Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you commit sin are you still of God?

Yes or no

and discussion
1 John 3:8King James Version (KJV)
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

King James Version (KJV)

Comment: If you read the verses above this one we see this refers to continuous sin.

The bible describes those that turn away to be backsliders. Backsliding in the bible is presented as a slow process (and even in real life being in church I can tell you it's slow).

In other words if you commit a sin as long as you address that sin and turn away from it and don't go back and back you're good. As long as you don't allow sin and iniquity and stuff to build up and keep committing sin after sin after sin, but instead you present it to God as soon as possible you're good.

1 john 1:1

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

My answer: No because backsliding is a slow process and trust me not everyone starts out going up and up and up. Many as myself had certain sins we committed again and had to address, but becuase we addressed them right away we were able to get rid of them and move on before it was too late and continue on being christians.

After a period of time (this depends on the individual) you reach that sinless state. You stop having to go to God every month or whatever, for some that's right after being saved, for others that's some time during the first year in.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes or no

and discussion

Unless you are in The Garden and walking with God beside you, you are in a sinful condition.
If you don't see God standing next to you, you are a sinner.
Trust that Jesus paid for your sins, and you are saved.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the way i read scripture sin is any act, thought or deed that goes contrary to the nature and character of the Father.
So yes, its bad and wrong, but to God it is just foreign. He is not mad at you, just sad. He wants us all to recognize His true character and be so in love with Him that we act just like He would act and think and talk like He would think and talk.......just like Yeshua did.

Bless up!

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 John 3:8King James Version (KJV)
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

King James Version (KJV)

Comment: If you read the verses above this one we see this refers to continuous sin.

The bible describes those that turn away to be backsliders. Backsliding in the bible is presented as a slow process (and even in real life being in church I can tell you it's slow).

In other words if you commit a sin as long as you address that sin and turn away from it and don't go back and back you're good. As long as you don't allow sin and iniquity and stuff to build up and keep committing sin after sin after sin, but instead you present it to God as soon as possible you're good.

1 john 1:1

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

My answer: No because backsliding is a slow process and trust me not everyone starts out going up and up and up. Many as myself had certain sins we committed again and had to address, but becuase we addressed them right away we were able to get rid of them and move on before it was too late and continue on being christians.

After a period of time (this depends on the individual) you reach that sinless state. You stop having to go to God every month or whatever, for some that's right after being saved, for others that's some time during the first year in.

But remember John wrote

" He that committeth sin is of the devil;"

So to say no, is to go against the scripture John wrote. This affects many doctrines how people answer such questions.

If a person "commits" sin, they are not of God it is simple but a troubling to many

the word "committeth" means, "to make or do anything that you agree to in your mind, you are committed to that action. Any wilful sin knowingly done.

John also says in verse 6 some hard words for some to bear. He says.

"6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." (1 John 3:6 KJV)

the secret is to abide in Christ . If a man says he's in the light and walks in darkness he lies as John said in chapter 1.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the way i read scripture sin is any act, thought or deed that goes contrary to the nature and character of the Father.
So yes, its bad and wrong, but to God it is just foreign. He is not mad at you, just sad. He wants us all to recognize His true character and be so in love with Him that we act just like He would act and think and talk like He would think and talk.......just like Yeshua did.

Bless up!
God is angry at the wicked every day, His wrath is upon all unbelief and sin, he has pulled back his arrow ready

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless you are in The Garden and walking with God beside you, you are in a sinful condition.
If you don't see God standing next to you, you are a sinner.
Trust that Jesus paid for your sins, and you are saved.
Jesus Christ lives in every believer and His seed remaineth in us and we cannot sin as we abide in him. A good tree produces good fruit a corrupt tree produces corrupt fruit. A good tree cannot produce corrupt fruit and a corrupt tree cannot produce corrupt fruit. If e are in Christ we are living in and from the new creation in the spirit and the fruit of the spirit we will walk in, But if we yield to the flesh we are in the corrupt tree and the corrupt fruit of the flesh we will produce and die.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Yes or no

and discussion

I would ask for a definition of "commit sin" and "of God".

If you are asking - do Christians ever sin? The answer is absolutely yes. Christ's commandments were summed up as

1. Love God with ALL of your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and
2. Love your neighbor as yourself

We are all failing at keeping these perfectly all the time. And if we are missing the mark, we are by definition sinning. So therefore, Christians sin all the time.

Now, if you mean those overt kinds of sins, like stealing, murder, lying, fornication, well, a person who habitually commits these needs to carefully examine himself as he may very likely find he isn't in the faith at all.

In between, you find things like gossip, bitterness, envy, irritation when people get in our way, and things like that. Those are things many are still working on (hopefully they know to work on them!), with the help of God.

We should be growing in the likeness of Christ, having Christ formed in us, day by day. Some refer to this as "sanctification", but for us, it is just part of the process. :)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would ask for a definition of "commit sin" and "of God".

If you are asking - do Christians ever sin? The answer is absolutely yes. Christ's commandments were summed up as

1. Love God with ALL of your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and
2. Love your neighbor as yourself

We are all failing at keeping these perfectly all the time. And if we are missing the mark, we are by definition sinning. So therefore, Christians sin all the time.

Now, if you mean those overt kinds of sins, like stealing, murder, lying, fornication, well, a person who habitually commits these needs to carefully examine himself as he may very likely find he isn't in the faith at all.

In between, you find things like gossip, bitterness, envy, irritation when people get in our way, and things like that. Those are things many are still working on (hopefully they know to work on them!), with the help of God.

John says "whosoever committeth sin is of the devil", so to commit is to do any action you agree upon wilfully, to give yourself to do it. This kind of sin is not sins of ignorance, but wilful, presumptuous sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Believers Are The Righteous Of God In Christ. (Rom 3:22)

Jesus is called the Light of the World. In Him is no darkness, only brilliant, glorious light. The good news of the gospel is that when we receive the free gift of God's grace, and we put our Faith in the Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, hath """he removed""" our transgressions from us

Believer's are completely cleansed from "all unrighteousness" and "forgiven from ALL our sin".

You will never be judged for your sins. Jesus took ALL your judgment on the cross!

Romans 8:1 say's therefore now "No Condemnation" to them which are in Christ Jesus.

Our adversary, satan, is called the accuser of the brethren. His aim is to continually bring accusations against us that would somehow cause us to feel ashamed, turn away and hide from God. Just like Adam & Eve did in Genesis 3:8

When you hear these accusing voices. Declare and Proclaim the Finished Work in the Blood of Jesus Christ. For it is the cleansing power of "Jesus Blood" (Matt 26:28, Heb 10:3-4 & Heb 9:14)

Its Christ payment for our sins. And "His Blood" removes our past sins, our present sins and our future sins. You can rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ. On the cross when, Jesus cried "It is Finished". He meant it!

Rejoice, In the New Covenant, righteousness is a gift (Rom 5:17).

It is not something that we can earn. It is called the righteousness of God because Jesus kept the law and when we trust/beleve/receive Him. Jesus takes away ALL your sins. & imputes to us His righteousness to us (Rom 10:3 & Phil 3:9).

It is given by God's Grace (unmerited/unearned/Pardon) and received by Faith in the Finished Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:10 For in that "Christ died" """he died unto sin once""" but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
(CHRIST WAS SINLESS 1 Pet 2:22, 2 Cor 5:21, Heb 4:15, 1 Jn 3:5. CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR HIS OWN SINS. HE DIES ONCE FOR EVERY SIN: PAST-PRESENT-FUTURE. THAT EVERY BELIEVER EVER COMMITTS)

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the """gift""" of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(THE "GIFT" OF GOD. A GIFT IS GIVEN NOT EARNED.)

Ephesians 2:8 By grace are ye saved through faith "not of yourselves it is the """gift""" of God
(AGAIN, THE "GIFT" OF GOD. A GIFT IS GIVEN NOT EARNED.)

Romans 11:29 The """gifts""" & the calling of God are """irrevocable"""
(GOD DOESN'T WITHDRAW WHAT HE HAS GIVEN, NOR DOES HE CHANGE HIS MIND, ABOUT THOSE TO WHOM HE HAS GIVEN HIS GRACE OR TO WHOM HE SENDS HIS CALL)

Christ finished the work of redemption. Rejoice You're Forgiven.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 3:6 any comments?

6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him."

does this mean when you sin you cannot claim to know jesus or ever have known him?

I believe yes it does. Johns words are very bold here

When I sin, at the time I am in sin I cannot claim to be in Christ and walking in him or to know him or have ever known him in that state. I am in the flesh when I sin, and God does not know us in the flesh, but to know him in the spirit is to walk in that life of Christ. If we put on Christ God sees Christ righteousness not ours, if we put off Christ or walk in darkness and not in the light. Then God sees the old man. God can say to a person who was once in the light and had put on Christ and then who died in their sin and unbelief, that he never knew them. God knows us in Christ. In the flesh he does not know us eternally.

Think of person who has white linen over their face and you know then in that state, then they take off the white linen and you see them in the flesh. You would say I don't know you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8:1 say's therefore now "No Condemnation" to them which are in Christ Jesus.

"who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit.
"

the question still stands if you commit sin are you of God or of the devil. John says whosoever committeth sin is of the devil. To say no we are not of the devil when we commit sin contradicts Johns words.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believers Are The Righteous Of God In Christ. (Rom 3:22)

Jesus is called the Light of the World. In Him is no darkness,

So if you are in him you should be walking in the light. If you say you are in the light and walk in darkness you lie as John said. So if a believer commits sin and says they are in Christ they lie. Christ is not the minister of sin. John says they are of the devil.

John speak strong words

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes or no

and discussion

If you commit sin you fail to observe the law, for sin is transgression of the law:

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law, rather through the law we become conscious of sin
Rom3:20

BTW

All christians commit sin, for none will attain to sinless perfection on this earth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So if you are in him you should be walking in the light. If you say you are in the light and walk in darkness you lie as John said. So if a believer commits sin and says they are in Christ they lie. Christ is not the minister of sin. John says they are of the devil.

John speak strong words

Eph 1:13 "In whom" ye also trusted (CHRIST), after that ye heard the word of truth (HIS SIN ATONING SACRIFICE), the gospel of your salvation (1 Cor 15:1-4 & Rom 10:8-13) "in whom" also after that ye believed (WHEN U ACCEPTED GODS GRACE & PLACED UR FAITH IN CHRIST), ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise. (UR SALVATION WAS SEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT)

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
(Earnest means deposit: When we trusted Christ, God placed His Holy Spirit in us)

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
(The gives/places His Holy Spirit in us as a down payment)

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
(The Holy Spirit we see in Eph 1:13 sealed us. And now & forever dwells "IN" us)

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
(The Spirit of God dwells "INSIDE" us)

2 Timothy 1:14 14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
(The Holy Spirit "SEAL" that was committed to keep & protect us. Lives "INSIDE" us)

Believers IN CHRIST we are SEALED Forgiven, Reconciled, Justified & Have Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7 Little children,
let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God
doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Jesus destroys the works of the devil and he will give us victory as we abide in him. If we abide in him we can do all things. Jesus tells us to abide in him, for without him we can do nothing, but in him we can do all things and be free from sin as Paul speaks of in Romans also.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you commit sin you fail to observe the law, for sin is transgression of the law:

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law, rather through the law we become conscious of sin

BTW

All christians commit sin, for none will attain to sinless perfection on this earth

paul said we speak wisdom among then that are perfect, and perfecting the saints is the work of ministry.

also John is not speaking of the mosaic law there. When a person goes against the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus they also sin.

John says whosoever committeth sin is of the devil. Tis is clear words. To say , no we are not of the devil if we commit sin, is false.

I chose to believe John not mens doctrines

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
John says "whosoever committeth sin is of the devil", so to commit is to do any action you agree upon wilfully, to give yourself to do it. This kind of sin is not sins of ignorance, but wilful, presumptuous sin.

That's why I said definitions are important.

I attend a Greek Church, and we speak of ἁμαρτία - which involves "missing the mark" or "making an error". It is not only "breaking the law" but it does include that.

We do understand different kinds of sin, of thought, word, deed, attitude, both known and unknown sin, sins in what we do, sins in what we fail to do, sins in what we simply are. It is a complex thing.

So it depends on what kind of sin you talking about. That's why I answered as I did. :)

God desires to heal all sin, but some will not happen during this life in the flesh.

• Winner
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

BTW

BTW

We've all broken God's law. No one can say he is not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of the law.

Sin's required payment/judgment is death Rom 6:23. A sinless Jesus willing sacrifice. Fulfilled/met, covered, cleansed & paid the laws requirement for & removes all our sin. Once our sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law

And thru belief the Sin Atoning Sacrificial Death, Burial & Resurrection of Christ. We are no longer under the law. We are now under grace.

Romans 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Upvote 0