Is Christianity about being a 'Good' person?

Glorytothefather2245

Always Forgive!
Site Supporter
May 26, 2018
Rhode Island
✟239,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi you.

What do you think about this?

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Have you ever looked in the mirror, and looked deep down inside of yourself?

Are you really a good person? Is this what Christianity is about?
No because we are not saved by works but by grace thru faith. True Christianity is about calling upon the name of the Lord and ackowledging that we are sinners and need Jesus Christ, and that we truly believe he died and rose from the dead. Its about dieing to our flesh everyday not just every saturday or sunday.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
All of us human beings are born into sin. As the scriptures state "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". Since we have all missed the mark, none of us will ever be good enough.
But should that detract a Christian from aspiring to become a better person, to strive for goodness in all they do? I certainly think so. With God's help, we should all focus on living lives that are more gracious, more loving, more forgiving, honest and faithful.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes and no. Jesus came to establish the Kingdom, and to call people to participate. But certainly being good is part of it. I think when "good person" is used today it is reasonable to see it as corresponding to "righteous" in the Bible. Aside from a few places in Paul saying you can't be good enough to earn God's love, righteous doesn't mean morally perfect. It means you love God and neighbor, and repent when you do something wrong. I think that's consistent with how most people use "good." They don't mean morally perfect, or someone who earned God's love through good deeds. It's at least a reasonable part of what Jesus called us to do, although there's more.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Don't let the question of 'good' or bad stifle your experience with Him. I'm sure that you ARE a good person from a sociocultural standpoint, but it doesn't have much to do with your personal relationship with God.

Though I'm God fearing, I don't feel obligated to scrub up and put on a show for Him. I mean, He witnessed my birth, He knows I leave the toilet seat up (even if I think He won't notice), so there's no point in trying to be 'good', because He's seen everything - the only thing I need to concern myself with is consistent communication with Him.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To everyone who has responded. Thank you so much for all of you for your time to send a quick response and hopefully this has been helpful to many people who have viewed it.

God bless you, and your families and those seeking may they find that light, in a world that can seem so dark, and a life that can seem so difficult.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I believe many (including myself) ask that question often. Even when we are enlightened with excellent advice and reminders that after all, we are all sinners. Perhaps once we come to a realization, we become aware of our sin(s), and seek forgiveness....is one way to know whether or not we should label ourselves *good or bad.

:)

Upvote 0

Ramon1

Nov 4, 2020
Chicago
✟10,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is this what Christianity is about?
To me, Christianity is a great tool to become a great person and defend yourself from evil. It reminds me of a spiritual karate of sorts.
and people who humble themselves and acknowledge that they can't be good enough to earn God's favor.
Once someone does this, they realize they are good enough for God. God forgives our sin. I believe God actually wants us to shake it up a bit; he opposes stagnation. I'm not for taking the bible too literally. If you are a true believer and follower of God, you can't. The bible itself demonstrates that Satan uses scripture against us, e.g., when he tempted Jesus in the desert, Satan quoted scripture with each temptation.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

What do you think about this?

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Are you really a good person? Is this what Christianity is about?

My answer is "yes" and "no." Yes, I am in principle because through Jesus' suffering and death, God the Father looks at me as completely good only because of Jesus' perfect goodness.

No, I'm not a good person in practice, because the imperfect flaws and selfish sins remain in my sinful nature, which needs to be gradually overcome by the new nature that God has given me by way of the miracle of the new birth. The Father and Jesus send the Holy Spirit into my life to give me the ability to make spiritual progress by my reading of the Bible, church attendance, grateful service, and prayer.

Upvote 0

Jovajna

Oct 3, 2020
Serbia
✟8,647.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi you.

.., and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Wonderful answer, and at the same time the answer to your question from the subject: If I am any good, it is from the God.
It is not about keeping score, is someone good enough. It is about love for God, people and all creation. Getting close to God and his Love through sincere prayer and open heart towards Him as our Maker and the one who loves us, His creation, the most. Everything else that is good in us comes as a consequence of that love.
My experience: Yep, never a good person there. Always full of sins and ugly stuff. I make a win in one place, there are two new battles to do. And the answer is not losing hope and faith. In those moments I can see my powerlessness, as they are many and I am one. And then I turn to God, His Blessed Mother and our Saints and Guardians to protect me. That way, I can survive. So seeing our your self as we truly are is a way to salvation. If we think we are something good, there is no salvation in it (that's the new age movement, where human is just good and god). But God forgives, so must we, or we'll end up in the institution :) All should be in good measure, as one can handle it. As time goes by, we can handle more and we can see our selves more clearly. Still, most important thing for me is that higher love, deep in our hearts, no point in doing anything without it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums