Al Najaf, Iraq
✟7,721.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
"Real Christians will be Calvinists."
"No genuine Christian will be Arminian."

Comments like this plauged me before I was what I consider truly sola scriptura. The comments, as posted above, spoke a belief that those who are new creatures in Christ will be Reformed. One phrase heard was "It may take some time, but it will only take a little time!"

The questions I want to raise with y'all Reformed folks are these:

1) Do you believe one can be saved and yet an Arminian?
2) If the answer is yes, how should we respond and act towards our brethern who follow those teachings?
3) What beliefs damn your soul? (kinda off topic)

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abruer17 said:
Sounds like hyper-calvinism.....

Yes.

2) If the answer is yes, how should we respond and act towards our brethern who follow those teachings?
With grace as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Trick question. Beliefs do not condemn you. We stand condemned by default in our unregenerate state.

As for doctrines to watch out for:
Any kind of works-based salvation. This would include the extreme arminist position.

Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

Bro. Gabriel

Sinner
Mar 15, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟430.00
Faith
Baptist
Justification by works or merit, is, indeed, heresy in my opinion. I think we should be willing to firmly but gently let people who have bought into this trash (that rapes God of rightful glory) know where they are wrong and why, for the sake of redemption and God's proper glory.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bro. Gabriel,

Very well said. Allow me to add a little if I may:
Without exception, all the Christian cults and other world religions teach a works-based salvation. Biblical Christianity stands alone in the doctrine of grace.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knight said:
Sounds like hyper-calvinism.....

Yes.

With grace as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Trick question. Beliefs do not condemn you. We stand condemned by default in our unregenerate state.

As for doctrines to watch out for:
Any kind of works-based salvation. This would include the extreme arminist position.

Good Day, Knight

Ditto!:clap:
Bill

Reactions: Knight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ClementofRome said:
Seriously, and all joking aside....that was a concise, direct and biblical response to the question, brother.
You'll find that I rarely put joking aside. (Trying to debunk the idea of the stick-up-the-rear Calvinist.)

Regardless, thank you for your comments (and humor.:))

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Abruer17 said:

Comments like this plauged me before I was what I consider truly sola scriptura. The comments, as posted above, spoke a belief that those who are new creatures in Christ will be Reformed. One phrase heard was "It may take some time, but it will only take a little time!"

I was saved for 25 years before I became a Calvinist.

I am not saved because I am a Calvinist , I am saved because of the grace and mercy of God .

The fact that many of our beloved Christian brethren do not accept that they repented and believed because God chose them , and not that He chose them because they repented and believed has nothing to do with their salvation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1)Doctrine does not save, God does by grace.

3)There is only one belief that damns, and that is the belief that Christ is not sent to save those who believe.

Spurgeon said:
Now, observe, that this "whosoever" makes a grand sweep; for it encircles all degrees of faith. "Whosoever believeth in him." It may be that he has no full assurance; it may be that he has no assurance at all; but if he has faith, true and childlike, by it he shall be saved. Though his faith be so little that I must needs put on my spectacles to see it, yet Christ will see it and reward it. His faith is such a tiny grain of mustard seed that I look and look again but hardly discern it, and yet it brings him eternal life, and it is itself a living thing. The Lord can see within that mustard seed a tree among whose branches the birds of the air shall make their nests.
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/1850.htm

Upvote 0