Is Belief a Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blockwell

Is Belief a Choice?

As a non-believer, I am occasionally asked the question, “Why don’t you believe in God?”

I am never quite sure what to say. To be quite honest, I don’t believe in God, because I just don’t. I personally don’t find the evidence credible or convincing, so I just don’t believe in the concept of a personal God.

When I am told that the only chance I have of salvation and eternal life is for me to “believe,” it sounds terribly unfair. I am quite capable of faking belief and telling other people that I do, but I would be dishonest with myself if I said I did, and if God is real, He would know I was lying anyway.

Christianity seems like a loose-loose situation for people like me.

Blockwell

May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, you say you have found no evidence for God, so what have you found against Him?

I would advise reading the Gospel of St. John, and if you don't have a Bible you can find it online for free :)

If you have any questions, let me know :hug:

Upvote 0

livechange

Nov 9, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realize you don't believe in God, I'm assuming therefore that you believe the Bible to be false. Nevertheless, I believe in the verse "seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you." I believe God will never turn down someone seeking his light. I really and truely find this to be true.
You're right, you can't believe, if you don't really believe. Personally, I don't believe in blind faith. Doubting Thomas seemed to have the same problems I do. From the sound of it, I've had the same problems you're facing. The only answers can be found from searching.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Bizzlebin Imperatoris said:
Well, you say you have found no evidence for God, so what have you found against Him?
Yes, but in a way, the burden of proof is on the believer. If I'm not sure whether God exists or not (and I'm an agnostic, so I'm not sure), I can look around and say "Nope, I don't see God here.".

So, if someone says that God exists, they need to try to back it up somehow.

Upvote 0

xjonx

Nov 9, 2004
Newcastle
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Blockwell,

Great question! Awesome. I believe. I chose to believe. I guess there are three basic choices, God is, God isn't, and God maybe.

I think you are right, it is as simple as taking the leap. There are facts which seem to the Christian amazingly blatantly obvious that God is real, but these can always be argued away by those who CHOOSE not to believe in Him.

You are right, faith is a choice, part of the choice is asking God to give us faith, cause even faith is a gift. We can't even believe in God properly anymore because of the lies we have been born into. It's not our fault directly, but it is our fault in that we are humanity. Humanity has decided to turn against God and so we reap the consequences. Humanities choice to sin causes you to find it hard to believe in God. But pray, He is real, He is God, He is there, and yes it is a choice.

Jesus came from heaven to earth to die so that we might live. He is the most influential 'man' to have ever walked the earth. Why? Because He was perfect, the Son of God. We don't have to be perfect, He lived the perfect life for us! Amen.
xjonx

Upvote 0

xjonx

Nov 9, 2004
Newcastle
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I just want to reenforce something on my heart:

Guys, creations of the Most High God, GOD IS THE HOLY GOD, THE ALMIGHTY ALL POWERFUL MAGNIFICENT POWER, HE IS BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL, HE LOVES ETERNALLY, HE DESIRES FOR HIS CREATIONS TO SPEND THE REST OF ETERNITY IN HIS PRESENCE, TO LIVE IN PEACE AND HARMONY, TO CAST ALL DOUBT AND FEAR TO DEPTHS OF THE SEA, HE INVITES ALL PEOPLE TO WORSHIP HIM THAT LOVE MAY CONTINUE TO FLOW AND THAT WE MAY LIVE IN PEACE, when the pain and destruction we cause on ourselves gets too much for Him to see, He will put an end to it all and in His righteousness He will give some eternal life and let the others sleep. GOD HATES PAIN AND LOVES LOVE, HE IS LOVE, HE IS MIGHTY!!!! PRAISE HIM ALL PEOPLE!!! Lord come... touch lives.... blessed Saviour... healer, comforter.. come

Upvote 0
B

Blockwell

Thank you all for your replies, I was not quite sure what to expect. I think the replies can be broken down to these major points.

1) It is not unreasonable to believe in something if you have no proof of its non-existence:

This statement was already discussed and I don’t want to belabor the point. I don’t believe those who use this statement actually base their faith on this supposition (At least I hope not) but tend to use it on unbelievers when they can’t think of anything else. If this were reasonable then we would all find it reasonable to believe in just about any outrageous claim made by anyone.

2) Taking a leap of faith or Faith is a choice

To be honest, I am not totally sure if this works. When I professed to be a Christian (for two years) this is the term I used when I explained my conversion. Although I still had major doubts as to the believability of Christian doctrine, I told people who questioned me that it was a “Leap of Faith” on my part. At least for me anyway this meant that I was willing to put aside my doubts and chose to have faith that Christianity was indeed true. However, the “leap” I took never resulted in me landing anywhere I could stand with confidence. Eventually I found the only solid surface I could navigate with confidence was labeled “I don’t know.”

3) Seek and you shall find

It is very true that those who do look for something are more likely to find it than those who don’t, but the statement is “loaded” when the speaker already has in mind what the seeker should be looking for, or that there is even a need to find anything at all. The “need” I initially felt to become a Christian (to seek Christ) was not instilled from within, but from without.

4) Ask God to give you faith

Ah, the proverbial cart before the horse. I tried this one too. If I looked you in face and told you that I prayed with complete sincerity for years for this to happen and yet heard or felt nothing at all, what would be your reply? Believers are left with the only option of denying my sincerity.

So here I am, 44 years old and have never heard or felt anything in my life that would bring me to believe anything outside of the physical world I find myself in. The connection the majority of people claim they have with the supernatural still eludes me. Everyone describes this connection differently and everyone seems to be getting different answers from God. My rational mind cannot help but suppose that God is in the eye (and between the ears) of the beholder.

Upvote 0

de Unamuno

Jan 8, 2004
Denver, Colorado
✟15,602.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Blockwell, what's shakin'?

I was born and raised atheist for 26 years. I became a Christian a little over a year ago, and became a Catholic Christian this last Easter. My screen name comes from Miguel de Unamuno, a famous Spanish writer, philosopher and theologian, who wrestled with his faith and with God for his entire life.

Blockwell said:
Thank you all for your replies, I was not quite sure what to expect. I think the replies can be broken down to these major points.

It is not unreasonable to believe in something if you have no proof of its non-existence:

This statement was already discussed and I don’t want to belabor the point. I don’t believe those who use this statement actually base their faith on this supposition (At least I hope not) but tend to use it on unbelievers when they can’t think of anything else. If this were reasonable then we would all find it reasonable to believe in just about any outrageous claim made by anyone. [/font][/size]

I think the idea is that most atheists want to disprove God. I think we can all agree this is not possible. As an atheist for my whole life, I convinced myself that God was not possible. In fact, I still believe that the Creationist's God really isn't possible. I have since found that God, in a more reality-based sense, very much is possible, but a definitive conclusion is never provable either way. So the above statement by itself doesn't have much rational value, but in the context of the larger search for God, it has merit in opening at least the possibility of God existing. It's just the first baby step in that search, and should be valued no more and no less.

Blockwell said:
Taking a leap of faith or Faith is a choice

To be honest, I am not totally sure if this works. When I professed to be a Christian (for two years) this is the term I used when I explained my conversion. Although I still had major doubts as to the believability of Christian doctrine, I told people who questioned me that it was a “Leap of Faith” on my part. At least for me anyway this meant that I was willing to put aside my doubts and chose to have faith that Christianity was indeed true. However, the “leap” I took never resulted in me landing anywhere I could stand with confidence. Eventually I found the only solid surface I could navigate with confidence was labeled “I don’t know

Saying "Christian doctrine" can mean a lot of things. Once-Saved-Always-Saved, Predestination & Calvinism, Charismatic Movement & Tongues, Church History & Early Church Fathers... all of these and more can be found in the huge world of "All Things Christian", but they are often contradicting, logically unsound, or just plain scary. What is your faith/theological background? OK, and don't tell me "I looked into everything" because in two years you can't fully appreciate even one faith, let alone the differences between all of the faiths. Surely your indoctrination was through something specific?

I'm only asking because I also ran away from non-reason-based, Bible-thumping Christianity, where God could only be known through "blind faith" and the Bible. I thought that all Christians were like that, not realizing I was only exposed to the outspoken "Evangelicals". (not meant to be a slam on my Evangelical brethren). Christianity is much older and rooted in philosophy than even many Christians know. Heck, it even pre-dates Christ!

The greatest philosophers in history, including Aristotle, Socrates and Plato, have all contributed to the deep, reason-based philosophy and theology of Christian thought (by way of Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, C.S. Lews, G.K. Chesterton and other great Christian minds). Arguing that reason and logic should be thrown out of the search for God is a ridiculous claim made by people who are too scared or too ignorant to test their faith with reason. Don't be afraid to dig in and ask those people who asked the same questions a thousand years ago.

Blackwell said:
Seek and you shall find

It is very true that those who do look for something are more likely to find it than those who don’t, but the statement is “loaded” when the speaker already has in mind what the seeker should be looking for, or that there is even a need to find anything at all. The “need” I initially felt to become a Christian (to seek Christ) was not instilled from within, but from without.

Actually, you are right on. Christianity's basic tenet is that you cannot start the search from within. Although we are all aware of God within us (consciously or not), we are unable to move to search for him because of our natures. The search has to start from outside of you, which is how Jesus and the Apostles originally spread the news. If Christianity is right, then we all need someone to show us the target, first, and then we can answer whether it is truth or not. The same can be said of Buddhism, Islam, or even (maybe even especially) atheism.

Blockwell said:
Ask God to give you faith

Ah, the proverbial cart before the horse. I tried this one too. If I looked you in face and told you that I prayed with complete sincerity for years for this to happen and yet heard or felt nothing at all, what would be your reply? Believers are left with the only option of denying my sincerity

I don't deny your sincerity, certainly. You prayed, sat in silence, and strained to hear His voice but nothing came. I've been there, too, until I finally gave up on the whole "conversation over tea", and instead talk to and feel God through what I do. That is, how I live my life.

Yes, I still pray a lot, but I feel God through recognition and confronting of my addictions, through helping others, through loving those that don't deserve anyone's love, through confessing my heart to others, through falling on my knees and submitting my will to another, by pursuing my own heart and the hearts of others, by disowning my posessions, or by exercising courage when others would run away.

The feeling you were looking for from God is a feeling you would get from something in this world like good music, or the love you share with your Dad or a beautiful girl... and you'll never find it that way. I found Him by changing the way I live, and only then has he resounded back with a hurricane of emotion and messages. I live against the nature of my former rationalism and relativism, and instead live according to the Natural Law, written the whole time on my heart, that only Christianity has been able to show me.

Blockwell said:
So here I am, 44 years old and have never heard or felt anything in my life that would bring me to believe anything outside of the physical world I find myself in. The connection the majority of people claim they have with the supernatural still eludes me. Everyone describes this connection differently and everyone seems to be getting different answers from God. My rational mind cannot help but suppose that God is in the eye (and between the ears) of the beholder.

My advice, stop listening the the "fire and brimstone" crazies, and look for real life in this world. If you look for that, and if you let Christianity show you where you should look, and read a lot of those holy guys that I mentioned above, then I think you might just find that heart of God that has eluded you.

Good posts, BTW!

-jerrod

Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
When I am told that the only chance I have of salvation and eternal life is for me to “believe,” it sounds terribly unfair. I am quite capable of faking belief and telling other people that I do, but I would be dishonest with myself if I said I did, and if God is real, He would know I was lying anyway.

Note:-Just replacing this post after it accidently got deleted.

I agree. :)

It's not much use faking belief. If God is going to call you to faith, you will know. Do you feel any urge to know about God? If your going to make any decision I think you have to be moved to make it through something other than fear. I've never been a big believer in the 'turn or burn' method of bringing people to Christ. Work out the question using some reason to determine your faith. There is more to christianity than first meets the eye. If your interested you should read something that gives you a complete picture of the whole gamut of christianity. Better yet, pick up a Bible and read the New Testament and see if it moves you to belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

I often think that different parts of christianity attract different types of people. For a person like yourself, I think that the world of the traditional churches is where you will find better answers. Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Anglican to name the main ones of the top of my head. These faiths are very much reason based and immersing yourself in the wealth of knowledge that resides in these groups is most likely going to be the most satisfying way for you to seek answers. I have a Protestant background myself and find myself searching for the similar answers myself, but in the context of belief rather than disbelief, which is your case. I'm often drawn to the reasoned faith of the traditional churches for some assistance in my own personal journey, but still drawn to the emotianalism of the churches that first inspired my faith. I like the best of both worlds, which makes me somewhat of a christian wayfarer at the moment. There is much to explore and it's a fascinating journey.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Blockwell said:
3) Seek and you shall find

4) Ask God to give you faith

Ah, the proverbial cart before the horse. I tried this one too. If I looked you in face and told you that I prayed with complete sincerity for years for this to happen and yet heard or felt nothing at all, what would be your reply? Believers are left with the only option of denying my sincerity.
Everyone has a conscience from God, so everyone has something withing. You just have to find it, and work from there.

My reply is this: What did you do? You prayed, of course, but did you physically get out and seek? Maybe God thinks you are ready to go out on your own, and is, in fact, waiting for you.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Illuminatus said:
Yes, but in a way, the burden of proof is on the believer. If I'm not sure whether God exists or not (and I'm an agnostic, so I'm not sure), I can look around and say "Nope, I don't see God here.".

So, if someone says that God exists, they need to try to back it up somehow.
I agree. But oftentimes, it is a certain thing, or things, that cause a person not to believe. Until these are resolved, no amount of evidence will convince a person otherwise. This is what I was looking for

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My friend...I chose to believe. It's something that you really have to feel. I can't say that it is anything more than some facts and some faith and some God-push mixed together. I really don't completely understand it...but that's how I feel.

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟17,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry if I babble in this post... I just want to share my (tiny) experience with you, because I can completely relate to your post. I’m not experienced with being a Christian, or believing in God, but I am experienced in my situation, so I just wanted to share this with you, not sure if it’ll be any help.

I understand how you feel. I understand that you feel it isn't fair because there's nothing you can DO to make yourself believe, because belief seems more of a conclusion that comes from outside influences, like from something that you see or hear, not just telling yourself, "I believe”. So how can you possibly CHOOSE to be saved, if you feel like you can't CHOOSE to believe?

The question of God grew inside me, mainly because of Christians teaching me what they believe. I felt really frustrated and annoyed at first, and couldn't really handle talking about God for longer than 10 minutes. The main reason for the frustration was that people who believed in God would tell me, "You need to believe in God to be saved from hell", and I'd be thinking, "HOW CAN I POSSIBLY SAVE MYSELF FROM HELL, IF I CAN'T MAKE MYSELF BELIEVE?! YOU CAN'T *CONTROL* YOUR OWN BELIEFS LIKE THAT" etc etc. I'm still not a Christian, but I feel that I'm a bit further along from where I started.

Praying is the main thing that’s helped me. I started out by praying to "whoever was listening", and telling them my thoughts about God and religion. After a little time, I was directing my prayers to the “God” that people told me about, then after more time, I wasn't just telling God my problems, and asking questions, I was thanking him when I noticed things that I appreciate about my life too. I think that’s what helped me think of God as something more real... I think of him as everything that’s good in life... and I think of him as the giver of everything good that I receive. Even though things go wrong in my life, sometimes I feel like good things happen to me, and most of the time, I don’t feel like *I* control those things, it seems they come my way. So, I think that God gives me those things. Christians told me that God is love, and the good side of life, so I can’t help God popping into my head when I experience love and anything else that I appreciate in my daily life.

I feel that God is more than just the positive aspect of life though. “Love” or “Good force” seemed kind of vague and disconnected to me, so I kept praying in hope to directly “feel” and understand God, rather than just think of him as a good... thing... if that makes sense. By praying, I've had a few little signs that maybe something was really listening, something that actually understands my words and can speak back to me... the signs weren’t extreme, but they were enough to make me think, maybe it could be God, maybe he’s listening, and communicating with me. I’d just notice something little, something random, which seemed to relate to what I’d prayed about, stuff like that. That kind of experience made me feel that God is more than just “the good side of life”... it makes me feel that he can understand what we say, and we can understand what he says if we work on it. I’m trying to learn God’s language, because it’s definitely not the same as hearing a physical human voice speaking to you.

You can't choose to flick a switch RIGHT NOW and believe, well usually people can't... but you can choose to pray, and choose to keep praying, even if it seems pointless. You can choose to involve yourself with Christians, you can choose to learn about God, you can choose to try and live like Jesus did. Just doing things like that, in a way, is choosing to believe, because these smaller things can lead to believing and being closer to God. Understanding the entire thing doesn’t happen overnight, it can take years or decades going by other peoples experiences. I have SUCH a long way to go and I regularly doubt that I will figure out my beliefs, but I think if you keep trying, you’ll end up at a better place. Christians, and the bible, will be able to help you with a lot of things, but I think we need to pray to understand everything. It can take such a long time to be able to understand any of it... I'm not much help, but all I can really tell you is to not give up, even if you've been waiting a long time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

Blockwell

Again, I want to thank you all for such heartfelt replies. I especially want to thank Observer for explaining things so thoroughly and in such detail.

While all you have made it clear how your connection with God has improved your life and gives you sense of purpose and meaning, I still can’t but feel that most convincing arguments made are for deism rather than the Christian concept of God. Believing that a Creator exists and is concerned with your life is not the same thing as believing in the God of the Bible. I have never rejected the possibility of a Creator, it is the belief in Christianity that eludes me.

Someone mentioned their problem with addiction and how God helped him in that regard. I too went through a six-year period back in the late 1980’s where I suffered from cocaine addiction. I have always described my bottom in spiritual terms as that seems the most accurate way to describe it. I lived only for myself and hurt many people. When I decided to turn my life around, I was told that a “higher power” was necessary. Again I tried and tried for any kind of communication, feeling, anything, but I felt nothing. Finally I just gave up and decided they were wrong. I refused to give up on myself and envisioned the life I wanted to get me over this hurdle. It worked, as I have been clean for over 15 years.

Once my addiction was behind me, I did not stop there. I began to envision a life that was fulfilling in many ways. I wanted to become a better person, by doing more for others and listening to what the needs of others were. In a way it was a spiritual quest. I found the more I respected the needs of others, the more that came to me; both in terms of the material and the emotional.

I began to read a great deal too. The more I learned about the religions of the world, the more the idea of a personal God seemed remote and unnecessary. I grew up in culture immersed in having faith in what I have come to believe as the unknowable. I taught myself to step back and view the world anew as if I had no preconceptions. When I did this the whole Christian concepts of sin, salvation, redemption, sacrifices, evil, heaven and especially hell became absurd concepts for an omnipotent creator. I don’t think I can go back and undo this.

It still seems reasonable to me that if the Christian God is real and I do in fact have to believe in His plan of salvation to avoid whatever concept of hell you may believe, then He needs to a more convincing job of proving himself to people like me. I am done trying. He had his chance.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Blockwell said:
It still seems reasonable to me that if the Christian God is real and I do in fact have to believe in His plan of salvation to avoid whatever concept of hell you may believe, then He needs to a more convincing job of proving himself to people like me. I am done trying. He had his chance.
[blunt]
I guess my question is, why does the most powerful being in the universe have to prove Himself to you? What does He owe you? He lead you here, he allowed you to survive your addictions, what do you deserve to ask of Him? And yet this "distant" God came down and died a horrible death for you. So you could be saved. Can you not trust Him because your mind says something different? It wasn't until I let go of my own self that Christ could live in me.
[/blunt]

Upvote 0

xjonx

Nov 9, 2004
Newcastle
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It really is this simple,

1. Humanity turned against God (sin)
2. Turning against God consequently lead to death (God is life, turning from Him is death)
3. Jesus was sent in a rescue mission and died even though He didn't have to, He died in our place!
4. If we admit we are diseased (it really is obvious, go to an old people's home and see the consequential decay sin has on our bodies) and cry "JESUS I NEED YOU, I AM DYING AND CONFUSED, HEEELLLPPP!!!"... God forgives the repentant, God forgives and gives us the Holy Spirit as a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance to come!! Heaven!!!! every good thing experienced on earth is but a foretaste of the amazing life to come... God is for us, He loves us, He has outstretched arms and can give us purpose and an abundant life.

I imagine a worried child asking their parents "God, why this? God why that? God when this happens why doesn't this happen? Why why why why when when when..."

and the Father leans down and picks up the child in His arms "shhhh, it's okay, I love you, be still, be still, shhhh, be still and know that I am God, shhhhh, it's okay, shush, calm, shhhh, I love you my child, I will always love you"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.