Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A second pieta displayed at the Catholic University of America’s law school that some see as depicting George Floyd in the place of Jesus was stolen the afternoon of Dec. 5.

“We have reported the crime, and we are working with the Metropolitan Police Department to investigate both this and the earlier theft of a larger print of the icon that was stolen Nov. 24,” university spokesperson Karna Lozoya said in a statement to CNA.

In her statement, Lozoya asked all members of the community to contact the university’s Department of Public Safety with any information about either theft.

The original, larger painting was the center of controversy after the depiction of Jesus was reported in the media in November.

The painting, by the St. Louis-based artist Kelly Latimore, is titled “Mama.” It was installed in February outside the chapel at the university’s Columbus School of Law. In a style reminiscent of Eastern Christian iconography, the artwork portrays a Black Virgin Mary and Jesus in a Pieta-like scene. Mary’s gaze looks outward towards the viewer.

Floyd, 46, was killed in police custody in May 2020, sparking nationwide protests. Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who kneeled on Floyd’s neck for more than 9 minutes, was later convicted on three charges of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. He was sentenced to 22 ½ years in prison.

Continued below.
Second ‘George Floyd’ Christ was stolen from Catholic University

Reactions: prodromos

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Seems like "the Potomac" is going to be full of these so-called icons. :D

I'm just surprised it took this long.
I like fire but I suppose water will do.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People do hate it when the notion of a white Jesus is challenged. Doesn't surprise me.
It might be more like Jesus being replaced by a career criminal. But if what you said helps you sleep at night…..

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟786,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It might be more like Jesus being replaced by a career criminal. But if what you said helps you sleep at night…..
Israelis are not white in the sense that Europeans are white, but a lot are light-skinned; look at Benjamin Netanyahu and the current prime minister. Jesus may not have been white in the European sense but who's to say he wasn't light-skinned like them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He said that he asked the School of Theology and Religious Studies to organize a conference in the spring “to explore the topic of sacred art and inculturation.” The conference will have experts and will include discussion on “issues surrounding the creation of artwork that is both culturally relevant and faithful to tenets of our faith.”

In the beginning of the email, Garvey wrote that the celebration of Christmas is about the mystery of God becoming man, while noting that “the reverse is not true: man cannot aspire to become God.”

He acknowledged that man becoming God “was the principal criticism” of the icon.

Continued below.
Catholic University President Apologizes for ‘Needless Controversy’ of Twice-Stolen Icon

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He said that he asked the School of Theology and Religious Studies to organize a conference in the spring “to explore the topic of sacred art and inculturation.” The conference will have experts and will include discussion on “issues surrounding the creation of artwork that is both culturally relevant and faithful to tenets of our faith.”

In the beginning of the email, Garvey wrote that the celebration of Christmas is about the mystery of God becoming man, while noting that “the reverse is not true: man cannot aspire to become God.”

He acknowledged that man becoming God “was the principal criticism” of the icon.

Continued below.
Catholic University President Apologizes for ‘Needless Controversy’ of Twice-Stolen Icon
I usually try to paint things with the rosiest colors I can think of, so initially I was thinking that theft is a sin, no matter what the motivation. I also thought that if the artist had not meant to portray George Floyd as Jesus, then this could just be a misinterpretation of what he was trying to convey. But Kelly Latimore's quotes in this article seem to point to his doing just that or maybe he just is so theologically unastute that he doesn't understand the implications. It was refreshing to see the Catholic University President try to make some amends for the issue.

If Mr. Latimore had just said that painting the Virgin Mary as black and holding a dead black man was a symbol for the Blessed Mother's compassion for all black men, then this whole controversy would have been turned on its head and people would be applauding his use of imagery to convey the innate dignity that all humans are endowed with by God and the way Our Mother weeps for those black men that die tragic deaths at too young an age. Maybe then we as a people could see that we are not that far apart and that as Christians we should stare truth in the face and work to overcome evil. Instead Mr. Latimore might have thought that a little controversy is never a bad thing for an artist and made divisive statements instead of inclusive ones.

Upvote 0