Iowa Republicans want to ban SNAP recipients from buying meat, white bread, and American cheese

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟604,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Iowa Republicans proposed a bill that would drastically limit what foods SNAP recipients can buy.
  • People wouldn't be able to buy grocery staples like white bread, American cheese, fresh meat, and more.
  • Critics argue the bill would further burden low-income people who are already food-insecure.
Iowa Republicans are proposing sweeping changes to the state's food assistance program — including banning beneficiaries from buying grocery staples like meat, American cheese, or flour.

A bill co-sponsored by 39 Republican state legislators would limit those getting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to buying food on a more restrictive list from a separate program intended for pregnant women and children.

SNAP recipients wouldn't be able to buy a variety of foods, including white grain bread, buns with added nuts or seeds, white rice, pasta sauce, canned fruits or soups, baked beans, cheese slices, butter, or flour.

They would instead be limited to foods approved for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program.

The foods people can purchase in the WIC program are much more restrictive than those allowed in SNAP. That's because WIC is designed to complement SNAP, and is meant to provide necessary nutrition specifically for — as the name suggests — pregnant women, new mothers, and infants, according to Michelle Book, the president and CEO of Food Bank of Iowa.

Story continues @Link below.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟604,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This isn't the first time this or something similar has been proposed in a state, just the most recent. There was a bill years ago that wanted to limit beans to one lb bags, even if bulk was cheaper. Only mild cheddar cheese, no sharp or medium. No shredded cheese, only cheese blocks. No spices, no condiments. No low sodium, or gluten free items. Usually they prop up when there has been rhetoric around "takers vs makers" or getting people off the government teat, and I haven't seen any of that type of activity recently.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟604,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess they can't have more than one vehicle. So if you and your family come upon hard times in Iowa, I guess you have to sell one of your cars.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,183.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't understand the reasoning, and very restrictive product lists could especially hurt immigrant families who might need those items to create the dishes their families are used to (and which are often economical, too--pasta and rice dishes, tortillas, etc.)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Iowa Republicans proposed a bill that would drastically limit what foods SNAP recipients can buy.
  • People wouldn't be able to buy grocery staples like white bread, American cheese, fresh meat, and more.
  • Critics argue the bill would further burden low-income people who are already food-insecure.
Iowa Republicans are proposing sweeping changes to the state's food assistance program — including banning beneficiaries from buying grocery staples like meat, American cheese, or flour.

A bill co-sponsored by 39 Republican state legislators would limit those getting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to buying food on a more restrictive list from a separate program intended for pregnant women and children.

SNAP recipients wouldn't be able to buy a variety of foods, including white grain bread, buns with added nuts or seeds, white rice, pasta sauce, canned fruits or soups, baked beans, cheese slices, butter, or flour.

They would instead be limited to foods approved for the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program.

The foods people can purchase in the WIC program are much more restrictive than those allowed in SNAP. That's because WIC is designed to complement SNAP, and is meant to provide necessary nutrition specifically for — as the name suggests — pregnant women, new mothers, and infants, according to Michelle Book, the president and CEO of Food Bank of Iowa.

It doesn’t say that they are banned from buying these items.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn’t say that they are banned from buying these items.
Right. They can use the money that they’ve saved buying “approved of” foods to purchase these items.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I am with banning candy, chips, and soda but meat? We need to feed our children lean meant whenever possible to maintain healthy protein levels. Heck, I can see banning hotdogs and chicken nuggets but not a chuck roast that can feed 5 people.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Nice to see the Luddites getting in on the act!

2. A point-of-sale terminal which is used only for purchases
22from a retailer by electronic benefits transfer utilizing
23electronic funds transfer systems is not a satellite terminal
24as defined in section 527.2.

[SOURCE]

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I am with banning candy, chips, and soda but meat? We need to feed our children lean meant whenever possible to maintain healthy protein levels. Heck, I can see banning hotdogs and chicken nuggets but not a chuck roast that can feed 5 people.
It seeems like the bill is “we don’t want people to ‘cheat’ to get these necessary (for SOME people for as short a time as possible) benefits so take a day off of work to make sure you’re not just going to get money out of us without really needing it,” coupled with “you can’t use certain telephony” for transactions (and not because the chairman’s rival owns a lot of satellites, nosireebob!), and a healthy dose of “you food companies ‘playball’ and we’ll let you have access to our Citizens’ SNAP benefits!”

Interesting times, to be sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

The GOP nanny state is government over reach writ large. Republicans need to stop interfering with how people live their lives.

I forget who said it (probably some one modern Republicans would hate) but Republicans really need to remember the words “The top 9 most terrifying words in the English Language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.”

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't understand the reasoning,
Yeah, you do. The GOP hate poor people. But they need to keep building an underclass. If they can help some people think other people are worse off than them you get them to vote for you.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The GOP nanny state is government over reach writ large. Republicans need to stop interfering with how people live their lives.

I forget who said it (probably some one modern Republicans would hate) but Republicans really need to remember the words “The top 9 most terrifying words in the English Language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.”
They’re not trying to make government helpful. They’re trying to break it. Grover Norquist famously said, “I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." It’s clear he’s not the only Republican who shares that sentiment.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find" the page doesn't exist" when I try the link at the bottom.

Upvote 0