If you commit sin are you still of God? Yes or no

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
We are human and cannot live perfectly therefore we will sin. The above verse is referring to continuous intentional sin. I'm assuming if we are one with God we are not trying to purposely continue to sin.
Well said. Please ignore LOT on his Greek claim. He does not know what he is talking about. You are correct in your understanding. LOT is not. I've quit debating him directly on his point and have gone on to support those who have a correct understanding of this. I've have lead LOT to the various Greek texts that support your understanding including using Greek texts he supports. They all confirm your understanding. Don't let him sway you. He is in error.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In my bible righteousnes is credited apart from works
You are correct. Righteousness is accredited apart from works. However it also tells us that works is a natural outcome of our righteousness. We do not become righteous because of works, we do works because of our righteousness. I have a sneaking suspicion you agree with that.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The final resurrection of the dead is based on works, or have you not read,

And the sea gave up the dead who were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them; and each of them were judged according to their works. (Revelation 20:13 [BLB])

So obviously an unborn baby does not have works to judge, as such, when an unborn baby dies an unborn baby perishes. And neither do they participate in the first resurrection, for an unborn baby does not believe, nor bear fruit, nor perform actions worthy of the first resurrection to rule on the earth with Jesus Christ.

I haven't read all your posts and don't intend to at this point so forgive me if I misunderstand what you are saying. We are judged by what we have done in order to receive rewards. We are not judged by what we have done in order to receive eternal reward or eternal punishment.

Then anyone whose name wasn’t found written in the scroll of life was thrown into the fiery lake. - Revelation 20:15 Bible Gateway passage: Revelation 20:15 - Common English Bible

There are other passages that show us this. Jesus himself said this with his parables and so did Paul.

James was clear on this that works is a result if righteousness and not the cause. Jesus imputes his righteousness to us and if we are indeed in Christ we will do works of righteousness. Some will do more and some will do less.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
1 John 2:1 said that if we commit sin, we have an Advocate with the Father. (No mention of repentance) Why? I believe John just said it earlier.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. (again, no mention of repentance)

John is NOT talking about willful sin for which He is our advocate!!!! He is not an advocate of rebellion against God, which is what willful, known sin is? If we willfully sin, we must REPENT in order to be forgiven. Call that a work if you like, but it is the truth. With each willful sin we overcome and not return to, we become more and more like Jesus, and the closer we become to continuously walking in the light.

Last edited:
Upvote 0