If you commit sin are you still of God? Yes or no

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and so when a person sins even a believer, they go against the law, and the law of the Spirit which is love. If a man hates his brother John says he is a murderer. And no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. He is no longer in eternal life is he hates. And so he has committed sin and is not of God at that time.

when we sin we are convicted of God and humbled and if we repent and turn to the Lord in faith we are cleansed. Simple really.

But Jesus says to abide in him and if we abide in him we sin not as John says. 1 John 3:6

when we sin we cannot claim to be in him, for in him is no sin.
I was raised by loving parents. As a child I broke their rules at times. Between the time I broke their rules and said sorry for doing so, was I in danger of being thrown out of the family home? Never!

It seems you believe God loves his children less than parents love their kids.
That's a warped sense of God in my view

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have spread responded tob1 john 3:6

If I join a church and claim to be a christian but then have multiple affairs I never was a christian in the first place.

Be careful what you write
The measure you use to judge other will be used yo judge you.

Are you claiming to be sinless?
I live in these verses as I abide in Christ. This is clear scripture, consider

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."

"14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." (Romans 6:14,15 KJV)

"7 For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Romans 6:7 KJV)

"18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." ( Romans 6:18 KJV)

"6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not:"( 1 John 3:6 KJV)

"9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." ( 1 John 3:9 KJV)

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
actually if your interpretation of that verse is true you and everyone else are indeed going to hell because we all sin.

the alternative is to believe 1 john 2:1 and romans 8:1 and understand that those who pursue righteousness will stumble along the way.
Not if I repent and abide in Christ walking in the spirit in faith sowing to the spirit and yielding to the Spirit to mortify the deeds of the body.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John simply says "sin". He attaches the word "committeth sin", which means to do an action that you agree upon, or to willfully do it and give yourself over to that action. To commit yourself to an action. If a man for example looks at a woman and she is naked, he may not be lusting in his heart, but if he lust in his heart and would be with her if he could, he has already committed adultery with her in his heart and sinned.
I guess I was not clear. I was assuming one was suggesting a person "not of God" is not "saved" and responded accordingly. This reply suggests perhaps I have no clue what you want to talk about.
If the idea is can Christian sin, the Apostle Saint John is very clear that yes we can. Many Christians, including myself, believe we can sin so badly that if we do not seek forgiveness for doing so, we risk our eternal fate.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was raised by loving parents. As a child I broke their rules at times. Between the time I broke their rules and said sorry for doing so, was I in danger of being thrown out of the family home? Never!

It seems you believe God loves his children less than parents love their kids.
That's a warped sense of God in my view
a human argument, stay with scripture

when the prodigal son was out of his home the father said he was dead, when he repented and came back home he was alive again.

Jesus says every branch in him that abides not is cast forth

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I live in these verses as iI abide in Christ. This is clear scripture, consider

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."

"14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." (Romans 6:14,15 KJV)

"18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." ( Romans 6:18 KJV)

"9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." ( 1 John 3:9 KJV)

Your problem is, you ignore multiple verses that show the truth of the message.

But rom 6:14 is brilliant

Sin shall not be your master for you are not under law but under grace.

However, you believe the christian is under law.
If they fail to obey it they will be cast into hell.
But you don't realise you oppose Paul's message

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess I was not clear. I was assuming one was suggesting a person "not of God" is not "saved" and responded accordingly. This reply suggests perhaps I have no clue what you want to talk about.
If the idea is can Christian sin, the Apostle Saint John is very clear that yes we can. Many Christians, including myself, believe we can sin so badly that if we do not seek forgiveness for doing so, we risk our eternal fate.
yes this is the question, when a christian commits sins (or anyone) are they of the devil as John says, or are they of God as mans doctrine says?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and so when a person sins even a believer, they go against the law, and the law of the Spirit which is love. If a man hates his brother John says he is a murderer. And no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. He is no longer in eternal life is he hates. And so he has committed sin and is not of God at that time.

when we sin we are convicted of God and humbled and if we repent and turn to the Lord in faith we are cleansed. Simple really.

But Jesus says to abide in him and if we abide in him we sin not as John says. 1 John 3:6

when we sin we cannot claim to be in him, for in him is no sin.
Yes, but at same time Saint John clearly says we continue to sin - so the renewal by God's Grace offered is an on going process.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a human argument, stay with scripture

when the prodigal son was out of his home the father said he was dead, when he repented and came back home he was alive again.

Jesus says every branch in him that abides not is cast forth
Stay with scripture?
Do you mean that?

Therefore no one will be declare righteous in his sight by observing the law
Rom3:20

How many verses saying the same thing shall I quote?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your problem is, you ignore multiple verses that show the truth of the message.

But rom 6:14 is brilliant

Sin shall not be your master for you are not under law but under grace.

However, you believe the christian is under law.
If they fail to obey it they will be cast into hell.
But you don't realise you oppose Paul's message
I didn't say we are under the law. But all believers are not without law to God. Paul said the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death. So walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Believers are dead to the law and free from the law, and we read of the end of the law and we are not under the law etc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UpandDown

Oct 29, 2016
USA
✟15,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you commit sin are you still of God?

Yes or no

and discussion

"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness than to have known it and turned away from the holy commandment passed on to them."

2 Peter 2:20

I believe 2 Peter 2:20 is the reason Jesus told the story of a man who started to build a house without counting the cost!
If we accept Christ, but then TURN away back to our sinful ways, it will be far worse for us then the unsaved.

"The one who is (victorious) will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life,"

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"
(((----> work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"))

Pretty straight forward to me! Grace covers a slip-up. But you walk away from GOD when you continue to practice sin and it will be worse for you then the unsaved. Pretty scary!
God's warning is all through His Word.

To those who "DON'T TURN BACK"
To those who "ENDURE TO THE END"
To those who "Keep their hands to the plow"
To those who "OVERCOME"
The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white

As Jesus warned, COUNT THE COST before building a house!"

We aren't FORCED to accept Christ, and we aren't Enslaved and Forced to stay with Christ to the end. While it's not about WORKS that saves us, we CAN choose to turn and walk away from God. God doesn't take anything back, we WALK AWAY FROM IT, just as 2 Peter 20 says CAN and DOES happen.

Thus the reason to HOLD FAST, OVERCOME, ENDURE, and work out our salvation with FEAR and TREMBLING.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not if I repent and abide in Christ walking in the spirit in faith sowing to the spirit and yielding to the Spirit to mortify the deeds of the body.

nope, the verses you keep bringing up say "sin not". no mess ups, no mulligans. it's all or nothing.

is Paul in hell? romans 7:13-25

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yes this is the question, when a christian commits sins (or anyone) are they of the devil as John says, or are they of God as mans doctrine says?
Rom1:17, rom3:20, rom3:21&22, rom3:28, phil3:9, rom10:4

I can give you another twenty I you like.
I'm on a Mobile so cant copy/ paste them

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but at same time Saint John clearly says we continue to sin - so the renewal by God's Grace offered is an on going process.
John wrote what he did that they "sin not", not that they would continue to sin. He said if we sin and confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins. But John says clearly not to be deceived if a man commits sin he is of the devil, not of God. This includes any man. Very convicting words from John. This book is perhaps one of the more convicting ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in these verses as I abide in Christ. This is clear scripture, consider

I John 1:8=10

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John wrote what he did that they "sin not", not that they would continue to sin. He said if we sin and confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins. But John says clearly not to be deceived if a man commits sin he is of the devil, not of God. This includes any man. Very convicting words from John. This book is perhaps one of the more convicting ones.
1 John 1:8-10
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say we are under the law. But all believers are not without law to God. Paul said the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death. So walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Believers are dead to the law and free from the law, and we read of the end of the law and we are not under the law etc
You must be under a law of righteousness if sin can condemn you, for sin is transgression of the law.

Do you not see that?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rom1:17, rom3:20, rom3:21&22, rom3:28, phol3:9, rom10:4

I can give you another twenty I you like.
I'm on a Mobil so cant copy/ padte them

Rom 1:17

yes The just shall live by faith. I agree and as we continue n the faith. But some can be hardened through sin and depart from God through and evil heart of unbelief Hebrews 3:12 etc

and yes Romans 3 i agree also, none of these things fight against 1 John 3:6-9

how do you understand 1 John 3:6?

it seems many simply ignore it it is so bold and convicting

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟168,109.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 John 1:8-10
yes all have a sin nature, and if any say they don't they lie, and yes all who have had sin revive ( Rom 7:9) die spiritually and have sinned, even infants who have not sinned by transgression have a sin nature and so fall short of the glory of God.

But for all this John says we cannot sin if we abide in Christ. He doesn't say we have not sinned past. But we cannot in the present sin if we abide in Christ. Because Christ will give the victory and destroy the works of the devil. As Jesus is so are his children in this world. If a person claims to be in Christ and walks in wilful darkness in committing sin he is not in the light according to John

Upvote 0