Iowa Republicans want to ban SNAP recipients from buying meat, white bread, and American cheese

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Correct. The supervisors over the supervisors, all admitted, even documented, it was/is set up to provide LESS THAN fifty percent of what is needed to live. Fifty percent or less "subsistence", and the recipients are left to fend for themselves for daily needs.

What doesn't make sense is that wheat flour isn't particularly expensive. The only way this could be rationalized is intentional cruelty.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, it’s SUPPLEMENTAL. It’s right in the name.

If people could afford food of their own resources, they wouldn't apply for SNAP in the first place. Because I can tell you as a SNAP recipient, it wouldn't be worth the time or the hassle.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What were you talking about then. Cause usually when leftists talk about reproductive healthcare that's what they mean. So what did you mean and we can move on.
No, no, you’ve made your point.

Helping people feed their families isn’t “government’s job”.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If people could afford food of their own resources, they wouldn't apply for SNAP in the first place. Because I can tell you as a SNAP recipient, it wouldn't be worth the time or the hassle.
I get that it wouldn’t be necessary. However, the name itself indicates that it’s not supposed to be the sole source of groceries. So spend the 2 bucks for flour.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No, no, you’ve made your point.

Helping people feed their families isn’t “government’s job”.

Why won't you answer the question? Is it because I was right and you just tried to make it sound like I was incorrect in my statement?

And now you are gaslighting me?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Key to udnerstanding the agencies, govefnmental and medical andfinancial, yes, intentiaonal cruelty, hidden perhaps under a false veneer smile, pure wicked.

Why is not allowing flour wicked? Something you all seem to be missing is when you dep ND on government government has control over you. They get to decide what you get and when you get it. You are all so angry over this, but then you want more government control over your healthcare or any other number of things. When you hand over government control of your retirement they now get to tell you when you can retire. Like age 70 or 72 or whatever. They also limit how much you get.

SNAP was NEVER meant to be you sole source of food. It's a SUPPLEMENT to your own spending.

For the vast majority of recipients it should be enough.

For some recipients they are so disabled that they cannot take care of themselves. That's a totally different issue and those people should be taken care of by the rest of us. They are the true poor.

Some are partially disabled but still can work. They should not be provided for all of the things. They can help support themselves and probably by flour.

All that being said I do think not being allowed to purchase flour is kind of dumb. I don't agree with them not being allowed to buy flour or meat.

But when you are dependant on government then that's what happens.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I get that it wouldn’t be necessary. However, the name itself indicates that it’s not supposed to be the sole source of groceries. So spend the 2 bucks for flour.

Laws aren't defined merely by their names. "Supplemental" can also mean to make up for whatever is lacking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Laws aren't defined merely by their names. "Supplemental" can also mean to make up for whatever is lacking.
What it doesn’t mean is “pay for everything”.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Certainly it's not a sin to try and make it stretch as much as possible though, right...?

And eliminating things that would make it stretch, is sheer spite, etc...

Normally, I don't get all that much SNAP benefits, etc, usually it is only enough to buy just a few bare essentials throughout the month, etc, but I am getting a little bit extra in my state right now due to Covid still, but it's still not enough to pay for all of my groceries, etc, and I still do still have to use cash for some things sometimes, even though I try to make it all stretch, etc, and it isn't even enough to cover even a sixth or a seventh of my groceries normally, etc...

I think it's pretty messed up that in order to get the maximum amount, just about anywhere, etc, you have to have zero income, etc, and because I have SSDI income, I never get the full amount, even though I am always below the poverty line, etc, and that is true of anybody on SSI or SSDI, etc, none of us ever gets the full amount normally, and still always has to use some cash, no matter how wisely we use it, or try to make it stretch, etc...

I'm not complaining, but I am just saying that they system is not perfect, since it only ever gives the maximum amount only to those with zero income, which can encourage people to try and do other things to get cash income, but that they don't (or can't) (or won't or don't have to) report, because it might be what's called "under the table", or might even be illegal in some or a lot of cases, etc, but they can still get the full amount of SNAP, because they don't have to report those other sources of income, and in the case of something being illegal, would probably go to jail if they did, etc...

A lot of people just flat out lie about it also, etc, and I've even heard that from a few of the social workers when I was telling them mine, etc, even said they were surprised that I didn't lie about some of it like a lot of other people do, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lot of people just flat out lie about it also, etc, and I've even heard that from a few of the social workers when I was telling them mine, etc, even said they were surprised that I didn't lie about some of it like a lot of other people do, etc...

This is why some many if us struggle with this. Because there are so many that take advantage of the system, lie and cheat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is why some many if us struggle with this. Because there are so many that take advantage of the system, lie and cheat.
Yeah, some people really know how to work the system, but with something like SSI, or SSDI income, you'd better not try to lie about it, since they already have that information about you on file, etc, but some of these people are really, really smart, know exactly what they can and cannot lie about, and how to work and take advantage of the system really good, etc, but I'm really not all that smart in that area though, and have never been good at lying, or keeping all of my lies straight, etc, which is something that these people who do know how to work the system, seem to be able to fully know how to do, really, really well, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe they’re more people who are really, truly disabled in a way that they need these benefits than you’ll willing to think exist?
Are there “cheats?” Yup.
I’m willing to take that chance, because I believe that people are good and won’t want to be a bad citizen by relying on the government to “take care of them”, (when they don’t need that).

(Speaking of welfare, didn’t Elon get some government money?…I’ll just put those goalposts back, shall I?)

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0