Hello, some very serious questions from an Athiest - absolutely NO mocking inside.

JustMike1964

Sep 7, 2023
Northeast
✟8,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's such a long story, but I am 59 and had a LOT of problems with religion growing up. Spent a larger portion of my life having it forced down my throat than I care to recall, mostly because when I tell someone I am not interested, they can't respect me. But anyway, that's not why I'm here.

I have some serious questions, and having asked SO many believers/followers over the decades, not ONE of them was able to give me an answer.
It would be appreciated if someone could actually answer these questions. Thank you.

As mentioned in the subject, there is no joking, mocking or anything negative. These are all questions I have wondered for years, and some information about past girlfriends.

1a. If we are all supposedly from Adam and Eve, and for lack of a better work Adam "gave birth" to Eve from a rib, why isn't it still done that way?
1b. When did it "switch" to a woman giving birth?

2a. Also, if we're all from Adam and Eve, wouldn't/shouldn't we all be related? (We've all heard during incestuous birth, the newborn often has some medical issues.)
2b. Also also, if we're all from Adam and Eve, why are there several blood types?

In 1990, I had a girlfriend who was relentless is trying to get me to "convert." I honestly have no interest in that, in any way, shape or form. Before she started buying me bibles, trying to get to to go see Billy Graham and trying to get me to go to church with her, she knew from day 1 that I was an Athiest and all of that. But like I said she was relentless. Why can't people just live and let live? So I was driving my ex-girlfriend and I to dinner one night and out of the blue, she says, "If it's not in the bible it doesn't exist." So I looked at her with a "stunned" look on my face and asked her, "Well then how in the world are we getting to dinner?" She said nothing. She also said, "There is no such thing as dinosaurs." Later that week we went to the Museum of Natural History in New York City. I pointed to the T-Rex and said, "See that? THAT is a dinosaur."

3a. Why would she (or anyone) say that if it isn't in the bible it doesn't exist? Obviously that is not correct.
3b. Why in the world would she say there's no such thing as dinosaurs when you can clearly with your own eyes see them in pretty much any museum?

One day we went on a long ride somewhere, I forget where. About an hour or so into the trip she realized she forgot her Insulin. So, I turned right around and went back to she could get it. She actually got MAD at me, because I DIDN'T get mad at her. Can someone PLEASE explain that one to me? So after all that and maybe a few months later, when she got fed up trying to get me to convert, she gave me an ultimatum one day and said, "If you don't convert, it's over." I was pretty much out the door by the end of the sentence and never talked to her again.

4a. If Noah's Ark was real, can someone please explain to me how the kangaroos were able to get to Australia?
4b. And on the subject of Noah, if he entire world was flooded and destroyed ALL life, didn't the fish survive?

5. For those who may not be familiar, the late comedian George Carlin has a video on YouTube about praying. (I'll leave out the expletives,) but he said that if your god has a "divine plan" for everyone that cannot be changed, why do people pray?

6. When my father was in the hospital in 2003, 7 years after his heart transplant, with a diabetic issue, so many people said, "I'll pray for him." He died from the bacteria from a bedsore, which the hospital denied. The point there is, praying did absolutely nothing to help. Many people will say it "was his will." Yeah, but if he was already supposed to die because of the "divine plan," again, why bother praying?

7. If the bible is supposed to be the "word of god," then why was so much removed from it in various version of the bible? There should be ONE version, with no contradictions. Can someone help me with that?

8a. If we're "all made in god's image," who is supposed to be a loving god, all-knowing, all-powerful, etc. Why was Hitler allowed to kill over 6 million people?
8b. Why is Putin allowed to do what he is doing?

9. I have been told SO many times that I ma not interpreting the bible correctly. While I have never and will never read it, I have of course, seen parts, many times. My question to the people who DO read it is, "How do you know YOU are interpreting it correctly?" Just because you believe/follow, there is nothing concrete in here. It's ALL open to interpretation." So what makes THEM right?

10. I thought long and hard about posting this question. I in NO way want to bring up politics (my other least favorite thing in the world) in this post, but I do have a question. I've heard there is a state that wants to bring the bible into the school and teach it. Isn't that what Sunday school is for? If it is an "elective" course, then sure. But if they are planning on making it part of the standard curriculum, then my children (if I had any) would pull them from there instantly and home schooled. Why are some people so adamant about this and not respecting the fact that not everyone follows the same thing? I never understood that.

11. It's a known fact that religion is a VERY large cause of many murders. Why? Why would someone kill someone just because they don't believe in the same thing? What happened to "Love thy neighbor?" Also going back to us all being related - why are you killing a "family member?"

There's many more questions, but this is a good start, Following are just some of the things I have gone through. Interested in others' take on these experiences.

While I do not celebrate or practice anything, if anything I guess I should be Jewish, as my ancestors were, mostly coming from Eastern Europe. My paternal grandmother actually survived the holocaust by putting blood from the murdered on herself and "playing dead" amongst the other murdered people. I had HOURS of her talking about this recorded on cassette in the 1970's, but sadly those were ruined in a basement flood.

So, since I don't practice anything, I have a (personal) problem with religious holidays. I have absolutely NOTHINBG against what people believe follow, etc. But if I tell you that I am not interested, I will ALWAYS say it politely, even though I want to scream. If that person cannot respect MY wishes, they better DARE not expect me to respect theirs. If I had a nickel for every time someone tried to force their religion down my throat or disrespected my wishes, I would have choked to death decades ago. Literally.

One day I was coming out of a store, and a woman was going through the parking lot with the Watch Tower magazine. Of course most everyone knows they're about the Jehovah's Witnesses. She came up to me and asked if I'd like some information. I played dumb like I didn't know what it was and asked her if it was religious. She said yes. I said no thank you. She said, sorry to bother you, have a nice day and then walked away. That was the FIRST and ONLY time in my life that someone actually respected my wishes. I was so shocked that I almost called her back to tell her I would take one of the magazines.

I have a serious personal problem with people who say "god bless you" and "merry christmas." I will say that I DO understand that not one of those people is saying that with ANY malice. They only mean it in a friendly and nice way. I REALLY do understand that. But the problem is, what THEY don't realize is, that they have NO idea who they're saying that to. They have NO idea what that person has been through in their lives (like myself.) I find it extremely frustrating. Depending on the situation. I say nothing and just keep moving. I find that MANY people who celebrate christmas don't realize that there's actually other holidays during that same month. THAT is what drives me nuts. Except for maybe the Muslims and the Orthodox or Hassidic Jewish people, it's not easy to tell what people do or do not believe it. What is wrong with "Happy Holidays"? Even though I hate all of it with a passion, I'd much rather hear THAT then the other thing. My problem with holidays is the commercialization of them. The fact that some store put the stuff out MONTHS in advance. That bothers me. It's a personal thing, I know, but still... I know for a fact I am not the only one.

I just don't understand why we all can't just get along. This world would be a MUCH better place.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope nothing was offensive in there!

Mike

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to Christian Forums.
There is no harm in asking these questions. Though you may get various replies, since "the majority of Christians (58%) say the Bible is the inspired word of God but not everything in it is to be taken literally, while 25% say it should be interpreted literally and 16% say it is an ancient book of fables." HERE
So Christians may have very different views on the questions you ask.

Upvote 0

JustMike1964

Sep 7, 2023
Northeast
✟8,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to Christian Forums.
There is no harm in asking these questions. Though you may get various replies, since "the majority of Christians (58%) say the Bible is the inspired word of God but not everything in it is to be taken literally, while 25% say it should be interpreted literally and 16% say it is an ancient book of fables." HERE
So Christians may have very different views on the questions you ask.
Thanks for that information!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's such a long story, but I am 59 and had a LOT of problems with religion growing up. Spent a larger portion of my life having it forced down my throat than I care to recall, mostly because when I tell someone I am not interested, they can't respect me. But anyway, that's not why I'm here.

I have some serious questions, and having asked SO many believers/followers over the decades, not ONE of them was able to give me an answer.
It would be appreciated if someone could actually answer these questions. Thank you.

As mentioned in the subject, there is no joking, mocking or anything negative. These are all questions I have wondered for years, and some information about past girlfriends.

1a. If we are all supposedly from Adam and Eve, and for lack of a better work Adam "gave birth" to Eve from a rib, why isn't it still done that way?

2a. Also, if we're all from Adam and Eve, wouldn't/shouldn't we all be related? (We've all heard during incestuous birth, the newborn often has some medical issues.)
2b. Also also, if we're all from Adam and Eve, why are there several blood types?

In 1990, I had a girlfriend who was relentless is trying to get me to "convert." I honestly have no interest in that, in any way, shape or form. Before she started buying me bibles, trying to get to to go see Billy Graham and trying to get me to go to church with her, she knew from day 1 that I was an Athiest and all of that. But like I said she was relentless. Why can't people just live and let live? So I was driving my ex-girlfriend and I to dinner one night and out of the blue, she says, "If it's not in the bible it doesn't exist." So I looked at her with a "stunned" look on my face and asked her, "Well then how in the world are we getting to dinner?" She said nothing. She also said, "There is no such thing as dinosaurs." Later that week we went to the Museum of Natural History in New York City. I pointed to the T-Rex and said, "See that? THAT is a dinosaur."

3a. Why would she (or anyone) say that if it isn't in the bible it doesn't exist? Obviously that is not correct.
3b. Why in the world would she say there's no such thing as dinosaurs when you can clearly with your own eyes see them in pretty much any museum?

One day we went on a long ride somewhere, I forget where. About an hour or so into the trip she realized she forgot her Insulin. So, I turned right around and went back to she could get it. She actually got MAD at me, because I DIDN'T get mad at her. Can someone PLEASE explain that one to me? So after all that and maybe a few months later, when she got fed up trying to get me to convert, she gave me an ultimatum one day and said, "If you don't convert, it's over." I was pretty much out the door by the end of the sentence and never talked to her again.

4a. If Noah's Ark was real, can someone please explain to me how the kangaroos were able to get to Australia?
4b. And on the subject of Noah, if he entire world was flooded and destroyed ALL life, didn't the fish survive?

5. For those who may not be familiar, the late comedian George Carlin has a video on YouTube about praying. (I'll leave out the expletives,) but he said that if your god has a "divine plan" for everyone that cannot be changed, why do people pray?

6. When my father was in the hospital in 2003, 7 years after his heart transplant, with a diabetic issue, so many people said, "I'll pray for him." He died from the bacteria from a bedsore, which the hospital denied. The point there is, praying did absolutely nothing to help. Many people will say it "was his will." Yeah, but if he was already supposed to die because of the "divine plan," again, why bother praying?

7. If the bible is supposed to be the "word of god," then why was so much removed from it in various version of the bible? There should be ONE version, with no contradictions. Can someone help me with that?

8a. If we're "all made in god's image," who is supposed to be a loving god, all-knowing, all-powerful, etc. Why was Hitler allowed to kill over 6 million people?

9. I have been told SO many times that I ma not interpreting the bible correctly. While I have never and will never read it, I have of course, seen parts, many times. My question to the people who DO read it is, "How do you know YOU are interpreting it correctly?" Just because you believe/follow, there is nothing concrete in here. It's ALL open to interpretation." So what makes THEM right?

10. I thought long and hard about posting this question. I in NO way want to bring up politics (my other least favorite thing in the world) in this post, but I do have a question. I've heard there is a state that wants to bring the bible into the school and teach it. Isn't that what Sunday school is for? If it is an "elective" course, then sure. But if they are planning on making it part of the standard curriculum, then my children (if I had any) would pull them from there instantly and home schooled. Why are some people so adamant about this and not respecting the fact that not everyone follows the same thing? I never understood that.

11. It's a known fact that religion is a VERY large cause of many murders. Why? Why would someone kill someone just because they don't believe in the same thing? What happened to "Love thy neighbor?" Also going back to us all being related - why are you killing a "family member?"

There's many more questions, but this is a good start, Following are just some of the things I have gone through. Interested in others' take on these experiences.

While I do not celebrate or practice anything, if anything I guess I should be Jewish, as my ancestors were, mostly coming from Eastern Europe. My paternal grandmother actually survived the holocaust by putting blood from the murdered on herself and "playing dead" amongst the other murdered people. I had HOURS of her talking about this recorded on cassette in the 1970's, but sadly those were ruined in a basement flood.

So, since I don't practice anything, I have a (personal) problem with religious holidays. I have absolutely NOTHINBG against what people believe follow, etc. But if I tell you that I am not interested, I will ALWAYS say it politely, even though I want to scream. If that person cannot respect MY wishes, they better DARE not expect me to respect theirs. If I had a nickel for every time someone tried to force their religion down my throat or disrespected my wishes, I would have choked to death decades ago. Literally.

One day I was coming out of a store, and a woman was going through the parking lot with the Watch Tower magazine. Of course most everyone knows they're about the Jehovah's Witnesses. She came up to me and asked if I'd like some information. I played dumb like I didn't know what it was and asked her if it was religious. She said yes. I said no thank you. She said, sorry to bother you, have a nice day and then walked away. That was the FIRST and ONLY time in my life that someone actually respected my wishes. I was so shocked that I almost called her back to tell her I would take one of the magazines.

I have a serious personal problem with people who say "god bless you" and "merry christmas." I will say that I DO understand that not one of those people is saying that with ANY malice. They only mean it in a friendly and nice way. I REALLY do understand that. But the problem is, what THEY don't realize is, that they have NO idea who they're saying that to. They have NO idea what that person has been through in their lives (like myself.) I find it extremely frustrating. Depending on the situation. I say nothing and just keep moving. I find that MANY people who celebrate christmas don't realize that there's actually other holidays during that same month. THAT is what drives me nuts. Except for maybe the Muslims and the Orthodox or Hassidic Jewish people, it's not easy to tell what people do or do not believe it. What is wrong with "Happy Holidays"? Even though I hate all of it with a passion, I'd much rather hear THAT then the other thing. My problem with holidays is the commercialization of them. The fact that some store put the stuff out MONTHS in advance. That bothers me. It's a personal thing, I know, but still... I know for a fact I am not the only one.

I just don't understand why we all can't just get along. This world would be a MUCH better place.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope nothing was offensive in there!

Mike

You seem to have a lot of questions. Maybe we should take them one or two at a time. To begin, I wouldn't get so wrapped up in the matter of Adam and Eve and Noah's ark. A lot of people have little more than a Sunday School knowledge of the bible and most of that came from looking at the pictures. They tend to have a habit of not progressing any further, and worse than that, do not allow anyone else to progress any further. But anyways, if we didn't all descend from one man and one woman, how many men and women did we descend from?

These other things you've spoken about are more interpersonal experiences with different people more than they are religious experiences. If someone won't leave you alone tell them directly to leave you alone. The other things we can discuss further if you like.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Also The Bible never states that God destroyed every living live being on earth. God wrath was poured on on living things of the earth.

And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man. All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died. So He destroyed all living things which were on the face of the ground: both man and cattle, creeping thing and bird of the air. They were destroyed from the earth. Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark remained alive.

But the purpose of The Bible is to not become a political tool for people to rule with, etc....

The Bible tells men/women that they have been separated from The Life of God. And the only way to receive The Life of God again and become restored back to God. Is by belief/faith in Jesus. If a person believes in the person Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. They cross over from death to life and become a born again child of God.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

A person may have excellent knowledge about God and be living the most obedient life they can live for God. But yet if they have never believed in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life, they are no better than an atheist or a buddhist, or a hindu or a morman, or the most dedicated Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian or etc... who has never believed in Jesus.

Upvote 0

JustMike1964

Sep 7, 2023
Northeast
✟8,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for that information!
Interestingly, I used to fix, build and program computer the the folks that
I'm betting those numbers are from a poll of some sort. And at that a poll that did not give any reasonable answer to select. At least as I see it.

The Bible consists of things that were considered worth recording and passing down. From a believer's standpoint that can include portions that are all of the following;

Direct commands from their God
History
Teaching stories, perhaps literally true, perhaps not
Bits of wisdom (think Proverbs)
Other poetry (Psalms and Song of Solomon)
Prophetic literature
and some more I have forgotten.

The inspired word of God, but not all to be taken literally is the least problematic. But even has huge issues when it comes to the history part. The inspired word of God part makes it drift into that history being the will and desire of God. Some of the history is disturbing at best.

I happen to be an Atheist who has read the entire Bible, cover to cover at least twice. Though I read Numbers rather quickly.

I'm going to tackle the Noahtic Flood questions. That story can be taken many ways. Concluding the fundie way of comic book literalism of the English texts is not reasonable. The words in the original languages do not imply it was the whole world in the modern sense, at most the whole world in the same sense as the terms Old World is used for Europe and parts of Africa and Asia and New World used for The Americas. Read that way the problems of a fundie comic book reading vanish. Australia was not impacted, nor was Northern or Eastern Europe, East Asia or The Americas.

It can also be read as fable based on fact. Things like 40 days may in fact be far more important for symbolic reasons that any literal ones.
Thank you for that reply. I guess I have always been confused at the fact how folks say it's the "word of god" but often in the same sentence "it's open to interpretation." And surely NOTHING against your reply at all, but it confuses me, If something is supposed to be the WORD, then there should be ZERO changes to the original text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustMike1964

Sep 7, 2023
Northeast
✟8,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
-
Also The Bible never states that God destroyed every living live being on earth. God wrath was poured on on living things of the earth.

And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man. All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died. So He destroyed all living things which were on the face of the ground: both man and cattle, creeping thing and bird of the air. They were destroyed from the earth. Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark remained alive.

But the purpose of The Bible is to not become a political tool for people to rule with, etc....

The Bible tells men/women that they have been separated from The Life of God. And the only way to receive The Life of God again and become restored back to God. Is by belief/faith in Jesus. If a person believes in the person Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. They cross over from death to life and become a born again child of God.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

A person may have excellent knowledge about God and be living the most obedient life they can live for God. But yet if they have never believed in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life, they are no better than an atheist or a buddhist, or a hindu or a morman, or the most dedicated Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian or etc... who has never believed in Jesus.
Thank you for that... I must have either misheard, or someone misspoke when not using the word "dry land".

• Friendly
Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

JustMike1964

Sep 7, 2023
Northeast
✟8,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Some sects of Islam hold that. But that means converts have to learn a new language.

The Bible was not written in English or even Latin. And the OT was not written in Greek. I know some Christian groups behave as if it was, especially the King James only sorts.

And even the original languages have changed over time.

It seems a lot of your confusion is accepting the lens of the groups you grew up with while you think you have rejected their teachings.
Thank you for that. From what I understand the OT was written in Aramaic and I thought I remembered hearing Greek.

These groups were so wide and varied from all walks of life, as it were.

When you say I have rejected their teachings, well, you could be right. It's just that they were people who didn't respect my wishes to be left alone because I wasn't interested. However, the times I asked the questions I've asked here, they just couldn't/didn't/wouldn't answer.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241636_9f4a3046555e3431f8a087b68dbce899_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a small clean up so it can be moved to Exploriing Christianity, where the only Non-Christian allowed to post is the OP. From now on, only Christians should respond to the OP and only the OP is allowed in the thread.

The Kitchen Sink is not the place to discuss theology or for Christian Apologetics.

Reopening

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@keith99 's earlier words are worth considering: "It seems a lot of your confusion is accepting the lens of the groups you grew up with while you think you have rejected their teachings."

Several of the questions you ask are based on the assumption that the stories of Adam and Eve and Noah are intended to be historical narratives. Many Christians think that the storytellers didn't intend them to be that kind of literature; that, rather, they were intended to be stories that made important points about how God created us and cares for us, but not intended as actual history. (The early Genesis stories have a different flavor to them than, say, I and II Kings, which seem intended as actual history.) Similarly, Christians mean a variety of things when they say that the Bible is the "word of God"; the idea of God dictating the Bible is only one of a wide range of views held by Christians.

I suggest that you might read a wider range of religious writings before making your decision about the existence of God. Have you, for example, considered the Judaism that your family practiced? You mentioned the Problem of Evil in your question #8; I expect that European Jews who endured the Holocaust have much to say about faith and suffering. Christianity also engages with suffering, in a different way; our religion begins with a crucifixion, and we have meditated for centuries on what that crucifixion means to us. No easy or simple answers, from either Jews or Christians, but it is something that people of both faiths have reflected on and wrestled with.

I acknowledge that the church of your childhood, and various religious people in your life, injured you. Christians, ideally, shouldn't be jerks, but sometimes we are. I'm sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I cannot answer your particular questions although I empathize with whatever aggravation you have experienced. An approach I would take to understanding the Gospel of Jesus Christ would be to read the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes in which Solomon gives us a general understanding of human life. There are some opinions as to whether Ecclesiastes even believes in an afterlife; I believe it does given the urgency of it’s final chapter.

Next, I would read the New Testament Gospel of John as to where to fulfill where Solomon left off in Ecclesiastes. It is not obvious but I believe it is found in the area of keeping God’s commandments in living life and seeing that only Jesus Christ is God among us who can fulfill commandments we are called to keep but ultimately cannot.

Solomon concluded that we are to fear God & keep the commandments ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14). Solomon is entirely right even though we will fall short. The Lord Jesus Christ affirmed Solomon ( see John 14:15-18). This is where Jesus Christ solves this dilemma for us ( John 3:16-21).

Interestingly, the commandments are not actually clarified in Ecclesiastes and John but can be found in Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:12, & read Matthew 7:1-12, Matthew 19:16-19, & Romans 13:8-10).

Ecclesiastes is about 10 pages of printed scripture & John about 25 pages. Read both carefully. I hope from this you may find an answer that only our conscience can really understand ( see 1 Timothy 1:5).

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I see not many folks have tried answering your questions, so I'll take a stab at some of them.

I think Eve was a special case. She was made from a portion of man to be his helpmate. It was just how GOD decided to do this when she was made. I don't really have a better answer for this.

I do think that originally we were all related. Probably around the tower of babel timeframe when GOD change the language of everyone, He also changed them physically. I don't have a specific proof, but the changed happened at some point, and that is my best guess at when it did.

Probably cause she is like many who believe in certain translations, and they won't change.

You see, translations like the King James and others mention how GOD created the earth in Genesis 1 in six days. Well to believe this one must discount dinosaurs and anything from the past that science discovers that might jeopardize this belief.

I'm a GAP theory believer, meaning that I believe there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, and that the creation account in Genesis is when GOD remade the earth from killing everything on it with an ice age. Just prior to this I believe that satan was kicked out of heaven for starting a war, and any of his kingdom that GOD once gave him down here on earth was destroyed by blotting out the sun, thereby creating an ice age. There are sections of the bible that do tell some of this, but most people ignore them.

Was the bible written in one year by one man?

For instance, in the gospel account, they are written by 4 different people who searched out witness tesitmony to the sayings and actions of Jesus. None of the gospel accounts completely agree amongst themselves for this reason, and how would they?

The word of GOD was created by The Holy Spirit in those men and women over many, many centuries, so there just might be some copy errors and such over that period of time, as well as rogue individuals trying to destroy it.

You forgot an aspect of His character and person,... Judge.

Who owns the world currently? Satan. So this is why people such as Hitler and others arise at times and we have so much crime and wars happening at times, until he is put down for good.

Stalin killed way more people by the way.

I don't rely on my ability to know the truth, I rely upon that portion of GOD that was given me inside when I became born again, The Holy Spirit.

He leads me into all truth.

Maybe,... but I think politics have killed way more than religion.

Btw, not everyone is a Christian down here, so thinking that everyone will automatically "love thy neighbor" is not realistic.

I didn't answer all of your questions, but I took a stab at a good majority of them. Please don't create another 20 questions demanding that I answer them also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Mike
Hi Mike, thank you for your genuine enquiries. Please remember that Christians believe that unbelievers are lost and going to hell. That rather influences our attempts to save people from such a terrible fate. If we had a cure for cancer and told no one, we would rightly be condemned. We know the "cure" for the spiritual death of the sinner. That sinners don't want to hear this "good news" simply demonstrates the fact that they are dead in trespass and sin. We truly mean nothing but good for all mankind.

1.a Adam was the first of a new and unique species. God spoke the rest of His creation into existence, but He personally formed man. He took a part of man and formed the woman from that part. He then told them to procreate. God could have repeated His creation of Adam and Eve, but He chose not to.
1.b Adam and Eve rebelled against God, disobeying a very simple command. It was after this event that woman began to conceive and bear children.
2.a We are all related. The concept of race came about because of Darwinian evolution. Prior to this, it was more about cultural differences. My understanding is that all the genetic diversity of all humanity was included in Adam.
3.a There is a great deal of ignorance about the Bible. It is 100% true but it does not cover everything. You won't read about quantum mechanics in the Bible. God has included what He deems necessary for the salvation of man, no more and no less. As to dinosaurs, there is a description of the co-called Behemoth that matches a sauropod (aka Brontosaurus). You will find this in the book of Job. The "Leviathon could also be a marine dinosaur.
3.b The same reason that some people believe the earth is flat when it is obviously a globe. Some people cannot even accept the evidence of their own eyes. It's absurd, I know
4.a You may know that the continents were once one land mass, known as Pangea. This fits a brief description of the earth in the first chapter of Genesis. It is obvious that the continents drifted apart. The question is, when? So it was obviously possible for animals to migrate anywhere at that time. To me, it is obviously after Noah's flood.
4.b The Bible says that all life was wiped from the face of the earth. That, to me, means the dry land, not aquatic creatures.
5. God's divine plan requires the cooperation of man. God does nothing without the cooperation of a man. God gave man authority over the whole of creation. God's plan was for man to rule and reign. It still is. That's part of the reason why God came to earth in human form, Jesus. It's a huge subject. I could devote pages to this question alone. So yes, God requires that we pray. If we pray according to His will and in the name of Jesus, He will answer.

God is also amazingly gracious. He answered my prayer when I was 12 years old. I was not a believer and it scared me. I rationalised it away as coincidence. Since I was saved 50 years ago, God answers my prayers all the time. It is, "Yes, No or Not Yet" I was desperately ill in hospital (pancreatitus) about 3 years ago. My wife prayed for me while the doctor was there. The doctor said that my wife's prayer was answered to the word.

6. Some things are difficult to understand. When things go wrong in my life, I simply trust God anyway. He sent Jesus to die in my place. That's love that is beyond understanding.

7. The Bible was written in different languages. Words are open to interpretation at times. For example, "wilderness" and "desert" are the same word in the Bible. They are not exactly the same thing. A translator has to choose. Also, scholars have a much better understanding of ancient languages now than a few hundred years ago.

8.a When Adam rebelled against God, he became a sinner. "Sin" is an archery term, meaning to miss the target. Man progressively has declined morally since that day. God's response is to allow man to do as he pleases. God respects man's free will. So we end up with monsters like Putin, Kim Jong Un, ISIL, Al Qeda and so on.

8.b. God will intervene in the Ukraine/Russia war as people pray. Ukraine should have been completely overrun by now. Putin is allowed to exist because the world refuses to do anything about him. He should have been stopped in 2014. Hitler likewise could have been stopped from starting WW2. It would have been fairly easy in the mid 1930's But too many people were complacent and did not take Hitler seriously.

If you want God to remove all the evil in the world, you will get your wish eventually. However, be careful what you wish for. That includes you.

9. The Bible is a spiritual book for spiritual people. It makes no sense to unbelievers. You can read the words but you do not know what it means. I was the same before I was born again. I could not read the Bible. After I was saved, I could not put it down!

10. It's a vexed question. Again, Christians want the best for everyone. I was in the military. We had something called "Character Guidance". The military had discovered that Christians survived North Korean prison camps far more ably than unbelievers. Now there are few more godless institutions than the Australian military. Yet we were encouraged to embrace Christianity. They even arranged for us to go to a Billy Graham crusade. I don't know why you should baulk at some kind of Christian teaching. People have a right to refuse, as I did at first. Obviously that changed some time later.

11. Christianity is not a religion. It's a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Jesus died and rose again to save mankind from their worst enemy - themselves. We do not need a new set of rules or a new guru to tell us how to live. People know what's right and wrong. The problem is how to live the right way. For that, we need a new nature, one that is able not to sin. That's what God offers us through Christ. We can leave the human race and become new beings. I've been a Christian for 50 years. I was dead until then, even though I was breathing. Now I am alive forever. You can be too.

• Winner
Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... I don't know why you should baulk at some kind of Christian teaching. People have a right to refuse, as I did at first ...
"Some kind" is different now from what it was in the 1950s when the churches were already neglecting teaching because Billy Graham, Ravi Zacharias et al are their substitutes.

Upvote 0