Life is Christ
Nov 18, 2004
Visit site
✟23,414.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
To believe is a matter of will. No one has the right to push you into anything you don't want to go into. It all comes out of pure faith. It is normal to question the existence of a supreme being, same as we all question the existence of alien life from other worlds.
When It comes to hard evidence, there isn't anything better than what is written in the Holy Bible. It is our most prized source of information about the Lord and what He can do.

Upvote 0

Star_Pixels

Nov 24, 2004
Around
✟8,082.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Blockwell said:
Is Belief a Choice?

I'd say yes and no. A good example of my theory involves three of my closest friends.

We all believe there is something out there, something beyond our pitiful human lives.

Friend #1 is a very scientific person and has found actual logical proof that falls under science to say there is something more, and therefore has found himself believing firmly in the existence of ghosts and aliens.

Friend #2 found Christianity and thought it was perfect, so therefore has commited her life to believing and following Christ.

Friend #3 has yet to find what she believes in, although she has seen Magick in the works and is leaning towards Wicca.

I chose not to believe what my parents told me, there was just something that wasn't RIGHT about it, and I found something that was right.

So you see: we all had the same pre-determined belief, and yet our personalities and choices led us each in varying directions.

So yes, belief is a choice - you can choose to believe in science or faith. Yes, belief is a choice - you can choose whether or not the Mother Goddess makes more sense than Allah or whatever. And yet, it isn't - you are naturally drawn towards belief that there is something better or there isn't.

Make sense?

In the case of Christianity, though, many Christians believe in fate and that peoples beliefs are decided before they're even born. While this may seem unfair, there are several varying theories that add a new spice to this sentence that may or may not make you feel comfortable.

You can research "fate" for such theories. Calvin is a specific search that might lead you to others.

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Blockwell said:
Is Belief a Choice?
Yup. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but it is a choice, be it conscious or not.

As a non-believer, I am occasionally asked the question, “Why don’t you believe in God?”

I am never quite sure what to say. To be quite honest, I don’t believe in God, because I just don’t. I personally don’t find the evidence credible or convincing, so I just don’t believe in the concept of a personal God.

When I am told that the only chance I have of salvation and eternal life is for me to “believe,” it sounds terribly unfair. I am quite capable of faking belief and telling other people that I do, but I would be dishonest with myself if I said I did, and if God is real, He would know I was lying anyway.

Christianity seems like a loose-loose situation for people like me.

Blockwell
Look into the bible. See its words and realize its truths. Then God will reveal Himself to you if you commit yourself to His word (in obedience).

Upvote 0

de Unamuno

Jan 8, 2004
Denver, Colorado
✟15,602.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Blockwell said:
Someone mentioned their problem with addiction and how God helped him in that regard. I too went through a six-year period back in the late 1980’s where I suffered from cocaine addiction. I have always described my bottom in spiritual terms as that seems the most accurate way to describe it. I lived only for myself and hurt many people. When I decided to turn my life around, I was told that a “higher power” was necessary. Again I tried and tried for any kind of communication, feeling, anything, but I felt nothing. Finally I just gave up and decided they were wrong. I refused to give up on myself and envisioned the life I wanted to get me over this hurdle. It worked, as I have been clean for over 15 years.

Once my addiction was behind me, I did not stop there. I began to envision a life that was fulfilling in many ways. I wanted to become a better person, by doing more for others and listening to what the needs of others were. In a way it was a spiritual quest. I found the more I respected the needs of others, the more that came to me; both in terms of the material and the emotional.

Not to be glib, but when you 1) recognize and battle addiction, 2) do selfless acts for others, 3) take sincere interest in the hearts of others, and 4) realize a better life by doing those things, then you enjoy about 90% of what a Christian "feels" about God (though many Christians, admittedly, haven't gotten as far as you).

A Christian would argue that, at the most fundamental level, God gave us a perfect nature, one that is utterly selfless and "other centric" being also contrary to a self-interested, animal nature. If God proscribes it, then by living according to your benevolent nature, you should (in theory) live a materially better life. You should be happier, at the level of the soul, and it is that spiritual happiness that the Christian God promises. In practice, that is what happens!

So, I would say that you've tapped into your "true nature" without even realizing it, and that THAT is how you experience the Christian God.

So, given you already aknowledged the existance of a higher power (albeit impersonal), if you strip off all the extra stuff (some good, some unnecessary) that fallible Christians say about God (e.g. hell, heaven, salvation, etc), then it seems that even you are left with a God that is anything but impersonal. That is, he created you with a purpose: to be good and to act benevolently.

Would you agree with any of this? If so, why did He give us this benevolent nature at all? What other god, if not the Christian flavor, has been claimed to do the same thing? If we indeed have this good-naturedness, what happens to us when we do not live according to it? If we continue to live against it in life? If an afterlife exists, what happens if that anti-nature continues in death?

I'm bringing these questions up not to be argumentative, but to show that the doctrines of heaven, hell, salvation etc are not unnecessary, but rather honest attempts at exploring the implications of our natures, of God and of that god's divine morality. Some are valid, others are not. But if you throw out the possibility of the Christian God based on the collective mass of what Christiandom has ever concocted, then you're committing the most blatant form of intellectually dishonesty.

Anyway, I'm also sincerely curious if you've got a working theory/picture/worldview of exactly what it is you believe, how the world works, or the participation of a divine being in that world (if any)? Do you subscribe to more of a Buddhist or Hindu philosophy... something more exotic, or perhaps something of your own invention?

Cheers,

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a person cries out for help to believe in God, it just goes to show how sinister Satan is.

The love of the world is blinding these people, and they are just not ready to give up whatever wordly (or carnal) thing that is holding them back.

Upvote 0

MinDach

Dec 23, 2003
USA
✟888.00
Faith
Christian
You can believe or not, thats your choice.
Noah starting building the Ark 120 years before the flood, and he build it 200 miles from the nearest water, people would by and tell this man he was crasy, and he would tell them a flood was coming, but they would not listen.
This is what you have today, Christians people telling people we are living in the last days, and to find Christ when there is still time.
Faith comes by hearing the word of God.
I know many people do not Like or want the word of God heard or Spoken, you see it all over the forums, new papers, TV. I believe if God had left out the part about Hell in the bible, then most people would have no trouble believing. Oh yes about mankind having Sin is a big one for them too. We are told to tell you, that it. If we see someone in need we are to help.
We will not be here forever saying the same things over & over again. It will all come to a end just like it did in Noah's day.
I do hope you Find Christ.

Upvote 0

canarysong

Jan 9, 2005
✟123.00
Faith
Agnostic
xjonx said:
Hi,

I just want to reenforce something on my heart:

Guys, creations of the Most High God, GOD IS THE HOLY GOD, THE ALMIGHTY ALL POWERFUL MAGNIFICENT POWER, HE IS BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL, HE LOVES ETERNALLY, HE DESIRES FOR HIS CREATIONS TO SPEND THE REST OF ETERNITY IN HIS PRESENCE, TO LIVE IN PEACE AND HARMONY, TO CAST ALL DOUBT AND FEAR TO DEPTHS OF THE SEA, HE INVITES ALL PEOPLE TO WORSHIP HIM THAT LOVE MAY CONTINUE TO FLOW AND THAT WE MAY LIVE IN PEACE, when the pain and destruction we cause on ourselves gets too much for Him to see, He will put an end to it all and in His righteousness He will give some eternal life and let the others sleep. GOD HATES PAIN AND LOVES LOVE, HE IS LOVE, HE IS MIGHTY!!!! PRAISE HIM ALL PEOPLE!!! Lord come... touch lives.... blessed Saviour... healer, comforter.. come
Why are there so many dead children then, babies from a few weeks old, to teenagers, from this tsunami? Please help me by explaining...I 'm lost.

Upvote 0

de Unamuno

Jan 8, 2004
Denver, Colorado
✟15,602.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
canarysong said:
Why are there so many dead children then, babies from a few weeks old, to teenagers, from this tsunami? Please help me by explaining...I 'm lost.

Your question starts with a false premise, really a strawman argument that any first year college professor will help to perpetuate; that if God is perfect goodness and totally omnipotent, then how can there be suffering?

The Christian God is both of the above, but the false premise comes in assuming his goal is to eliminate suffering. Rather a truly good and just God would want to maximize the number of souls that get to know and love him, and thereby reach ultimate salvation. This goal is hindered by the fact that we have 1) free will and 2) are part of a physical universe through which we interact and come to know ourselves, other individuals and, ultimately, God. God, without losing omnipotence, self-imposes some restrictions on himself to allow for both.

I have a number of Christian friends who are going to Asia to help with the emotional and spiritual cleanup. Even with such a costly loss of life, how many more lives will be touched by God that never would have been otherwise?

Regards,

Upvote 0

ysl_75

Love Changes Everything
Dec 13, 2004
~KL~Malaysia
✟56,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got no commend on your choice whether to believed God or not. But one thing I know for sure if one day you are having difficulties or any problem you can't solved, please seek for God I am sure that He will help you. God loves everyone whether you are Christians or you are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.