St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"On October 14, a district court for the Northern District of California granted summary judgment in Scholl v Mncuhin, a case that challenged the IRS’s policy of excluding inmates from receiving $1,200 stimulus checks. The court also made permanent the preliminary injunction it had issued earlier this month, which means that the IRS and Treasury Department cannot withhold stimulus checks solely based on an individual’s incarceration status. The government could still appeal the court’s ruling again (it was denied by the 9th Circuit), but the permanent injunction should be cause for celebration for the over two million incarcerated individuals in the U.S. who may now be eligible for an economic impact payment..."

Apparently, when the CARES Act was written, there was no language excluding incarcerated offenders from receiving stimulus money, or authorizing the IRS to withhold such funds. So the IRS's policy not to issue checks to inmates was ruled arbitrary and capricious. This would seem to be a strict, textualist interpretation of the law. Which is what conservatives support.

But it is disturbing that people like Bernie Madoff, Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph, and Terry Nichols are eligible for stimulus checks.

Confirmed: Inmates Eligible For Cares Act $1,200 Stimulus Checks From IRS; Here’s How To File

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From what I'm understanding...this applies to people that are incarcerated and waiting for trial. People that have been sentenced have been in the system for too long to qualify. For instance....people that were arrested in February of this year and hadn't filed taxes for 2019. These inmates haven't even been tried yet, so incarceration shouldn't exclude them.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"On October 14, a district court for the Northern District of California granted summary judgment in Scholl v Mncuhin, a case that challenged the IRS’s policy of excluding inmates from receiving $1,200 stimulus checks. The court also made permanent the preliminary injunction it had issued earlier this month, which means that the IRS and Treasury Department cannot withhold stimulus checks solely based on an individual’s incarceration status. The government could still appeal the court’s ruling again (it was denied by the 9th Circuit), but the permanent injunction should be cause for celebration for the over two million incarcerated individuals in the U.S. who may now be eligible for an economic impact payment..."

Apparently, when the CARES Act was written, there was no language excluding incarcerated offenders from receiving stimulus money, or authorizing the IRS to withhold such funds. So the IRS's policy not to issue checks to inmates was ruled arbitrary and capricious. This would seem to be a strict, textualist interpretation of the law. Which is what conservatives support.

But it is disturbing that people like Bernie Madoff, Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph, and Terry Nichols are eligible for stimulus checks.

Confirmed: Inmates Eligible For Cares Act $1,200 Stimulus Checks From IRS; Here’s How To File
Does that mean they passed a stimulus bill?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
If they get money, let them pay for their own PPE like the rest of us have to. I have no problem with them getting money as enjoying the money in prison will be a bit hard to do unless they buy contraban with it. Maybe when they get out of prison they will have 1200 dollars to start life over and be less apt to need to resort to crime right away.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe when they get out of prison they will have 1200 dollars to start life over and be less apt to need to resort to crime right away.
Do you realize that a lot of people that are incarcerated haven't been tried yet nor found guilty? They could very probably be innocent. In the meantime....while they're awaiting trial....they could lose their jobs, their homes, and just about everything they have. They may not have *ever* resorted to crime in the first place.

From article:
Every year, thousands of innocent people are sent to jail only because they can’t afford to post bail, putting them at risk of losing their jobs, custody of their children — even their lives.
"The Bail Trap - The New York Times" The Bail Trap (Published 2015)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Do you realize that a lot of people that are incarcerated haven't been tried yet nor found guilty? They could very probably be innocent. In the meantime....while they're awaiting trial....they could lose their jobs, their homes, and just about everything they have. They may not have *ever* resorted to crime in the first place.

From article:
Every year, thousands of innocent people are sent to jail only because they can’t afford to post bail, putting them at risk of losing their jobs, custody of their children — even their lives.
"The Bail Trap - The New York Times" The Bail Trap (Published 2015)
I'd appreciate it if you didn't cut out the first half of my post as it said I had no problem with them getting the money.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd appreciate it if you didn't cut out the first half of my post as it said I had no problem with them getting the money.
Okay....that wasn't the part I was referring to, however. This doesn't answer my question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Okay....that wasn't the part I was referring to, however. This doesn't answer my question.
I don't see your question as a problem to my answer to the OP of this thread. I can see issues with guilty people getting money that could go to their victims but $1200 to a person isn't a huge amount it can help but most likely not turn things around that much for people who also got $1200 and more if they have kids.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
hey 'jayem': years ago, did you used to post on theforum?

I’ve posted on CF since about 2003. (To the best of my recollection.) I posted on Internet Infidels before that. My career was in health care, and I was involved with a medical-related discussion forum in the late 90’s. Biomedical ethics was my main interest back in the day. But I’ve expanded my horizons. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with them getting money as enjoying the money in prison will be a bit hard to do unless they buy contraban with it.

This is not true! There is a lot they can purchase in prison. My Dad served 10 years in prison and if he didn’t have money to buy vitamins and food in the canteen his health would have greatly deteriorated. There was also a meager library in the prison but sometimes he could buy books at the canteen.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
This is not true! There is a lot they can purchase in prison. My Dad served 10 years in prison and if he didn’t have money to buy vitamins and food in the canteen his health would have greatly deteriorated. There was also a meager library in the prison but sometimes he could buy books at the canteen.
It would probably take awhile to spend $1200 then. As much as they are often getting clobbered with Covid in prisons (here in my state especially) the money is for Covid "help" so I see no problem with using it if they can.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does that mean they passed a stimulus bill?
No, they have no intention of passing a stimulus bill until maybe after the election, and no guarantee then. It is not really on Congress/Senates list of important tasks for now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would probably take awhile to spend $1200 then. As much as they are often getting clobbered with Covid in prisons (here in my state especially) the money is for Covid "help" so I see no problem with using it if they can.
.....or, for some, their wives and children can use the money.

Edited: or husbands. Women get wrongly accused as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Why wouldn't they be qualified? They are the epitome of upholding the social contract.

*They should be the first to receive...

Upvote 0