Is Christianity about being a 'Good' person?

Zao is life

Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Africa
Visit site
✟182,548.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

What do you think about this?

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Have you ever looked in the mirror, and looked deep down inside of yourself?

Are you really a good person? Is this what Christianity is about?
"Is Christianity about being a good person?"

No, Christianity is all about Christ and the fact that He is a good person. The rest of us are sons of Adam and are saved by grace (= not derserved, unmerited, unearned favor and mercy), and we are saved by grace because Jesus bore our sins in His own body and died on the cross because of (our sin), and rose from the dead.

So I agree with your OP. (Romans 7:18-25).

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi you.

In my own life, from someone has told me. Gallagher, you are a good person. In a time that wasn't good at all, only to ease my frustration that was going on during that time period, though we both mutually like and respected each other.

My response at this, at that time, was... that truly I was not a good person, and if you remotely see any good in me it is from the spirit of God with me because I am far from good.

Yes, you are to be good. You are not good to be saved, but you have been saved to be good. So do good! Just don't think you are saved by doing good. You are saved by repentance and faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm the worst person I know. Ashamed of myself every waking moment. Only by doing what Christ tells me to do can I rise above myself and amount to something. But then most ("Christians") and others I know, except my wife, hate me for it. Yikes!!

I don't have to be ashamed or be a bad person because I have been forgiven by Christ, and His Holy Spirit has been poured out into my heart, by whom I live and have the inheritance of the coming Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have to be ashamed or be a bad person because I have been forgiven by Christ, and His Holy Spirit has been poured out into my heart, by whom I live and have the inheritance of the coming Kingdom.
It's the flesh we wrestle against each waking moment. Putrid and disgusting.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm certainly pleased that God sees you differently than you see yourself. If you have died and been born again then you are a good person in God's eyes. Don't let your own opinion or that of others contradict this one immutable fact.
If I have any good, I share God's glory. This is stealing from God. But if I give him credit for any good in me, he gets full glory and I remain in my rightful place.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I have any good, I share God's glory. This is stealing from God. But if I give him credit for any good in me, he gets full glory and I remain in my rightful place.

We are good because we have been born again by the Holy Spirit. It's not stealing from God being good, on opposite, it gives God glory, since it's His work in us that enabled us to be good

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are good because we have been born again by the Holy Spirit. It's not stealing from God being good, on opposite, it gives God glory, since it's His work in us that enabled us to be good
But how can I take credit for something I did not do? It's God's work in me, not mine.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi you.

It's interesting that in your title you put 'Good' in so-called scare quotes. Surely, being Christian is not about simply appearing good. But doesn't being Christian include striving to do what is good and true and right?

Am I a Christian simply by confessing that I am a sinner and in need of grace? Certainly that is part of it, but what is grace if it doesn't transform my heart so that I live more like Christ and it shows in what I actually do?

I don't show I am a follower of Christ by flaunting my sinfulness, but by exhibiting my Christ-likeness. That's what "Christian" means. And if that doesn't reveal goodness in how I live, then what is the point? Am I just trying to get to heaven without trying to live according to the ways of the kingdom? If so, I don't know what that is, but it's not good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christianity seems to be individually subjective. @public hermit

What do you mean? Is it actually individually subjective, or is it that we have lots of opinions that may or may not align with what is actually the case?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@public hermit It truly for me is subjective because of God and his goodness. Freedom is paramount over even being correct for the sake of trying to one up another person based on any knowledge of the bible.

Most certainly no one has authority to use the bible and make demands of YOU MUST THIS, YOU MUST THAT.

So many people out here believe, have problems and struggle. No one can even tell who is saved or not.

With this type of thinking freedom to love others regardless of what position they are in spiritually, or how ever terrible they are in the flesh, we through the spirit are capable love others, by the spirit that God gives.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
@public hermit It truly for me is subjective because of God and his goodness. Freedom is paramount over even being correct for the sake of trying to one up another person based on any knowledge of the bible.

Most certainly no one has authority to use the bible and make demands of YOU MUST THIS, YOU MUST THAT.

So many people out here believe, have problems and struggle. No one can even tell who is saved or not.

With this type of thinking freedom to love others regardless of what position they are in spiritually, or how ever terrible they are in the flesh, we through the spirit are capable love others, by the spirit that God gives.

I see what you're saying, I think. Good thoughts. Love is very generous. :)

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

We're never good enough, because we can always be better, and being better-being just or righteous- is a goal in Christianity-God certainly didn't create us to be sinners after all. And it all comes together more clearly when we identify righteousness as love, meaning that we attain our purpose, the perfection that God has in mind for us, to the extent that we love Him with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. This is not the same as just being a nice guy however, pleasing everyone. In any case:

"Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister." 1 John 3:7-10

But none of this is attainable apart from Him.
"Apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi you.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

John 15:8
This is to My Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, proving yourselves to be My disciples.

1 Peter 2:12
Conduct yourselves with such honor among the Gentiles that, though they slander you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us.

Colossians 1:27
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Galatians 5:22-26
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

John 13:34-35
I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are My disciples: if you have love for one another.”

James 2:8
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.

hope this helps !!!

• Informative
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I've looked deep down inside. And no, I am not a really good person. But God is changing this day by day. By His transforming work, I am not the man I used to be.

Is Christianity about being a good person? If by "good" you mean "moral," then, no, this is not what Christianity is about. Christianity is about knowing, enjoying and glorifying God. Being a holy, Christlike person more and more as time passes is an integral aspect of the Christian life, but being this sort of a person isn't an end in itself but the means to richer, deeper fellowship with God.

When people think a moral life is the primary aim of Christianity, they have become moralistic which is the doorway into legalism and hypocrisy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've looked deep down inside. And no, I am not a really good person. But God is changing this day by day. By His transforming work, I am not the man I used to be.

Is Christianity about being a good person? If by "good" you mean "moral," then, no this is not what Christianity is about. Christianity is about knowing, enjoying and glorifying God. Being a holy, Christlike person more and more as time passes is an integral aspect of the Christian life, but being this sort of a person isn't an end in itself but the means to richer, deeper fellowship with God.

When people think a moral life is the primary aim of Christianity, they have become moralistic which is the doorway into legalism and hypocrisy.
I agree with this, with a qualification maybe :). When a person thinks that love is essential, obligatory even, then they've understood a primary aim of Christianity. And love is never, it cannot be, moralistic, legalistic, or hypocritical-not to the extent that one actually loves-God and neighbor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matthew Parsons

Nov 5, 2020
Charlotte
✟17,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi you.

Are you really a good person? Is this what Christianity is about?[/QUOTE/]

This is a really good question

Upvote 0

nolidad

Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi you.

Hi AGallagher.

To answer your question the short answer is no. A Christian should learn to live a good (read godly) life but being Christian is about glorifying the God who made you and saved you! We are Christian because we have trusted in the death and resurrection of Jesus for our sins and thus made a new creature who is being conformed to the image of jesus day by day.

OUr good ness is a result of being saved and the Holy Spirit and the Word of god taking more and more control of our thinking and living.

• Agree
Upvote 0