• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Icons...

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by simonthezealot, Oct 18, 2011.

1. simonthezealot

simonthezealot have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?

+1,560
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Right on! any attempt to symbolize the supremacy of Christ as laid out for example in Colossians 1 is FUTILE.

2. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Wood and paint are certainly not necessary to create God in one's own image - liberal theologians seem to manage just fine without it:)

The point being missed here is that God DID reveal His image to us through the Incarnation - this is not creating God in our own image, this is a declaration of the Incarnation of God Himself. Can this be abused just like Scripture - absolutely, without a doubt, it can and is, but that doesn't mean it must. Just like Scripture, the foundation must be sound in order for the walls to stand.

3. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My comments were only related to the specific quotation. If I had time to read all these books I guess I would have to change my occupation:)

4. JesusFreak78

JesusFreak78 Reformed Baptist

+1,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I agree with you, you don't need wood and paint to create God in one's own image and there is people who abuse the bible and I condemn it all.

People create God in their own image because they are more interested in continue in their sin than to submit to the one true Holy and perfect God. In some cases people are just ignorant/just doesn't know any better.

Now we need to get back on topic.

5. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+826
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    If the incarnate God cannot be represented, then there was no true incarnation, but a creation of some sort of un-depictable demigod flesh.

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,236
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    well if EYE-connz are bad . then the internet is bad too . why are we talking here? it's an image ingraved into the computer screen! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :D

7. JesusFreak78

+1,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I know this post isn't for me, but I would like to answer this.

Only God can represent God and that's why Jesus walking on earth is a true representation of God. All man made images of God can not represent God because we don't fully understand or comprehend God's Majesty, Glory, Holiness and Perfection.

8. simonthezealot

+1,560
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Hebrew 1
    The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact expression of His nature...

John 1
    No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

And you feel man can rightly do this?

9. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Once again - your argument pertains not just to images but to everything man-made - words, sentences, conceptions, descriptions etc. Yes, God is ineffable - the eastern Christianity is acutely aware of this and in practice tends towards apophatic theology, but in cases where God has specifically revealed Himself, this can and even must be affirmed, thus the gospel was spoken and eventually written in human words and the image of Christ was painted as He was incarnate in the flesh.

10. JesusFreak78

+1,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    This thread is about icons, so lets stick to that.
    Also, what is written about God in the bible is from God, not man, which will take us back to God is the only one fit to tell us Who God is and what He is and about His attributes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  11. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What is painted in an Icon is from God as well - why do you make a distinction? Are the ears more reliable than the eyes? I'm not changing the subject - the Incarnation was not literary - it was real, and this is what is presented in an icon of Christ just as it is heard with words in the gospel - no difference - the source is the same.

12. JesusFreak78

+1,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I disagree with you the source is the same, but since you make the claim, I would like you present proof from the bible saying icons are from God.

13. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+4,080
    Canada
    Lutheran
    Married
    I agree, as one learns about the symbolism in traditional icons, you can read them. Creativity and the arts are gifts from God. To have the God-given inspiration and ability to take the Word of God and translate it into a visual representation that inspires others is a blessing indeed.

I'm Lutheran, and like our Orthodox and Catholic brothers and sisters, icons and statues are not uncommon in our Churches. The temple in Jerusalem was adorned with images, the Ark of the Covenant had golden angels as commanded by God, there was the bronze serpent, also commanded by God.

Then there was also the Golden Calf; God seems to only have issues with objects which direct people away from Him, yet commanded images which point to Him and His glory.

Such images are like photographs. If we take a photo of a beautiful sunset, over a lake, on our vacation; then look at it later, it reminds us of the good time we had. If we have a picture of our loved ones on our desk; we don't love the picture, but we are reminded of those in the picture whom we do love.

Christian art, sculpture and icons do just that; they point to God.

Below are a couple of examples of what you may find in older, more traditional Lutheran Churches. In the first, there is a statue of Christ, a crucifix and an icon of the last supper on the Altar. On either side in stained glass is an icon of the resurrection and the Good Shepherd.

In the second photo there is an Icon of our Suffering Lord which reminds us of His Passion. A crucifix, and statues of Sts. Peter and Paul; two heroes of the New Testament, who brought many to the faith, and who's example is set before us and the Church, that we might do the same!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You disagree that the source of an Icon of Christ is the Incarnation? So you want proof that Jesus Christ was God? Sorry, but I'm not following your logic here so it's difficult to respond in any meaningful way.

15. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+826
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Do you think that if you took a photograph of Christ back in the day, it wouldn't have developed or something?

Christ became truly 100% human, exactly as you or I, except without sin. And part of condescending to be human means that he became a particular man in a particular place with a particular history and nationality and language, and family, etc. And in him, the un-locatable God becomes located.

If Christ really became human, then you can depict him. If he cannot be depicted, then something about him shining forth in his humanity isn't real, it's a fraud. It means that when you see Christ, you aren't seeing God as man, but God as part of man, where God fills in the blanks where man is missing.

The whole notion that God cannot condescend to become human, to become depictable, because of his transcendent radiance, is Islamizing and anti-Christian.

16. simonthezealot

+1,560
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Any attempt can not fulfill the exact expression of His nature, Christ was 100% man but as well in the hypostatic union 100% God...
    This is what human hands will never express, furthermore a prime example of God's disgust in this is how angry He became when the Israelites made Him out to be a golden calf.

17. Tzaousios

Tzaousios Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός

+467
    Christian
    Married
    Please don't tell me that you are trying again to draw a connection between icons and the Gold Calf... :doh:

18. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    :clap:

Excellent :)

19. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+4,080
    Canada
    Lutheran
    Married
    Thanks, and I love the Icons in your signature!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Some of what you were noting was discussed elsewhere in other threads dedicated to discussing the Biblical merit behind icons, as seen here: