Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not so much for a church that teaches what I believe, but I believe what I do because I have read the bible, I would like a church that teaches me and guides me on my journey and helps me know what Jesus asks of me. Founded firmly in biblical teachings.
Yes, Z, this is what I meant.
We should learn what God expects from us...it's Him telling us,,,not us telling Him.

I found the Nazarene church to be in alignment with how you worded your OP..it's a very simple and pure church.
If you need structure and ceremony look into the others I mentioned.

• Useful
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly so! And if you had questioned the people you spoke with in that 'born again' church, asking them if you were then 'home free' to steal the blind man's cane once you had decided to believe in Jesus and were baptized...I have a hunch that they would have said that you have to be sincere about it! Obviously. And if you or any of us is sincere, there is no chance that we would even think of living in defiance of how Jesus taught us to live.

But as for which church you should join, it starts with doing a little research into the differences between the denominations; and then, with a few questions and some visits, the choice will most likely become clear.
How would you like to pm me to remind me, and I'll copy and paste some comments from posters that will shock you???

Some churches are leading people astray....just like Jesus and Paul said they would.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did you knoiw that NOWHERE does the Bible say "accept Jesus" or "personal savior"?
What does this mean to you?

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, -John 1:12​

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, -John 1:12​
But Father Brendan's point is still valid. However we might associate or identify certain passages of Scripture with theological terms that we've learned, certain phrases are simply not technically Scriptural.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

@Monk Brendan is correct.
On phone and cannot post too much.
Hope he replies....or tomorrow.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But Father Brendan's point is still valid. However we might associate or identify certain passages of Scripture with theological terms that we've learned, certain phrases are simply not technically Scriptural.
So then, "receive" does not correspond to "accept", and "children of God" is not "personal" because of "theological terms"?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then, "receive" does not correspond to "accept", and "children of God" is not "personal" because of "theological terms"?
Not necessarily. Again, not making a judgement either way, just pointing out that some theological phrases are not technically Scriptural. We could debate if certain verses actually mean this-or-that, but certain widely used phrases themselves simply do not appear in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Start with John 3:3.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Many Protestants don't tell people this. We aren't born again by walking to the front of the church and confessing Christ. The new birth is wrought by the Holy Spirit.

Being born again causes a person to love Christ and that love is why we obey Him and feel sorrow when when we mess up.

1 John 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

We ask God to guide us and to help us abandon old habits/sins. Because we have faith (given to us by God), He helps us to walk in the light. The more we read our Bibles the more we love Him.

Psalm 119
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and HE shall direct thy paths.

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

God saved us via the new birth and He keeps us. The reason we work for Him is because we love Him.

Paul said:

1 Corinthians 15
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

God will lead you. He said so.

Christian A New Creation in Christ.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
certain widely used phrases themselves simply do not appear in Scripture.
Like "Trinity", for instance? Not trying to be argumentative, but what you're saying doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen.
Some want Jesus as savior,
But not as Lord.
We can't have one without the other.
Some teachings today are dangerous to our salvation.

What we want tells people what God has done for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
To put this in perspective, from a Lutheran POV... If you really understood the price that Jesus payed for the salvation of a sinful world, why would you want to go and do something heinous and hard hearted like hurting children or innocent people? It's like crucifying Christ all over again. After all, Jesus came to end oppression and exploitation. To have faith in Christ means to have at least a little bit of loyalty to Christ and the things he loves, and it's difficult I think for most Lutherans to reconcile heinous criminal acts with the Holy Spirit working in someone's life. That doesn't mean it is impossible, but we would definitely encourage somebody like that to do some soul searching.

Good deeds are important... for the sake of our neighbor. But no good deeds pleasing to God are possible without in some way being illumined by the Holy Spirit. Traditionally, Christians understand that as being a consequence of having faith. Martin Luther said the faith that justifies us is a lively faith that does not cease doing good. hHat doesn't mean we live sinless lives, but it means we at least are oriented towards being something other than a horrible person. To quote a Buddhist proverb, once you have the antidote, you no longer need to drink more poison.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like "Trinity", for instance? Not trying to be argumentative, but what you're saying doesn't make sense to me.
I know. The point was, I think, that some of the theological phrases / concepts that we might learn to try to explain or define what Salvation is and how it works aren't technically Scriptural, but we often treat them as though they are.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, I think she's going thtough a genuine crisis and really wants answers. I went through something like this, asking the exact same questions, while within Baptist churches. Once Saved Always Saved made less and less theological sense, and eventually, so did Sola Fidé. Coming to the right answers can be hard, confusing, and emotionally conflicted. Let's give her support.

If you are saved you have eternal life. If people don't have the new birth, their hearts haven't been changed; they might walk away next week. But if God has given you the new birth, you won't walk away and God won't let anyone steal you from Him.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.

That sounds like they ignore the fact that God gives the new birth to whom He will, instead of to whom they say He will. The only way for a believer to know truth and more truth is to read the TRUTH.

Bible read-the-bible-2.png Christian Clip Art by Jim Sutton_The Holy Bible is God's Word.gif

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.

Why do you feel you need to look to a specific denomination when even the New Testament writers didn't leave us with a comprehensive epistemological format by which to harness our Christian faith? :dontcare:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No, you aren't wrong, and PLEASE stay away from those churches.

You are a testament to the fact that the truth is right there if you want to see it, it takes someone who chooses to see that other nonsense to get them to buy it, or someone who'd rather do what they want over what God wants.

They have built a whole new religion around selfishness and disguised it as truth, all in order to help people pretend their way into Heaven while allowing themselves the freedom to sin all they like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
Why do you feel you need to look to a specific denomination when even the New Testament writers didn't leave us with a comprehensive epistemological format by which to harness our Christian faith? :dontcare:

I could always pray at home and not go to church.

But as someone fresh to religion, I feel like I need to be guided by someone with greater knowledge and understanding than myself.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But as someone fresh to religion, I feel like I need to be guided by someone with greater knowledge and understanding than myself.

As for myself, I read the entire New Testament when I first officially stepped into the Christian milieu, and then afterward I began to place myself on a journey by which to learn to live within the various understandings of the Christian faith. So far, I see no reason to commit to any one denomination in a singular fashion when I can learn and gain something valuable from each one as well as from the entire collection of Christian history that has accumulated for almost 2,000 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Asking questions like the ones you're asking finally lead me to understand that our salvation is a journey of faith and works of obedience to Christ, out of love for Him. It's a journey. I don't think you'll find any Protestant churches who teach this, but I do know that the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches do.
Similar to the Catholic and OE denominations, you will find liberal and conservative leanings among the churches. I recommend searching online and looking at their formal confessions/statements of faith and practice to learn their convictions regarding personal holiness. For instance, Reformed Baptists emphasize repentance as a requisite for church membership.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some websites that might help;

JESUS CHRIST AND THE EARLY CHRISTIAN CHURCH

24 March 2000, Mass for Youth at the Mount of Beatitudes | John Paul II

Missionaries of Charity

Pray at home for now; feel free to visit parishes on Sunday, or throughout the week, if weekday Masses / Liturgies are available. Pray, take your time, read, follow Christ. Talk with Christians on here. Ask questions. You're on the right track.

Upvote 0