Jan 29, 2010
✟840,313.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL -- California has a open primary so most of the time the Republicans squeezed out and two Democrats in the running. Anyway Maxine's seat was long ago promised to her daughter, Karen.

Are we complaining because those with the most votes are the opponents on the ballots.

California is a strange place indeed. Elsewhere, the effort is for someone else to win, someone not supported by the votes.

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
Are we complaining because those with the most votes are the opponents on the ballots.

I'm not complaining but can you imagine a federal open primary for President of the U.S.? And on November 5th not Trump vs Biden but Sanders vs Biden or Warren vs Biden?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't the Sweetheart of Sigma Chi.

And I'm sure it wasn't the Zoltar machine from the Tom Hanks movie Big, either...

big-josh-young-and-zoltar.jpg

So who was it?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,313.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not complaining but can you imagine a federal open primary for President of the U.S.? And on November 5th not Trump vs Biden but Sanders vs Biden or Warren vs Biden?

Trump would have gotten more votes than any of the Democrats. I suspect that in this scenario, it would have been Trump-Sanders.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is how they're going to do it -- rather than accomplish it through the voting process, they're going to impeach their enemies one by one until they seize control.

Worked pretty good for the Democrats, but since the Republicans don't have big tech or the media censoring and propagandizing for their side I doubt it would be successful for them.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟348,413.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
LOL -- California has a open primary so most of the time the Republicans squeezed out and two Democrats in the running. Anyway Maxine's seat was long ago promised to her daughter, Karen.
You need to do some research. Since the jungle primary was implemented 9 years ago, only one of the five races in Rep. Waters' district had her go against a Democrat. The other four races were against Republicans in which she curb stomped the opponent. The jungle primary had nothing to do with it.

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Worked pretty good for the Democrats,

Did it? I don't recall any Republicans being removed from office...

Except, of course, through the ballot box... which, last I checked, is the way it's supposed to be done.

but since the Republicans don't have big tech or the media censoring and propagandizing for their side I doubt it would be successful for them.

Maybe if they lightened up on the finger-pointing and conspiracy theories?

Or is that even more troublesome than putting up a decent candidate?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You need to do some research. Since the jungle primary was implemented 9 years ago, only one of the five races in Rep. Waters' district had her go against a Democrat. The other four races were against Republicans in which she curb stomped the opponent. The jungle primary had nothing to do with it.

Now, now... don't torpedo an excuse with truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,210,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's no doubt that Maxine Waters is lousy person...much like anyone who associates themselves with Farrakhan...and if Chauvin's lawyer gets an appeal going and for some reason, makes it work, she's partially to blame for it:

The judge in Chauvin's trial said that Walters' comments were "abhorrent" and that it was "disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch" for elected officials to comment in advance of the verdict. The judge refused the defense's request for a mistrial, saying that the jury "have been told not to watch the news. I trust they are following those instructions," but also said that "Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned".[77][78]

...that being said, using controversial rhetoric isn't grounds for expulsion, and removing her wouldn't do anything to change the power dynamic in the House. It's not as if the Cali 43rd district seat would be filled by a republican if she got ousted.

What I would like to see, is a consistent standard from both sides with regards to what constitutes incitement.

Meaning, for the Trump supporters out there who don't think he was guilty of incitement, you can't bash Waters for incitement...and for the Waters supporters out there, you can't bash Trump incitement.

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟939,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because their Republican opponents are crappier?

No, seriously... why can't they defeat her?
Career politicians on both sides have figured out how to win elections. They’re good at getting elected and then crappy at actually doing their job. It’s just that simple.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maxine Waters should have not said what she said. I have seen many controversial thing she says in public. As a US congresswoman she should be careful what she says in public.

But republicans want to impeach her ? Just little over a year ago ( early 2020) when Democrat wanted to impeach POTUS because the President withheld Congress approved aid to foreign leader and tried to bribe the foreign leader to help the sitting President of US to be reelected, then the republicans were saying “ impeachment is only for rare occasion, this is not impeachable offence” . Now they want to impeach this congresswoman, give me a break.
Well for starts there was insufficient evidence that any of those allogations were true, moving on from there, Waters was all to happy to impeach Trump for saying things far less inciting than what she has said on more than one occasion now. I see the all too familiar double standard.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟145,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well for starts there was insufficient evidence that any of those allogations were true, moving on from there, Waters was all to happy to impeach Trump for saying things far less inciting than what she has said on more than one occasion now. I see the all too familiar double standard.
When did Maxine Waters urge people to storm the Capitol because “you’re not going to have a country anymore”?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When did Maxine Waters urge people to storm the Capitol because “you’re not going to have a country anymore”?
Does it has to be word for word before the similarity or contrast can be seen. Waters called for violence, Trump did not.

• Agree
Reactions: adderbolt
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I am not allowed to point out double standard in the forum w/o getting a warning.. so I will leave it at that!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You have that backwards. Trump called for violence, Waters did not. Remember the Trump supporters screaming and yelling "HANG MIKE PENCE!!!!" because Trump called for it.

Trump's supporters even built a gallows to hang Mike Pence from:
VIDEO: Pro-Trump mob chants ‘hang Mike Pence!’ (msn.com)
BB1cCagI.img

And remember, Donald riled up an audience that he knew in advance were plotting something violent.

He didn't calm them down; he steered them straight towards his foes.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟348,413.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Also, this is a small thing, but man civics education in this country is lacking. Maxine Waters literally cannot be impeached. She can be expelled from the House, but that has only ever happened in the modern period for somebody who was convicted of a crime and refused to resign.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0