Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But as someone fresh to religion, I feel like I need to be guided by someone with greater knowledge and understanding than myself.
Yes. For knowledge and accountability.
Hebrews 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I could always pray at home and not go to church.

But as someone fresh to religion, I feel like I need to be guided by someone with greater knowledge and understanding than myself.

Goes to show, even someone fresh, but with proper intents has a much better view of things that some who have been in it for years.

The holy spirit is alive and well in you, Zobers, and I understand you want to be with teachers...people of your own kind that follow something other than easy, all about me, doctrine, but that is getting tougher to find theses days, but they are still out there.

I'd guess I don't really need to tell you what to stay away from, so I'd suggest you just keep looking. I don't go to church, but maybe someone here can recommend a denomination that is at least claiming they are on the right track, and then you can discern for yourself if they are or not, something I don't see you having any problem with at all.

Mainly, through it all, keep that Bible at arms length, that's where absolute truth is, clean and untarnished, before people have a chance to dirty it up with their selfishness.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

I'm not aware of anybody who teaches this.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are people in this thread who are saying that salvation is all you need....

Well, that is correct. Salvation is all you need.

But the person who is baptised and just keeps on sinning like before -- that person isn't saved.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
here should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance

May I suggest a few things.

first, have a look at the christianityexplored web site for a church in your area running this course and sign up.
It gives you the chance to discuss an aspect of Christianity week by week. There is no commitment to attend church.
You the site to find and check out churches in your area.
If you decide to attend church look up the mysteryworshipper and submit a report:-http://shipoffools.com/mystery-worshipper/

• Useful
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.

This article will answer all of your questions.

How Are We Saved? - Theology - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To put this in perspective, from a Lutheran POV... If you really understood the price that Jesus payed for the salvation of a sinful world, why would you want to go and do something heinous and hard hearted like hurting children or innocent people? It's like crucifying Christ all over again. After all, Jesus came to end oppression and exploitation. To have faith in Christ means to have at least a little bit of loyalty to Christ and the things he loves, and it's difficult I think for most Lutherans to reconcile heinous criminal acts with the Holy Spirit working in someone's life. That doesn't mean it is impossible, but we would definitely encourage somebody like that to do some soul searching.

Good deeds are important... for the sake of our neighbor. But no good deeds pleasing to God are possible without in some way being illumined by the Holy Spirit. Traditionally, Christians understand that as being a consequence of having faith. Martin Luther said the faith that justifies us is a lively faith that does not cease doing good. hHat doesn't mean we live sinless lives, but it means we at least are oriented towards being something other than a horrible person. To quote a Buddhist proverb, once you have the antidote, you no longer need to drink more poison.
Very well put.

I just want to say that our sins don't have to be heinous to be unpleasant to both God and man.
Some sins are smaller but are just as hurtful in one way or another.

I do hear, these days, sometimes in disguised ways, that it's not necessary to obey God -- or, at least, that's the message that is sent. I hear that we only need to believe in Jesus. Unfortunately, believe back then meant something different than it does today.

I'm not one to judge souls, but I AM starting to wonder if these persons are truly BAC. I am starting to wonder how they could be so mean-spirited even to other members...

I say we need to obey God, and some tell me I'm lost because I teach a "different gospel". Posting verses seems to be a waste of time...

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are people in this thread who are saying that salvation is all you need....
There are two parts to salvation...any church will teach you this.

There is Justification. This is an act of God. All we have to do with it is to show the desire to be saved and to want to follow in Jesus' footsteps. We repent,,,which means to go the other way...to change our mind and walk in the opposite direction. Whereas before we were walking toward satan, now we walk toward God.

Then there is Sanctification. This requires our cooperation. This has to do with our walk toward God...or with God. It's a life-long process and the co
operation demonstrated is that we become disciples of Jesus and follow in His footsteps.

As you read the N.T. you'll find that Jesus tells us to love God and love our neighbor and to do many things....like pray, give to the poor, do good deeds, etc.

Any good church will teach the above...if they don't there's something about the N.T. that they don't grasp.

• Useful
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums