If the Bible is infallible, why do so many Christians disagree on theology?

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
See title. See, like if it was just a thing here or thing there...this probably wouldn't bother me...but no, it's like on every single biblical teaching people are divided over...EVEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF....About the only one the vast majority of Christians agree on is Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to save you from your sins...but after that...there is virtually no unity on theology...so how can anyone believe when nobody is sure of the correct belief, while still teaching it as flawless?

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because individual biblical interpretations are not infallible.
But if the Bible is infallible wouldn't it be easier to understand?

Infallible doesn't necessarily mean completely 100% easy to understand, but there most definitely should be sound logical teaching that a wide number of people can agree on.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
See title. See, like if it was just a thing here or thing there...this probably wouldn't bother me...but no, it's like on every single biblical teaching people are divided over...EVEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF....About the only one the vast majority of Christians agree on is Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to save you from your sins...but after that...there is virtually no unity on theology...so how can anyone believe when nobody is sure of the correct belief, while still teaching it as flawless?
imo,
People aren't flawless, no matter how much they claim to be, no matter how much Holy Spirit guidance they say they have.
That doesn't mean that God's Word, in it's original autographs was not the perfect, flawless, Word.
Even the scriptures that we have today, in the oldest MSS, are almost flawless. If they are put side by side, there is very, very little difference and those differences don't change the Gospel or the types and shadows that point to the Christ in the OT.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Of the some two billion or so nominally to devout Christians in greater Christianity between 1.5 to 1.8 billion do agree. That leaves a lot of people out there stirring the pot.

If I can have a minute, this will make sense.

The bible has been read, out loud, in the original apostolic Churches since the beginning. The tradition comes from the tradition of the Jewish synagogues. The bible has no secrets. Everyone has heard what is in it. Then along comes Gutenberg and the printing press, along with the protestant reformation, and over time there were bibles everywhere and everyone had their own opinions on what it meant. Well the Church has always known what it meant and certainly doesn't need a swarm of laymen saying it means something entirely different.

In 1672 a Synod was held by the Orthodox Church in response to the reformation. This is one of their findings:

"We believe the Divine and Sacred Scriptures to be God-taught; and, therefore, we ought to believe the same without doubting; yet not otherwise than as the Catholic Church has interpreted and delivered the same. For every foul heresy accepts the Divine Scriptures, but perversely interprets the same, using metaphors, and homonymies, and sophistries of man’s wisdom, confounding what ought to be distinguished, and trifling with what ought not to be trifled with. For if [we were to accept Scriptures] otherwise, each man holding every day a different sense concerning them, the Catholic Church would not by the grace of Christ continue to be the Church until this day, holding the same doctrine of faith, and always identically and steadfastly believing. But rather she would be torn into innumerable parties, and subject to heresies."

Today this prophecy is fulfilled before your eyes, so to say.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Christianity has a very long history. Many many things happened throughout history and impacted "beliefs". There certainly is not a simple short answer. However, I would encourage you to study the bible yourself. Do so topically because it will give you a broad overview on topics that are of interest to you. Here is a good resource where you can run word and/or phrase searches (www.biblehub.com). There is no better book to study from than the Holy Bible itself and in fact it is our personal responsibility to make sure what is being taught is true ... and the truth is measured by Gods Holy Word. Otherwise, yes, it becomes very daunting. However, if one diligently studies His Word, no doubt understanding will come along with it in doing so. Always pray for the Holy Spirit to lead you to the truth.

Here is an enormous amount of history on christianity:

Christianity - Wikipedia

Proverbs 2:1-6

1 My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— 3 indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

May the Lord bless all through his Holy Word. Amen

Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of the some two billion or so nominally to devout Christians in greater Christianity between 1.5 to 1.8 billion do agree. That leaves a lot of people out there stirring the pot.

If I can have a minute, this will make sense.

The bible has been read, out loud, in the original apostolic Churches since the beginning. The tradition comes from the tradition of the Jewish synagogues. The bible has no secrets. Everyone has heard what is in it. Then along comes Gutenberg and the printing press, along with the protestant reformation, and over time there were bibles everywhere and everyone had their own opinions on what it meant. Well the Church has always known what it meant and certainly doesn't need a swarm of laymen saying it means something entirely different.

In 1672 a Synod was held by the Orthodox Church in response to the reformation. This is one of their findings:

"We believe the Divine and Sacred Scriptures to be God-taught; and, therefore, we ought to believe the same without doubting; yet not otherwise than as the Catholic Church has interpreted and delivered the same. For every foul heresy accepts the Divine Scriptures, but perversely interprets the same, using metaphors, and homonymies, and sophistries of man’s wisdom, confounding what ought to be distinguished, and trifling with what ought not to be trifled with. For if [we were to accept Scriptures] otherwise, each man holding every day a different sense concerning them, the Catholic Church would not by the grace of Christ continue to be the Church until this day, holding the same doctrine of faith, and always identically and steadfastly believing. But rather she would be torn into innumerable parties, and subject to heresies."

Today this prophecy is fulfilled before your eyes, so to say.

I hope this helps answer your question.

So to be clear, are you saying that the Catholics have the original and only true teaching?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So to be clear, are you saying that the Catholics have the original and only true teaching?

I know it says the Catholic Church, but not what we now know as the Catholic Church. Catholic means "universal" so catholic in this case means Universal Church. That was written by what is today the Orthodox Church.

If you ask me what I believe I will tell you that the original apostolic Churches, those being the Churches founded by the apostles, have the right interpretation, even though they disagree on other things.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if the Bible is infallible wouldn't it be easier to understand?

Infallible doesn't necessarily mean completely 100% easy to understand, but there most definitely should be sound logical teaching that a wide number of people can agree on.

Consider if this is easy to understand --

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,h let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers,i what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
-- Matthew 5 ESV

Do you agree it's clear?

But... ...it is not easy to understand if one never reads nor hears it.

The clear commands from Christ are sometimes uncomfortable to us when we aren't yet doing them.

So, therefore, there is a strong temptation to pay attention to the central and crucial truth of Ephesians 2:8-9 and then block and stop further learning, even to present these verses in isolation, and to carefully avoid noticing verse 10 --

1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the bodya and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.b 4 Butc God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2 ESV

Verse 10 can be understood even more fully if one reads something like John chapter 15.

But we have a more fundamental problem --

Verse 10 is often entirely missing in some churches. How can one know this truth in verse 10 if one does not read or hear it?

So, the problem is not at all that the Bible is hard to understand clearly, but that men don't want to. Because of this, many will face the outcome in Matthew 7:26-27.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In the garden of Eden prior to sin entering humans, that is what GOD wanted for the human race and will have it again in the kingdom of heaven.

So what was the sin in the Garden of Eden, disobedience to the WORD of GOD.

This is reaffirmed in the words of JESUS.
John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Bible def of Sin
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Disobedience is sin.

And here is the results of disobedience
Matthew 7:13-15 King James Version (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 7:21-23 King James Version (KJV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Do you keep all the commandments of GOD or only nine of them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Think about it, people chose what books the Bible should include and this happened when some thought books like the Apocalypse of Peter were cannon and books like Hebrews were not. It is because a single man is infallible? No, but the Church is.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In various places, God told each of us to figure it out for ourselves. He never said to go to one man or even to a committee for the answers. Do you honestly think the Bible was written as a "manual" that so many doctrines have rewritten it into? A manual so that we would wave the "proper" hand at a certain time, or put the "correct" incense into a sensor to be technically swung a certain way, or wear the correct robes to prove we are in command of a service?

I firmly believe the Bible says that even though you may have thought and done things one way, and I did them in a totally different way, God will read each of our hearts and determine if we did "His Will." And I think, in most cases, He will decide we did exactly right.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is a non sequitur, a conclusion which does not follow. The premise is that if something is clear, it is comprehensible. That is not true. Even something seemingly as simple as the verse you quoted is actually quite complex, can not be easily comprehended, as shown by the study and discussion it provoked in the Bible itself, because of dependencies, contexts, what the condition was, which the word "neighbour" depended on:

Luke 10:29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

Similarly, there are many other dependencies on several words in different teachings which will influence interpretation, and formation of doctrine, right or wrong, depending on which context you understand needs to be chosen. Or ignored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0