Is Christianity about being a 'Good' person?

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi you.

What do you think about this?

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Have you ever looked in the mirror, and looked deep down inside of yourself?

Are you really a good person? Is this what Christianity is about?

Christianity is not about being good person but about making dead people live.
What will u profit from feeding poor man who is unbeliever? Prolonged his existance by few days then he dies and roots in hell anyways

Upvote 0

justtrance

Dorcus
Oct 26, 2020
south
✟18,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christianity is not about being good person but about making dead people live.
What will u profit from feeding poor man who is unbeliever? Prolonged his existance by few days then he dies and roots in hell anyways
Maybe he turns his life around in that 3 days.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

If we're good persons already, what need is there for repentance?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi you.

I actually do think it is what it is about. But it is about theosis and not "Earning your Salvation".

And what is theosis you might ask? Well watch the video

• Useful
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi you.

Christianity is not about being a good person. The only measure of being a good person is the standard God has set. Therefore, nobody is a good person from His standpoint.

"Then a certain ruler asked Him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? “Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.… (Luke 18:18-19)."

"All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one (Romans 3:12)."

Christianity is about learning to trust in and depend on your God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

justtrance

Dorcus
Oct 26, 2020
south
✟18,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
If we're good persons already, what need is there for repentance?
I personally think there is a difference between GOOD and PERFECT.

Everyone can have a different view on the definition of GOOD. I personally think it's anyone who strives to not do damage to others.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi you.

The other day I was thinking how I'm only 1% good and 99% bad but God seemed pretty concerned with preserving that 1% of goodness that I was.

I don't think God likes us because of our evil. Christianity has to be something about us being good because goodness and God are the same thing. One of God's main attributes is goodness so I think it is extremely important.

If we had no goodness in us at all then we wouldn't even exist and we could not know God because we would be too alien from each other. Salvation would not be possible if there was nothing worth redeeming. Only God is good. if you realize that you might be able to notice the uncreated energy of everything that is affected by God that is good. it will be like reality but with some kind of Divine Light mysteriously shining through it. One thing that is, is all of the goodness in reality.

Yes, the very innocent rejoicing of joy in your heart over something good is God.

• Useful
Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently not on CF. I see way too many people responding in a way that is intended to make the person they are responding to feel like they are stupid. I also see alot of sarcasm which is another way of making people intellectually inferior. We need to be kind and gentle, and protect the flock at all costs. We dont want to chase people away

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I personally think there is a difference between GOOD and PERFECT.

Everyone can have a different view on the definition of GOOD. I personally think it's anyone who strives to not do damage to others.
Did you know that the word is commonly translated as perfect can also mean matured?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe my faith should impact my person and develop fruit which strengthens character. I do not believe it is acceptable for me to profess belief in God and be morally bankrupt.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is about obeying and following in Jesus Christ's footsteps. He lived a sinless and perfectly obedient life unto God. We too should aim to walk as perfectly and obediently as we possibly can.

Hebrews 5:9 KJB "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Revelation 22:14 KJB "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

• Informative
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi you.

No. Christianity is about being godly. Being good is not the same thing. To be godly means that we have to have the character and righteousness of God Himself. Those who are born again have both. This is given to us at the new birth. There is then a process by which what we are by the new birth is worked out in the realm of the soul. This working out is our day to day experience. If allow God to work, we will be transformed progressively. This is what is meant by the "Salvation of the soul."

Being "good" is nowhere near enough. There will good people in hell, even some who claimed to be Christian. God does not save "good" people. He saves sinners. It's a wonderful thing to watch a person being transformed over a period of decades. That is what salvation is about, a changed life.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm reminded of a two-panel meme I once saw on Facebook. I've looked for it since, and haven't found it, but I wish I could. It made a great point.

Panel one was labeled, "What people think being a Christian is." The illustration showed a man pointing to himself, with a smug, superior look on his face, and saying, "I am a good person."

Panel two was labeled, "What being a Christian actually is." The illustration showed a man on his knees, confessing, "Lord Jesus, I am a sinner. Please forgive me."

The same misconception is expressed when a non-Christian responds with, "I'm a (pagan, wiccan, atheist, agnostic, whatever) but I'm just as moral as you are!" Yes. You are. And what good does that do you? If Christians were morally superior to non-Christians, we wouldn't need Jesus, and then what would be the point of being a Christian?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,077.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sociologically, being a Christian should result in being conventionally 'good' but really It's about realizing you're the worst sinner and that Christ has redeemed you through his life, death and resurrection.

Being good in the worldly sense means you're basically not a criminal or an overt degenerate. Yet upon examination of the conscience, we should all be willing to admit our inherent sinfulness, whatever the specific sin we are tempted to.

It would be good for Christians to be associated with being generally good on a superficial level. Though that should always be qualified.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

Is Christianity about being a “good” person?

We have to reflect at what our Lord have said :

And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. -Luke 18:19

Is Jesus denying that He is good? No. Why ? Now, what has been said about who He is ?

He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" -Matthew 16:15

Simon Peter replied, "You are the CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD." -Matthew 16:16

And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not REVEALED this to you, but MY FATHER WHO IS IN HEAVEN. -Matthew 16:17

Our Lord is Christ of God and the Son of the Living God ; therefore, our Lord is good.

Now, are we good ?
This is what we have heard:

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. -Psalms 16:1
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." -Psalms 16:2
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. -Psalms 16:3

Why do we need to be preserve and cry to God for refuge ?

Apostle Peter relate to us this:
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. -1 Peter 5:8

Though we can’t see our Adversary, we know the truth that the Adversary endangers our lives and we need to seek refuge in Christ.

The adversary is hunting to steal, kill and destroy those who are not sober and watchful. That is more reason that we need to hide with our Lord or take refuge in Him.

Our Lord Jesus knows that we are spiritually poor, and that is why He calls us to repentance and seek humbly the Heavenly Father in true contrition.

Yes, we have many weaknesses, our Lord knows, that is why He send us help through the Holy Spirit. Knowing that, we should not neglect to pray in the spirit.

When we pray in the Spirit, Holy Spirit Himself intercedes for us, the SINNERS OR OFFENDERS or TRANSGRESSORS with groanings too deep for words, and that accords with God the Father’s will.

Why the psalmist speak that we have no good apart from the Lord ? It is because we cannot produce this fruit of goodness (mentioned in Galatians 5:22) apart from our Lord Jesus; as our Lord have spoken:

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for APART FROM ME you can do nothing. -John 15:5

Why the psalmist spoke of his delight in the saints in the land who are the excellent ones ?

It is because this also has been proclaimed :
He has told you, O man, what is GOOD; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? -Micah 6:8

If man has been told what is good by God, we must understand that God believe man can walk in obedience to His words.

yes, we can do good when we are in union with Christ but not apart from Christ.

For this is what apostle John have told us :
For EVERYONE who has been BORN OF GOD overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world'our faith. -1 John 5:4

Since we are born of God, certainly we can be good and do good when we are in union with Christ

Upvote 0