, rather than being something we can deduce ourselves

But even without applying the Euthypro dilemma, is it not a tautology to basically define God in such a way that its nature is goodness and thus any commands you ascribe to it by divine revelation and faith would necessarily have to be good?

How can you justify any aspect of divine command theory without making appeals to either tautological ideas of God that are goalpost shifting to avoid confronting the essence of goodness without reference to God's nature or holy scriptures?

God gave us his word for a reason. So that we could use our own reason and discover what is good. God's definition of righteousness is obedience to his commands. To me that's about as concrete as it comes. But I am one of those weirdos who really believes that the Bible is the word of God. So you may discount this opinion right off the muscle.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God gave us his word for a reason. So that we could use our own reason and discover what is good. God's definition of righteousness is obedience to his commands. To me that's about as concrete as it comes. But I am one of those weirdos who really believes that the Bible is the word of God. So you may discount this opinion right off the muscle.

Except if we can discover it on our own, we don't need the word that you claim is so important, because it would be rationally discernible in itself

Referring back to what you believe is God's word seems circular and question begging in the logic, rather than demonstrating the factualness of the foundational aspect: God.

"Word of God" is arguably vague and esoteric in what it tends to mean theologically, so your characterization may differ from another sincere Christian's understanding of it.

The problem becomes that you're making the nature of morality obedience to commands rather than adherence to principles, the latter more open to critical thought and self correction, the former authoritarian and dogmatic practically speaking. It's like a parent just affirming their authority for justification rather than actually engaging in some sense of dialogue with a child so they can genuinely understand rather than just slavishly obey

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't think seeing equivocation as the only possibility is fair to the Christian tradition. For instance, are you considering Aquinas' analogia entis, that there is only an analogical relationship between notions such as "good", and God's essence?

It would still be cataphatic in nature, which is my point, you're taking stuff that doesn't require God to be cogent and then suggesting it's potentially the best way to understand and everything else is insufficient. They can be analogical, but the point is that it's correlation rather than causation, a relationship that's tenuous in nature as to whether it's compelling, Aquinas not really doing apologetics, but just systematic theology as I understand it

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except if we can discover it on our own, we don't need the word that you claim is so important, because it would be rationally discernible in itself

And I'm saying that I don't believe it's possible because the definition of righteousness is found in the word. Now people can - out of pure self-interest - discover how to be "good" because "bad" behavior has consequences. It won't get them to heaven though. If you care about that, you've got to go to the word of the creator of the universe.

Referring back to what you believe is God's word seems circular and question begging in the logic, rather than demonstrating the factualness of the foundational aspect: God.

The resurrection of Christ is itself one of the greatest evidences of the authority and truthfulness about God's word as written by witnesses to the event.

"Word of God" is arguably vague and esoteric in what it tends to mean theologically, so your characterization may differ from another sincere Christian's understanding of it.

It really has nothing at all to do with one's characterization of it. It says what it says and though interpretations can be varied, that speaks to man's lack of acceptance than anything about it's authority or truthfulness. I can be wrong about some of its meaning but that is usually my problem in understanding.
The problem becomes that you're making the nature of morality obedience to commands rather than adherence to principles, the latter more open to critical thought and self correction, the former authoritarian and dogmatic practically speaking. It's like a parent just affirming their authority for justification rather than actually engaging in some sense of dialogue with a child so they can genuinely understand rather than just slavishly obey

Well, see, I'm glad I have the word then since truth can be subjective to mankind. Christianity is the only religion I know where the person we Christians worship was foretold a thousand years before he arrived and during that thousand years it was prophesied not only that he would come, but what he would preach when he got here, and exactly how people would react to his message. The only way that could be possible is if he was truly from God.

I've decided that if there really was a creator of the universe, the most sensible and moral and just thing he would do is to leave us a legacy of his words so that we would have a proper guide as to why he made us in the first place.

That may make me irrational and psychotic to some people. To me, it's really the only rational explanation. If I'm wrong, nothing bad can come of my beliefs. The alternative is that I pick my own way and fail to have a relationship with the God who created the universe, instead groping around and missing what is best for me and my neighbors.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It would still be cataphatic in nature, which is my point, you're taking stuff that doesn't require God to be cogent

Do Christians really claim concepts such as goodness requires belief in God to be cogent? I don't think so, not in general.

Aquinas does try to give an account of the Christian faith that is in harmony with reason, as much as possible. In that sense he is doing apologetics, especially because one of his major works was Contra Gentiles which is apologetic in nature.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
And I'm saying that I don't believe it's possible because the definition of righteousness is found in the word. Now people can - out of pure self-interest - discover how to be "good" because "bad" behavior has consequences. It won't get them to heaven though. If you care about that, you've got to go to the word of the creator of the universe.

You're really not helping your cause.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

That's tautological, you can't assert that your book has the only definition that is accurate, you'd have to prove and/or demonstrate through rational standards

And this is begging the question that the universe' existence necessitates a creator when we have no evidence that the universe has to have a beginning, demanding some absolute answer to paradoxes that we may never get certainty on

The resurrection of Christ is itself one of the greatest evidences of the authority and truthfulness about God's word as written by witnesses to the event.

Alleged witnesses and their interpretation as such is insufficient to conclude that 1) Jesus resurrected and 2) even if we grant that, to suggest that the soteriological aspects are actually justified or demonstrable

It really has nothing at all to do with one's characterization of it. It says what it says and though interpretations can be varied, that speaks to man's lack of acceptance than anything about it's authority or truthfulness. I can be wrong about some of its meaning but that is usually my problem in understanding.

Again, tautology and circular logic abound: you don't get to just assert it's right outside of your assessment and just chalk up misunderstandings to human fallibility, when that's all we reasonably have, there isn't some grasping of the truth in itself, only as far as we can be intellectually humble and admit our shortcomings and limits. Absolute truth is inflexible and antithetical to reason and critical thought, to say nothing of intellectual honesty. Words don't speak in themselves, they are subject to human interpretation and historical usage over time, it's not going to convey the same message or even be necessarily compelling when the ancient people that wrote the bible thought rabbits chewed the cud or other factually incorrect notions

Well, see, I'm glad I have the word then since truth can be subjective to mankind. Christianity is the only religion I know where the person we Christians worship was foretold a thousand years before he arrived and during that thousand years it was prophesied not only that he would come, but what he would preach when he got here, and exactly how people would react to his message. The only way that could be possible is if he was truly from God.

Subjective /=/ relative, the former is how we necessarily approach the world, relative is an ontological status of things that would render any cogent discussion impossible because we wouldn't have any remotely stable basis in the first place (which is not the same as absolute basis, which is irrational and idealistic)

Yeah, funny thing with prophecies, people can interpret them to be fulfilled based on the fact that they interpret them a certain way, to say nothing of their being known beforehand making their fulfillment redundant given potential groups with a vested interest in making it come to pass can do so and it wouldn't be known otherwise except as someone thinks they interpreted the prophecy wrong, which is easy when they're generally vague in nature or subject to metaphor for cogency

You do know people can be predictable in terms of sociological behavior, right? People might have been scientifically illiterate back then, but it's not like they couldn't discern over generations that people tend to be conformist and appeal to authority, so it stands to reason they'd concoct some persecuted messiah to play into the notions of the resentful masses that would want to overthrow the minority in power

I've decided that if there really was a creator of the universe, the most sensible and moral and just thing he would do is to leave us a legacy of his words so that we would have a proper guide as to why he made us in the first place.

You can decide that, it has no bearing on the truth of the claims you attribute to a book that, while popular, does not lend itself to much in regards to scientific or even moral truths that cannot be found in various other cultures before and after it. If you want to just be a follower, fine, but that's hardly much more than fallacious thinking that eschews any self correction to beliefs that could be false, seemingly out of insecurity
That may make me irrational and psychotic to some people. To me, it's really the only rational explanation. If I'm wrong, nothing bad can come of my beliefs. The alternative is that I pick my own way and fail to have a relationship with the God who created the universe, instead groping around and missing what is best for me and my neighbors.

Yeah, except that's a false dichotomy that assumes there is one absolute way to your god or everything's a failure somehow, to say nothing of applying the painfully lazy Pascal's Wager, as if a god that supposedly cares about sincere belief would be tricked by someone being motivated by self satisfying notions of what they stand to gain or lose rather that, you know, actually being genuine in believing in God because of their "faith"[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What do you think my cause is?
By all means explain what your cause is. Or do you claim not to have one and essentially shirk real responsibility for defending the faith you hold? 1 Peter 3:15 seems to support this notion, among a few others from Paul in particular

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Do Christians really claim concepts such as goodness requires belief in God to be cogent? I don't think so, not in general.

Aquinas does try to give an account of the Christian faith that is in harmony with reason, as much as possible. In that sense he is doing apologetics, especially because one of his major works was Contra Gentiles which is apologetic in nature.
If not cogent, then fulfilled in the best sense perhaps, my goodness concept hollow by comparison

As much as possible, but always with caveats when it becomes impossible to do more mental gymnastics, seemingly

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that was good, or certainly not absolutely good, but you're also selectively picking something that has particular implications rather than considering death and life as not diametrically opposed axiomatically

Yet I stick with my comment, death bad, you diecide what it is to you.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Overthinking makes me suspicious.

It's often a way to reach a preferred end over a truthful one.

Truth is not merely what you find compelling, however convinced you are, it's often against mere sentimentality and pathos that motivates superstitious and religious thought like God existing and loving you

Funny thing how they have no explanation for life but they are sure God is superstition. That type illogical view screams, "In the end I'm just here to say God doesn't exist"

I didn't expect you to make my point so perfectly, and with the first reply.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's tautological, you can't assert that your book has the only definition that is accurate, you'd have to prove and/or demonstrate through rational standards

And this is begging the question that the universe' existence necessitates a creator when we have no evidence that the universe has to have a beginning, demanding some absolute answer to paradoxes that we may never get certainty on

We have scientific laws stating that some effect must have a cause.
And we have scientific observation confirming this.

To claim that something exists without a primary cause is religion
because it has no scientific basis.

Existence is good. Destruction is bad.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Existence and creation are not the same thing, you're equivocating one thing as a noun with another that is as much an act or process (creation or generation) rather than a cosmological status (existence)

They are both good. Existence and the process of creation.
Destruction is bad as is the result, also bad.

Destruction (Satan) cannot even exist without good (creation) to work with.
Satan must have something to corrupt because he has no powers to create.

I glad I could help! What you got?

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Presenting an apologetic for the Christian faith?

That wasn't my cause at all. For one I don't think the bible requires defending. It can defend itself fine if only people read it. Most people present their apologetic without regard for the scripture.

I was presenting my own personal opinion as that seemed the appropriate thing for this topic.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I cannot say I've done a great deal of research into meta ethics, I find that the common thread in terms of defending the idea of goodness itself is often couched in terminology that, whether one is aware or not, is fairly close to divine command ethics, arguing that goodness is identical to God's nature and commands thereof, rather than being something we can deduce ourselves

But even without applying the Euthypro dilemma, is it not a tautology to basically define God in such a way that its nature is goodness and thus any commands you ascribe to it by divine revelation and faith would necessarily have to be good?

How can you justify any aspect of divine command theory without making appeals to either tautological ideas of God that are goalpost shifting to avoid confronting the essence of goodness without reference to God's nature or holy scriptures?
Why did you capitalize God in your post?

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Not really. My faith is just as unprovable as yours. You attempt to defend the so-called rational based on hand-wavy standards of truth. Unless you're Socrates or Aristotle, I doubt you are going to properly defend your own philosophy to any standard that hasn't already been done first and generally better.

So you already admit then that your belief is just as unsupportable as mine and because yours is without proof just as mine is. However, I think my "truth" has evidence. Mine is backed by eyewitness testimony of a risen Christ. There's more evidence that Christ lived and was crucified and resurrected than your (probable) belief that Pythagoras lived. You accept his existence (I do too) on far less evidence than the evidence that Jesus lived and was resurrected.

Alleged witnesses and their interpretation as such is insufficient to conclude that 1) Jesus resurrected and 2) even if we grant that, to suggest that the soteriological aspects are actually justified or demonstrable

I'm not arguing any doctrine. He was crucified and over 500 witnesses saw him alive after having witnessed him die on a cross. For the purpose of this discussion, fling out all religious doctrines. Doesn't matter to me. He lived, he was prophesied to arrive in the time of the Roman Empire over 500 years before there was a Roman empire and those texts are verified to have been written long before Jesus was born. Those texts also tell us what he would say when he got here. That cannot be explained by any earthly, rational standard other than somebody was able to see the future and write it down. Compared to modern so-called climate experts, I'd say we can assert that the bible is far more reliable than any scientific text.

Again, tautology and circular logic abound: you don't get to just assert it's right outside of your assessment and just chalk up misunderstandings to human fallibility

It's my argument and its my opinion. I get to present it however I'd like. It was my infallibility that I laid out there, not yours.

Subjective /=/ relative, the former is how we necessarily approach the world, relative is an ontological status of things that would render any cogent discussion impossible because we wouldn't have any remotely stable basis in the first place (which is not the same as absolute basis, which is irrational and idealistic)

You don't have a stable basis anyway. Your texts, your philosophies, your beliefs have so far been unable to provide any empirical evidence which is why you object to my reliance on the Bible. But I think I have the evidence on my side of the argument. When you can show me any "rational" evidence that your side of the argument has presented, showing that adherence to it gives me assurance of my "righteousness," I will consider it. Your "side," and forgive me for the convenient use of that word merely for the sake of this argument, cannot present any consistent list of what is good.

Just take a look at foreign policy for instance. In many cases, the general proscription against murder is completely disregarded for the sake of "safety and security." Where a reasonable person would demand due process before people are murdered, governments (groups of so-called rational men) relax these standards because due process is determined to be inconvenient. If your side's philosophy were even remotely consistent, this would not be allowed.

Yeah, funny thing with prophecies, people can interpret them to be fulfilled based on the fact that they interpret them a certain way, to say nothing of their being known beforehand making their fulfillment redundant given potential groups with a vested interest in making it come to pass can do so and it wouldn't be known otherwise except as someone thinks they interpreted the prophecy wrong, which is easy when they're generally vague in nature or subject to metaphor for cogency

You're right. People can wrongly interpret the bible. But biblical prophecy is not vague. For instance, the Daniel prophecies which describe 500 years before there was a Roman empire, the Roman empire and its exact succession - ie; what empires would come before it and where their power centers would be.

Show me anywhere in the so-called rational world that we can find so accurate a prediction of geo-political changes. The rational world predicted that Hillary would be president in 2016.

You do know people can be predictable in terms of sociological behavior, right? People might have been scientifically illiterate back then, but it's not like they couldn't discern over generations that people tend to be conformist and appeal to authority, so it stands to reason they'd concoct some persecuted messiah to play into the notions of the resentful masses that would want to overthrow the minority in power

People can be predictable, maybe. But this is putting the cart before the horse. You haven't read the bible and thus you assert that it was the later generations who made up the idea of the Messiah somehow conforming to the prior writings in a vague sense.

That is not what the bible describes at all. And it was so predictive that it even was able to remark on the soldiers who cast lots for Jesus' garments ~300 years or so before this happened. If it was only a year prior to the events, this would be astounding. It predicted that Jesus would be crucified before there was even such a thing as crucifixion.

You can decide that, it has no bearing on the truth of the claims you attribute to a book that, while popular, does not lend itself to much in regards to scientific or even moral truths that cannot be found in various other cultures before and after it. If you want to just be a follower, fine, but that's hardly much more than fallacious thinking that eschews any self correction to beliefs that could be false, seemingly out of insecurity

That is your opinion, based on ignorance. I don't mean that to be insulting, but you haven't read the bible as is obvious by your characterization of it. I'm not saying this negates your arguments in general, just the ones which assert things about the bible.

Yeah, except that's a false dichotomy that assumes there is one absolute way to your god or everything's a failure somehow, to say nothing of applying the painfully lazy Pascal's Wager, as if a god that supposedly cares about sincere belief would be tricked by someone being motivated by self satisfying notions of what they stand to gain or lose rather that, you know, actually being genuine in believing in God because of their "faith"

Actually, Jesus was happy to have people believe out of mere self-interest as long as they obeyed the commands he gave them. So it would seem he's more rational than most modern philosophers.

John 10
"If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38 but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The dilemma makes the mistake that "the good" is objective, and in a case where God can do as it wishes and has the power, it should also have the power and imagination to define it as it so chooses.

No matter how powerful they are or how they set up the system or what life they create, the fundamental definition of 'goodness' will remain.

I think this is a good reply. Indeed, premising a position on the ability to redefine a word is chimerical. If goodness means something then it can't be arbitrarily changed.

You could even create a creature that thrives by trying not to thrive and self hating everything that is truly good for it and putting it in an opposite universe where every harmful action the creature would take to commit suicide made it instead thrive according to that God's plan.

If the creature "thrives by x," then x is good for the creature. The presence of antifragility wouldn't change the meaning of goodness. All you've really said is, "But consider the possibility in which what is good is counter-intuitive." The basic definition remains intact, and is related to thriving.

Upvote 0