Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Then you in no way are depicting the Christ.
To depict Christ, one does not have to depict a nature; in fact, it is impossible to depict a nature of any sort. To depict Christ, one has to depict the hypostasis of Christ; that is, his Person. And that Person became human, thus, he can be depicted as a human.

The Divine nature (physis) was not incarnate; the Divine Subsistence/Person (Hypostasis) of Christ was incarnate, taking to himself human nature along with his divine nature.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
To depict Christ, one does not have to depict a nature; in fact, it is impossible to depict a nature of any sort. To depict Christ, one has to depict the hypostasis of Christ; that is, his Person. And that Person became human, thus, he can be depicted as a human.

The Divine nature (physis) was not incarnate; the Divine Subsistence/Person (Hypostasis) of Christ was incarnate, taking to himself human nature along with his divine nature.

Yet, in iconography there are ways that the Iconographer/sculptor does represent the divine nature: I have seen icons, and many of our Lutheran Churches have statues of our risen Lord which depict him alive yet having the wounds of His Passion; I have seen depictions of His ascension; of Him seated on a throne as the King of Heaven and Earth; I have also seen depictions of the Annunciation.

Halos are also used to depict holiness or divinity; and are also used to draw attention to particular individuals who are significant in a particular depiction of a specific part of Scripture.

For example, look at the Icon of the Nativity in Gxg's signature; a halo on the head of the Baby Jesus, and on the head of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I feel bad that St. Joseph was left out.;)

Images are also created out side of what God has provided for us in Scripture by another group of Iconographers that are often overlooked; the Hymnographers who use words to draw pictures. We see this in one of St. Ambrose's hymns; highlights are mine:

"O Splendor of God's Glory Bright"
by St. Ambrose, 340-397
1. O splendor of God's glory bright,
Who bringest forth the light from Light;
O Light of light, light's Fountain-spring;
O Day, our days enlightening:

2. Come, very Sun of truth and love,
Come in Thy radiance from above
And shed the Holy Spirit's ray
On all we think or do today.

3. Likewise to Thee our prayers ascend,
Father of glory without end,
Father of saving grace, for pow'r
To conquer in temptation's hour.
4. Teach us to work with all our might;
Beat back the devil's threatening spite;
Turn all to good that seems most ill;
Help us our calling to fulfil.
5. Direct and govern heart and mind,
With body chaste and disciplined;
Let faith her eager fires renew
And hate the false and love the true.
6. On Christ, the true Bread, let us feed,
Let Him to us be drink indeed,
And let us taste with joyfulness
The Holy Spirit's plenteousness.

7. Oh, joyful be the livelong day,
Our thoughts as pure as morning ray,
Our faith like noonday's glowing height,
Our souls undimmed by shades of night.
8. The dawn begins to speed her way,
Let the true Dawn himself display,
The Son with God the Father One,
And God the Father in the Son.

9. All praise to God the Father be,
All praise, eternal Son, to Thee,
Whom with the Spirit we adore
Forever and forevermore.
Hymn #550
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: John 8:12
Author: St. Ambrose, d. 397
Translator: composite, 1904
Titled: "Splendor paternae gloriae"
Verses 1 and 2 describe Christ as light and sun.

Verse 6 reliterates the Biblical ideas of Christ as the "bread of life" and also eludes to His true presence in the Eucharist.

Verse 8 used the idea of the rising sun, the "true dawn" as an image for Christ.

The other verses of this hymn are prayer, and the whole hymn itself draws an image of God as the Holy Trinity.

In the Agnus Dei Christ is depicted as a sacrificial lamb, and harkens back to the words of St. John the Baptist:
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
ontario_ca_doorway_mosaic.jpg

Those same words inspire art like this, which combines the symbolism of the Sun in St. Ambrose's hymn, John the Baptist's Lamb of God, and the Book of the Seven Seals from the Revelation of St. John. This mosaic can be found above the main door of The Church of our Lady in Guelph Ontario.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Halos are also used to depict holiness or divinity; and are also used to draw attention to particular individuals who are significant in a particular depiction of a specific part of Scripture.

For example, look at the Icon of the Nativity in Gxg's signature; a halo on the head of the Baby Jesus, and on the head of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I feel bad that St. Joseph was left out.;)
St. Joseph may've been presented that way due to a myriad of reasons - for the man was indeed Holy as his wife/child were - but I do think, after being as tired as he was, that he was just worn out and perhaps the glow wasn't working^_^

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63572857 said:
St. Joseph may've been presented that way due to a myriad of reasons - for the man was indeed Holy as his wife/child were - but I do think, after being as tired as he was, that he was just worn out and perhaps the glow wasn't working^_^

At that moment depicted in that icon, the angels are now present; so with all that Glory abounding, Joseph's batteries should soon be recharged!:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At that moment depicted in that icon, the angels are now present; so with all that Glory abounding, Joseph's batteries should soon be recharged!:)
:clap:

Never considered like that before - but it fits, I think. Sometimes, you gotta recharge a bit before the light in the bulb comes back on again - and it's enough to see Glory surrounding others and you be present for it (as it's already the case that Mary is deemed "Holy Mother" rather than having Joseph deemed "Holy Father" for Her role in giving birth - Luke 2 - so it makes sense glory is more so ascribed to her.....especially when considering the mess a woman had to go through in that day and the things she endured as a woman suspected of losing her purity due to carrying Christ - shame that no one else would put away for decades since only Mary/Joseph knew where Christ came from - and yet she was praised/favored by the Lord) :)

The world was promised to be saved through a Woman and Her Baby in Genesis 3 when it came to Eve's Seed being declared to have victory - and it was redeemed through a Woman and Her Baby when it came to Mary bringing Christ into the world as the promised fulfillment of that declaration.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yet, in iconography there are ways that the Iconographer/sculptor does represent the divine nature: I have seen icons, and many of our Lutheran Churches have statues of our risen Lord which depict him alive yet having the wounds of His Passion; I have seen depictions of His ascension; of Him seated on a throne as the King of Heaven and Earth; I have also seen depictions of the Annunciation.
Those are not depictions of the Divine Nature, though, but of theanthropic acts performed by, and presences of, the one Hypostasis of Christ. In Christology, nature can only be encountered through Hypostasis. Furthermore, when Christ does something divine, it is his divinity shining forth through his humanity, and vis versa if one takes the Imago Dei seriously.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
ooops sorry wrong post :( You guys I apologize I closed this thread by accident :( my bad :( Hello to everyone here too!!

Tyrant! Tyrant I say! ...Love you!:hug:

Those are not depictions of the Divine Nature, though, but of theanthropic acts performed by, and presences of, the one Hypostasis of Christ. In Christology, nature can only be encountered through Hypostasis. Furthermore, when Christ does something divine, it is his divinity shining forth through his humanity, and vis versa if one takes the Imago Dei seriously.

That is the idea that I meant to convey, but said so poorly; more precicly these things are representations of His Divinity "shining through" His humanity.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Images are also created out side of what God has provided for us in Scripture by another group of Iconographers that are often overlooked; the Hymnographers who use words to draw pictures. We see this in one of St. Ambrose's hymns; highlights are mine:

Verses 1 and 2 describe Christ as light and sun.

Verse 6 reliterates the Biblical ideas of Christ as the "bread of life" and also eludes to His true presence in the Eucharist.

Verse 8 used the idea of the rising sun, the "true dawn" as an image for Christ.

The other verses of this hymn are prayer, and the whole hymn itself draws an image of God as the Holy Trinity.

In the Agnus Dei Christ is depicted as a sacrificial lamb, and harkens back to the words of St. John the Baptist:

ontario_ca_doorway_mosaic.jpg

Those same words inspire art like this, which combines the symbolism of the Sun in St. Ambrose's hymn, John the Baptist's Lamb of God, and the Book of the Seven Seals from the Revelation of St. John. This mosaic can be found above the main door of The Church of our Lady in Guelph Ontario.

Images speak just as much, if not more, than words..

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It should be noted that we even use Christ in our depictions of the Burning Bush and the Holy Spirit, as in the dove at Christ's baptism. Although it is sometimes seen, I am told it is not appropriate to have the dove on its own.

BurningBush.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It should be noted that we even use Christ in our depictions of the Burning Bush and the Holy Spirit, as in the dove at Christ's baptism. Although it is sometimes seen, I am told it is not appropriate to have the dove on its own.

BurningBush.jpg

Beautiful, the burning bush and your mention of the Holy Spirit depicted as a dove brought to mind the beautiful symbolism in the Hymn of Invocation of the Holy Spirit; Veni, Creator Spiritus, Mentes
Hymn - Come Holy Ghost - Pentecost Sunday - YouTube

Come Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire

Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire,
and lighten with celestial fire.
Thou the anointing Spirit art,
who dost thy sevenfold gifts impart.

Thy blessed unction from above
is comfort, life, and fire of love.
Enable with perpetual light
the dullness of our blinded sight.

Anoint and cheer our soiled face
with the abundance of thy grace.
Keep far from foes, give peace at home:
where thou art guide, no ill can come.

Teach us to know the Father, Son,
and thee, of both, to be but One,
that through the ages all along,
this may be our endless song:

Praise to thy eternal merit,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Certainly, one does not need icons to worship God, but they do enhance and focus that worship.:)

All too often in reformed protestant Churches, the emphasis seems to be one of a theology of personal glory, rather than a theology of the Cross: "I" accepted Christ; "I" was born again etc... Likewise, stages with bands and choirs make it more of a performance than a Church service, particularly in some of the charismatic Churches. At least with an Altar, one has a point of focus. I have frequently seen also in Non Denominational Churches/charismatic Baptist and Pentecostals in my town that they tend to be "personality cults"; when a preacher retires or leaves, there is also an ex-migration from that Church to one of the others that act similarly. When a bunch arrive at another Church, some of that Churches membership get's their noses out of joint and they move. Same thing happens when a new preacher arrives; a bunch of new members arrive too; a bunch of old ones leave.

I also have seen many situations where these Christians are less than humble because they can keep the legalism imposed by their Church better than other outside, and even others within their Congregation.

In my mind, these are forms of idolatry; "I must feel good"; "I must be entertained"; "I don't like what that Pastor is telling us"; "I could never listen to another Pastor"; I am most righteous.

I, I, I, I, I; me, me, me. It's about self, so the individual often becomes their own idol; and is more central than our Lord Jesus Christ!:preach:

Boy you are spot on with that, the cult of personality thing, the idolatry of self, more investment in the production of worship than anything with actual substance. Did you visit my old evangelical church? ^_^

Seriously though, this is like a laundry list of everything that marked the decline of my old church, 10 years ago there were probably 2,000 members, now there's <600 and falling. Not that my old church was an exception of any kind, I've seen this in many evangelical churches. Hence the mass exodus of evangelicals to higher forms of the faith like Anglicanism, Lutheranism, Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, et al.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In a Catholic church the quality of homily delivery is less significant than the liturgy of the word and the Eucharist.

We gather in church to worship, if there is a good choir and an excellent homily that's good but if there isn't then we are there to worship and homilies and choirs are only aides not the focus of our worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a Catholic church the quality of homily delivery is less significant then the liturgy of the word and the Eucharist.

We gather in church to worship, if there is a good choir and an excellent homily that's good but if there isn't then we are there to worship and homilies and choirs are only aides not the focus of our worship.

As it should be, IMHO.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Boy you are spot on with that, the cult of personality thing, the idolatry of self, more investment in the production of worship than anything with actual substance. Did you visit my old evangelical church? ^_^

Seriously though, this is like a laundry list of everything that marked the decline of my old church, 10 years ago there were probably 2,000 members, now there's <600 and falling. Not that my old church was an exception of any kind, I've seen this in many evangelical churches. Hence the mass exodus of evangelicals to higher forms of the faith like Anglicanism, Lutheranism, Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, et al.

Interesting, is it possible (probable even) that the Holy Spirit uses these types of faith communities to call some (to use your words) to the "higher forms of the faith"?

In a Catholic church the quality of homily delivery is less significant than the liturgy of the word and the Eucharist.

As it should be, IMHO.

Very true, next to proclaiming the Gospel and administration of the Sacraments we Confessional Lutherans take the teaching aspect of the Pastoral Office very seriously; that being said, in the words of one of my former Pastors regarding the Divine Service, the Mass: "even if I have a bad sermon, the Gospel is still proclaimed and the Sacraments are still administered". BTW, I never heard him give a bad or even questionable sermon, and I can honestly say the same for my present Pastor.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0