Iowa Republicans want to ban SNAP recipients from buying meat, white bread, and American cheese

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here’s an opportunity for you to repent for lying about me repeatedly.

It has not been shown that I've lied. State your position regarding government aid for the poor in clear and unambiguous terms, and if needed, I will admit I was wrong.

You need to be careful. I said your comments indicate you begrudge government aid to the poor. You claim I'm wrong in thinking that is true, and yet you have refused to state your position. Before you claim I am lying, implying that I am someone who would purposely misrepresent the truth, you need to state your position. I made a claim about your position on this issue. You are coming very close to making a claim about my character.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here you go.

You haven’t provided the quotes that prove this.

Feel free to share your position anytime. I'll graciously let it pass that you've implied I'm a liar.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand why .gov thinks it has to control what people spend their food benefit money on. They can control the amount of the benefit if they like, but beyond that allow recipients to make the same choices the rest of us get to make. Quit thinking you know what is best for us.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to share your position anytime. I'll graciously let it pass that you've implied I'm a liar.
I’m not graciously letting it pass that you’ve made a false accusation against me. You claim to be a brother in Christ. You need to repent.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand why .gov thinks it has to control what people spend their food benefit money on. They can control the amount of the benefit if they like, but beyond that allow recipients to make the same choices the rest of us get to make. Quit thinking you know what is best for us.
If the money is to help people who need it, I think it’s beneficial to make sure that it’s not spent on things that won’t ultimately help. Some folks see the free money as a bonus, and they spend it on frivolous things. Not only have I seen it personally, I benefited from them in one of my past jobs.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the money is to help people who need it, I think it’s beneficial to make sure that it’s not spent on things that won’t ultimately help.

So meat, white bread, and American cheese won't help if I am hungry?

I worked in the Food Stamp program very early in my career. In those days, you couldn't buy toilet paper, shampoo, alcohol , and the like with Food Stamps because they were not food. That I get. Plus, in its original iteration the program had a two-fold goal of (a) helping farmers by (b) feeding the hungry. Food Stamps and its current iteration of SNAP are programs of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (not Health and Human Services.). Telling people what food they can eat is just Nanny-state over-reach.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I worked in the Food Stamp program very early in my career. In those days, you couldn't buy toilet paper, shampoo, alcohol , and the like with Food Stamps because they were not food. That I get. Plus, in its original iteration the program had a two-fold goal of (a) helping farmers by (b) feeding the hungry. Food Stamps and its current iteration of SNAP are programs of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Telling people what food they can eat is just Nanny-state over-reach.

People can still buy those things if they want.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal

This is what happens however ANYTIME you are given taxpayer funds. Banks, states, cities, people and all businesses get to control what you do and how you spend your money when your neighbors give youoneybthrough the government.

That's how it works. Why complain about it? It's how everyone has to deal with it.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal

I worked in the Food Stamp program very early in my career. In those days, you couldn't buy toilet paper, shampoo, alcohol , and the like with Food Stamps because they were not food. That I get. Plus, in its original iteration the program had a two-fold goal of (a) helping farmers by (b) feeding the hungry. Food Stamps and its current iteration of SNAP are programs of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (not Health and Human Services.). Telling people what food they can eat is just Nanny-state over-reach.

Nah,. It's not your money. Government gets to tell you how to spend it when you ask them for it. The money doesn't belong to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If it has no restrictions, why are some articles saying it does?
The bill restricts using SNAP to buy meat, etc. It doesn’t restrict SNAP users from buying meat with their own money, however.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I see a lot of people use SNAP benefits very foolishly, or very irresponsibly a lot where I live, etc, but some kind of reward system based on cost per calorie limits, or something similar to that maybe, with maybe some few exceptions maybe,

There’s not really any effective ways to filter “healthy” or “responsible” foods like this without whitelisting them the way that WIC does. There are so many variables that any manageable combination of them would wind up allowing a bunch of stuff you don’t want and prohibiting a bunch of stuff you want to permit. Your example, cost per calorie, would let through a bunch of high fat store brand baked goods while prohibiting low calorie vegetables.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There’s not really any effective ways to filter “healthy” or “responsible” foods like this without whitelisting them the way that WIC does. There are so many variables that any manageable combination of them would wind up allowing a bunch of stuff you don’t want and prohibiting a bunch of stuff you want to permit. Your example, cost per calorie, would let through a bunch of high fat store brand baked goods while prohibiting low calorie vegetables.
You are probably right, and cost per calorie was probably a bad example, I guess I just don't understand why some people won't handle their benefits like it was their own, very limited, own cash money I guess, it's kind of frustrating, and there probably is no real way to correct, or maybe even encourage, responsible behavior, etc, and in that you are probably correct as well, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

David Collins

Oct 26, 2022
Jacksonville
✟6,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Glad to see some people becoming angry at the idea that someone was trying to get the government to stop people from buying meat. Perhaps PETA has been lobbying Iowa Republicans? The newly formed Vegan Republican Caucus?
This reminds me of the WEF trying to get people to eat bugs. Humans are meant to eat meat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This reminds me of the WEF trying to get people to eat bugs. Humans are meant to eat meat.
Humans are omnivores. Lots of cultures eat insects and they’re slowly becoming more popular in the west as an alternative source of protein. The organic grocery store near my house has sold edible insects and insect powders for several years.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

David Collins

Oct 26, 2022
Jacksonville
✟6,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Humans are omnivores. Lots of cultures eat insects and they’re slowly becoming more popular in the west as an alternative source of protein. The organic grocery store near my house has sold edible insects and insect powders for several years.
Humans are omnivores, and omnivores eat meat.

Insects are not meant to be consumed by humans.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Eat a lot of bugs? What kind and how flavorful are they? What your favorites?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Eat a lot of bugs? What kind and how flavorful are they? What your favorites?
I don’t recall having ever tried them, but I know they’re not uncommon in southeast asia and probably africa, too. A friend of mine ate a very large spider in asia.

The grocery store near me has stuff that more like crickets and cricket powder.

Upvote 0