If the Bible is infallible, why do so many Christians disagree on theology?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I dont believe bread and wine saves anyone. I dont believe Jesus becomes bread and wine so we can eat Him. I believe this is symbolic language spoken by the Lord. He almost always talked in parables and symbolism. The bread from heaven must be the word and the Holy Spirit.
It's not what you believe, it is what it is.

Upvote 0

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont believe bread and wine saves anyone. I dont believe Jesus becomes bread and wine so we can eat Him. I believe this is symbolic language spoken by the Lord. He almost always talked in parables and symbolism. The bread from heaven must be the word and the Holy Spirit.

Here is a whole study on John 6. - Transubstantiation Unsubstantiated Substantially :P

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not what you believe, it is what it is.
Its symbolic language. Just as we wont really have a river coming out of our innermost being, we also wont actually be eating the Lords flesh and blood.

John 7:37 g]If anyone is thirsty, [h]let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
See title. See, like if it was just a thing here or thing there...this probably wouldn't bother me...but no, it's like on every single biblical teaching people are divided over...EVEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF....About the only one the vast majority of Christians agree on is Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to save you from your sins...but after that...there is virtually no unity on theology...so how can anyone believe when nobody is sure of the correct belief, while still teaching it as flawless?

Because it is by design.

We have been told that many people will run to and fro, but the Truth is sealed for the remnant/elect/wise ones. There must be a falling away, a discord in the house. Essentially, nothing has changed with [organized] religion since Christ walked the earth as Son of Man.

When the time comes, everyone who has been sealed will know the Truth, and will operate in union with the Most High God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
See title. See, like if it was just a thing here or thing there...this probably wouldn't bother me...but no, it's like on every single biblical teaching people are divided over...EVEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF....About the only one the vast majority of Christians agree on is Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to save you from your sins...but after that...there is virtually no unity on theology...so how can anyone believe when nobody is sure of the correct belief, while still teaching it as flawless?
I think there are a lot of reasons.

First, many people just believe what they are taught.

Most don’t want to take the time to study or learn when they can have someone tell them what they should believe.

Other times it is because people are at different points in their spiritual growth. As Paul said, he wished that people would grow to desire meat (or more substantial knowledge) but many are happy with milk (basic knowledge of Christ and scripture).

Some people figure God is God and as long as you believe it doesn’t matter what your theology is.

Others have theological disagreements about what it is saying.

There’s a lot of reasons

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, we don't. Ever. Why would the doctrine of OSAS result in no free will or being robots?

Because it forces someone to stay, you see life happens and sometimes people want to leave. Your position puts forward that a person must absolutely must be saved all the time. At anytime a person can leave they are not forced to stay. OSAS is slavery not Salvation

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe His word is what we feed on. Jesus told Peter to feed His sheep. He meant feed them the word. The word is symbolized by meat and milk.

Isaiah 55 “Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;
And you who have no [a]money come, buy and eat.
Come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without cost.
2 “Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And delight yourself in abundance.

John 6:27 Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”
That last one is exactly the point. Food that perishes is earthly, such as manna. Food which endures to eternal life is Jesus Himself, which the Son of Man gives us.

One thing I notice with you, and most Protestants. It's always "I" believe. Catholics are humble enough to realize that "I" don't have the answers, but "We", the Body of Christ, with Jesus the Head of the Body, the Church are guided by the Holy Spirit when it comes to our faith.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You know what? I don't believe bread and wine saves anyone, too. But what we partake of at Mass is NOT bread and wine, but the Divine Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ. There's nowhere in Scripture where the Word is bread from heaven. Or the Holy Spirit, for that matter. We feed on the Word Spiritually, not physically. But the food we eat passes through us. The Body of Christ is different.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because it forces someone to stay, you see life happens and sometimes people want to leave. Your position puts forward that a person must absolutely must be saved all the time. At anytime a person can leave they are not forced to stay. OSAS is slavery not Salvation
I cannot picture anyone standing before the Lord, when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord, a saved slave to OSAS, asking God on Judgement Day to send them to hell.

Call me crazy :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I cannot picture anyone standing before the Lord, when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord, a saved slave to OSAS, asking God on Judgement Day to send them to hell.

Call me crazy :sorry:
You know as well as I do that God doesn't send anyone to hell. We do it ourselves.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know what? I don't believe bread and wine saves anyone, too. But what we partake of at Mass is NOT bread and wine, but the Divine Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ. There's nowhere in Scripture where the Word is bread from heaven. Or the Holy Spirit, for that matter. We feed on the Word Spiritually, not physically. But the food we eat passes through us. The Body of Christ is different.
-How come the body of the Lord still looks like bread and wine when you eat it?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That last one is exactly the point. Food that perishes is earthly, such as manna. Food which endures to eternal life is Jesus Himself, which the Son of Man gives us.

One thing I notice with you, and most Protestants. It's always "I" believe. Catholics are humble enough to realize that "I" don't have the answers, but "We", the Body of Christ, with Jesus the Head of the Body, the Church are guided by the Holy Spirit when it comes to our faith.
I know that bread is not actually flesh and wine is not actually blood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
-How come the body of the Lord still looks like bread and wine when you eat it?
That's a mystery. But in several instances, the Lord has blessed us by showing Himself to us. Google Lanciano, for one.
You want to see it with our human eyes. God wants us to see with the eyes of faith.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a mystery. But in several instances, the Lord has blessed us by showing Himself to us. Google Lanciano, for one.
You want to see it with our human eyes. God wants us to see with the eyes of faith.
Its no mystery, its just bread and wine.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know that bread is not actually flesh and wine is not actually blood.
Are you trying to say that the God of the Universe, who cannot be contained, yet showed Himself to us in the person of a child can't show Himself to us as bread and wine?
The God of the Universe can do anything He wishes to do. He can change hearts. He can make the blind see. He can perform a miracle in us every day. He can come to us so that we may do as He asked us to do. Take this, all of you, and eat it. This is my body, which is for you.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Its no mystery, its just bread and wine.
Your human eyes tell you that. But those who have doubted that it was really His body and blood have been shown different.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you trying to say that the God of the Universe, who cannot be contained, yet showed Himself to us in the person of a child can't show Himself to us as bread and wine?
The God of the Universe can do anything He wishes to do. He can change hearts. He can make the blind see. He can perform a miracle in us every day. He can come to us so that we may do as He asked us to do. Take this, all of you, and eat it. This is my body, which is for you.
No im saying he wouldnt do that. Its symbolic only.

Upvote 0