Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe if Derek Chauvin is found innocent. Riot, protesting, murders and looting will 10 times worse. It's not a good thing. But anyone with commonsense. will know it will be worse. If Derek Chauvin is found guilty. I believe huge parties will happen.
OK but do you have any concern about Waters effectively demanding a verdict for Murder in fact she even went to the level of Murder One. Setting expectations at that level is ensuring violence especially when the charge of Murder One is not before the court.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now it seems to have escalated to jury tampering...
Yes Waters has managed to open mouth, insert foot, and create a whole new problem that effectively was the same as shooting herself in the other foot. I hope the people who voted for her are questioning supporting her in the future.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes Waters has managed to open mouth, insert foot, and create a whole new problem that effectively was the same as shooting herself in the other foot. I hope the people who voted for her are questioning supporting her in the future.

I think that she should be censured by the House.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It seem that her comments may have backfired...

Judge in Derek Chauvin trial says Rep. Maxine Waters' comments may be grounds for appeal

The judge overseeing former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin's trial in the death of George Floyd said Monday that Rep. Maxine Waters' comments could be grounds for appealing a verdict in the trial.

"I'll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned," Judge Peter Cahill told defense attorney Eric Nelson on Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm very disappointed in Rep. Waters' words. I say that in times of crisis and tension, it is the duty of our elected officials to use their influence to defuse the situation -- not exacerbate it.

... of course, I've been saying that since January 6 -- nice to see more people getting on board.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here's the entire Jan 6 speech transcript, quote where the incitement is: Read: Former President Donald Trump's January 6 speech - CNNPolitics

Donald said:
And again, most people would stand there at 9:00 in the evening and say, “I want to thank you very much,” and they go off to some other life, but I said, “Something’s wrong here. Something’s really wrong. Can’t have happened.” And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don’t fight like Hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Donald again said:
So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

Now, I will grant that without proper context, it's difficult for someone (particularly the unwilling) to see the incitement.

However, bearing in mind that:

1. Donald spent the last 4+ years thriving on incendiary rhetoric, to the point of even explicitly encouraging violence against his political enemies in the past,

2. He'd spent the previous 3 months spinning stories about the massive conspiracy against himself (and by extension, against them) to steal the election -- stories which his followers swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

3. The FBI knew that there were people in the crowd who were already planning an, and the FBI reports to both the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security...agencies which both report directly to Donald, which means that Donald knew perfectly well that he was speaking to a crowd that was not only predisposed to violence, but had a plan in motion... a plan he could've defused with his influence, but instead chose to exacerbate.

4. In reference to Point 3, even though some people have claimed in the past that Donald has the attention span of a fruit fly and wouldn't understand a security brief unless it was written in yellow crayon, I personally disagree.
In any case, even in the unlikely event Donald was too busy/too lazy to read the security briefings that his staff prepares for him, the United States Secret Service does read them. Assuming a competent Secret Service, when Donald announced that he was going to speak to the crowd, the USSS would have told him they were plotting something violent and advised him against speaking to them. Donald would have had to ignore their warnings and instead explicitly directed the rallying crowd towards the largest nearby collection of his political enemies: The U.S. Capitol Building.

All of this is context which his ideological defenders are required to ignore... unless they can use context to hang Rep. Waters with her words -- doublethink being a necessary skill.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now, I will grant that without proper context, it's difficult for someone (particularly the unwilling) to see the incitement.

However, bearing in mind that:

1. Donald spent the last 4+ years thriving on incendiary rhetoric, to the point of even explicitly encouraging violence against his political enemies in the past,

2. He'd spent the previous 3 months spinning stories about the massive conspiracy against himself (and by extension, against them) to steal the election -- stories which his followers swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

3. The FBI knew that there were people in the crowd who were already planning an, and the FBI reports to both the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security...agencies which both report directly to Donald, which means that Donald knew perfectly well that he was speaking to a crowd that was not only predisposed to violence, but had a plan in motion... a plan he could've defused with his influence, but instead chose to exacerbate.

4. In reference to Point 3, even though some people have claimed in the past that Donald has the attention span of a fruit fly and wouldn't understand a security brief unless it was written in yellow crayon, I personally disagree.
In any case, even in the unlikely event Donald was too busy/too lazy to read the security briefings that his staff prepares for him, the United States Secret Service does read them. Assuming a competent Secret Service, when Donald announced that he was going to speak to the crowd, the USSS would have told him they were plotting something violent and advised him against speaking to them. Donald would have had to ignore their warnings and instead explicitly directed the rallying crowd towards the largest nearby collection of his political enemies: The U.S. Capitol Building.

All of this is context which his ideological defenders are required to ignore... unless they can use context to hang Rep. Waters with her words -- doublethink being a necessary skill.

He has also made it quite well known in the past that he encourages violence as part of his rallies and has stated he will pay the legal fees for those who engaged in it on his behalf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The judge apparently told both lawyers that she likely provided a valid reason for an appeal if Chauvin is convicted.

...and that's unfortunate. Words have consequences.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How true -- even yours ...

Certainly... which is why I'm careful with the words I say in public, and I accept responsibility for them.

The world would be a better place if others did likewise, IMO.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The judge apparently told both lawyers that she likely provided a valid reason for an appeal if Chauvin is convicted.
Which is odd to me considering that the jury is being sequestered, so they shouldn't even be aware of Rep. Water's statements.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
Certainly... which is why I'm careful with the words I say in public, and I accept responsibility for them.

The world would be a better place if others did likewise, IMO.

One woman's dog whistle seems to be another woman's lullaby. And if none of it advances to yelling fire in a theater where or what is the solution? Or is there none except evermore trading barbs until the next brouhaha bubbles up into our collective consciousness?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe if Derek Chauvin is found innocent. Riot, protesting, murders and looting will 10 times worse. It's not a good thing. But anyone with commonsense. will know it will be worse. If Derek Chauvin is found guilty. I believe huge parties will happen.

Interesting - I think there will be continued violence and destruction regardless of verdict. They will justify it regardless - we will see what happens.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
One woman's dog whistle seems to be another woman's lullaby.

And one man's dog whistle is another man's marching orders.

And if none of it advances to yelling fire in a theater where or what is the solution? Or is there none except evermore trading barbs until the next brouhaha bubbles up into our collective consciousness?

Good questions. We should all acknowledge that our words have consequences, and be mindful of the effect they have on others.

Alas, not everyone feels this is necessary, and worse, they seem to cheer on the ones who cause the most chaos.

Hence, why I am disappointed with Rep. Waters -- a person with her responsibilities should know better.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Which is odd to me considering that the jury is being sequestered, so they shouldn't even be aware of Rep. Water's statements.

Indeed -- the judge may be dropping a hint to the defense lawyers.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that she should be censured by the House.

I agree.

There's far too much pre-decision speculation as it is. A Congress woman should know better and be held to account for her words.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have never been sequestered, and have not been on a jury in a very long time. How do they ensure the jurors do not have access to news? Do they actually take their phones/tablets, stop incoming and outgoing calls and remove TVs/radios from the hotel rooms?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have never been sequestered, and have not been on a jury in a very long time. How do they ensure the jurors do not have access to news? Do they actually take their phones/tablets, stop incoming and outgoing calls and remove TVs/radios from the hotel rooms?

Yes.

Upvote 0