Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, GodsGrace101, Jesus' warning in Matthew clearly tells us that those who fail to feed the hungry and clothe the naked will not make it to Heaven, even if they call him 'Lord'.
Amen.
Some want Jesus as savior,
But not as Lord.
We can't have one without the other.
Some teachings today are dangerous to our salvation.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you just want to complain. Are you born-again? According to your second paragraph you understand what you want to believe. So, find a church that believes that.

Stranger
No, I think she's going thtough a genuine crisis and really wants answers. I went through something like this, asking the exact same questions, while within Baptist churches. Once Saved Always Saved made less and less theological sense, and eventually, so did Sola Fidé. Coming to the right answers can be hard, confusing, and emotionally conflicted. Let's give her support.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you just want to complain. Are you born-again? According to your second paragraph you understand what you want to believe. So, find a church that believes that.

Stranger
Yes Stranger....
But he's asking which denomination teaches what his heart tells him, and what is true.

You know very well that some churches have different teachings than what the o.p. believes.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To understand Paul’s emphasis of faith you need to look at what the alternatives are. He’s confronting legalistic understandings of righteousness. These turn God into a bean-counter. Depending upon your interpretation, we have to do a certain number of good deeds, and we have to maintain purity laws.

Both Paul and Jesus, in different ways, confronted this. Jesus confronted it in the Pharisees’ legalism. Paul confronted it in the demand of some Jewish Christians that in order to become Christian you have to be circumcized. Both Jesus and Paul demanded obedience, but it was an obedience from the heart, based on a real change in motivation, rather than on specific rules or quotas of good deeds.

Jesus talked a lot about judgement. But if you look at his parables and examples of judgement, it was all based on the overall direction of someone’s life. He didn’t condemn people for specific sins, and certainly not for violation of the purity rules. But still, he expected followers to follow. In Rom 10, you both say and also believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord. Lord means he’s the one you obey.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.

It's all about Jesus ... and we are to follow in His footsteps and He will help you do that as you grow in your knowledge about Him by spending time in His Word. Do so topically because it gives a broad overview of the OT and the NT. It is true one can not earn their way to heaven by their works .... what is true is if one is believing in Jesus what they do will glorify Him. It's the motive behind the works and what motivates one to do works and that motivation is Jesus ... His Holy Spirit working through the believer.

And yes, there is a lot more to it and the Holy Spirit has already revealed that to you.
Here is a resource you might find helpful to run some searches etc. www.biblehub.com

God Bless you as you start walking in your new life with Jesus. Amen

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here?
Well, your examples of what you can't do are obvious, of course...
There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right?
Not really.
You can't earn your salvation, because it's Grace, which implies we're guilty but pardoned.
If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.
Not many Christians do this, but the idea is to seek Him.
Seek God.
He will meet you.
But i haven't been that close to Him yet either.
I think i haven't sought Him personally, not seriously, not persistently enough.
Yeah i pray and complain to the sky, addressing Him, and the "me" in my person has shrunk a few sizes through the years, but i still feel empty and alone regarding my relation with the One who claims to be my Father.
Trying to be a better person, a better Christian hasn't done much to get close to Him.
So what to do?
Only recently i found people testifying that fasting is a good way to meet God.
I plan on doing that, but i have to be home alone for a few weeks, because it's intense and apparently quite the rollercoaster ride regarding moods and emotions.
The verse "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." applies here.

For the rest, try to be good and love your fellow humans and your God.

my 2 cents..

Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes Stranger....
But he's asking which denomination teaches what his heart tells him, and what is true.

You know very well that some churches have different teachings than what the o.p. believes.
Not so much for a church that teaches what I believe, but I believe what I do because I have read the bible, I would like a church that teaches me and guides me on my journey and helps me know what Jesus asks of me. Founded firmly in biblical teachings.

Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, your examples of what you can't do are obvious, of course...
Not really.
You can't earn your salvation, because it's Grace, which implies we're guilty but pardoned.
Not many Christians do this, but the idea is to seek Him.
Seek God.
He will meet you.
But i haven't been that close to Him yet either.
I think i haven't sought Him personally, not seriously, not persistently enough.
Yeah i pray and complain to the sky, addressing Him, and the "me" in my person has shrunk a few sizes through the years, but i still feel empty and alone regarding my relation with the One who claims to be my Father.
Trying to be a better person, a better Christian hasn't done much to get close to Him.
So what to do?
Only recently i found people testifying that fasting is a good way to meet God.
I plan on doing that, but i have to be home alone for a few weeks, because it's intense and apparently quite the rollercoaster ride regarding moods and emotions.
The verse "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." applies here.

For the rest, try to be good and love your fellow humans and your God.

my 2 cents..
I'm ex Muslim, I can handle fasting ;)
Thank you, I will try this.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.
It's hard to figure out who to pay attention to with so many contradictory views. So I'm going to add one more view to complicate things even more. I'm presuming you are already reading your Bible. If not, start there. But if you already do that, start reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Why? It is a central teaching document for most of the planet's Christians. It's coherent. It is well indexed, so easy to search. It's easy to read. It is the official teaching of the Catholic Church. You can disagree with it if you want to, but it would provide you a framework to understand Christian teaching. By all means look in other places as well, but do look here too.

To find a copy you can go to most bookstores that sell new books. Most used bookstores will have a copy as well. Many Christian bookstores will sell them. Even thrift stores often enough have a copy in their book section. Ignatius Press will sell them. But the Catechism of the Catholic Church is also available online for free.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
or
Catechism of the Catholic Church
or
Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic Church of Picayune, MS - Faith - Catechism of the Catholic Church

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm ex Muslim, I can handle fasting ;)
Thank you, I will try this.
:oldthumbsup:
I've never tried fasting.
But at the moment it's the only thing i can think of to get to approach God, or have Him approach me.
(I'm a bit anxious though, about the possibility that it may not 'work'...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think faith is key, however if you believe in Christ, but I think if you do believe Christ is the son of God and word in flesh, that should influence how you live your life in many aspects.

If it doesn't influence your life you don't believe.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But at the moment it's the only thing i can think of to get to approach God, or have Him approach me.
Oh, it works. Or rather it allows grace to work better because it focuses us. Try it. Jesus never said "If you fast ..." but rather he said "When you fast ...". So we really are supposed to fast, if we are physically able to do so.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged

Have confidence and step out in your faith.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not so much for a church that teaches what I believe, but I believe what I do because I have read the bible, I would like a church that teaches me and guides me on my journey and helps me know what Jesus asks of me. Founded firmly in biblical teachings.

I hear you. I went through this. It is a scary journey, because theologically, Protestant thought is the loudest and most culturally visible on television, media, books, and the internet. So assuming that maybe another thought process all together can be true can throw the soul a curve ball. Which can feel like a mental collapse. There are good Christians all over the map, that is true. And Saints in every corner. But some things are truer than others. Seeking that out can be a trip.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta helped me see the Gospel in action. And eventually, after simply admiring her for many years as a Christian, helped me put faith and works together. And began to guide me to the Catholic Church, though this was not where I thought I'd wind up. It's a journey. Keep asking, reading, praying, and seeking God's Will and Heart on the matter. God bless you, Zobers.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Turn to the early Christians (Justin the Martyr, Ignatius of Antioch, Augustine of Hippo, John Chrysostom, etc.). They can tell you where you should go, or otherwise provide a guide for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave Conley

Dec 16, 2018
NEW ALBANY, IN
✟8,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Start with the New Testament. Read it and read the commentaries. Get a student Bible. I don't know of any Christian that after reading the NT would agree that God gives us a license to sin just because we believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think faith is key, however if you believe in Christ, but I think if you do believe Christ is the son of God and word in flesh, that should influence how you live your life in many aspects.
Exactly so! And if you had questioned the people you spoke with in that 'born again' church, asking them if you were then 'home free' to steal the blind man's cane once you had decided to believe in Jesus and were baptized...I have a hunch that they would have said that you have to be sincere about it! Obviously. And if you or any of us is sincere, there is no chance that we would even think of living in defiance of how Jesus taught us to live.

But as for which church you should join, it starts with doing a little research into the differences between the denominations; and then, with a few questions and some visits, the choice will most likely become clear.

• Winner
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Did you knoiw that NOWHERE does the Bible say "accept Jesus" or "personal savior"?

Look at the oldest pre-Reformation Churches.

Upvote 0