Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.

Last edited:

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far I have been to born again churches who tell me that all I need to do is believe in Jesus and get baptised and boom bam, I'm going to heaven no questions asked and I'll be Jesus' best buddy.

Now, I understand you do need to accept Jesus and believe in him but I don't think that's all you need. E.g. I can't get baptised and then go out the next day and commit acts of paedophilia or attack a blind man and steal his stick.

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians around me are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life in order of God's will.
Asking questions like the ones you're asking finally lead me to understand that our salvation is a journey of faith and works of obedience to Christ, out of love for Him. It's a journey. I don't think you'll find any Protestant churches who teach this, but I do know that the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches do.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know where to look for guidance .
Start with the New Testament. Read it and read the commentaries. Get a student Bible. I don't know of any Christian that after reading the NT would agree that God gives us a license to sin just because we believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What @Gracia Singh said.

And although you see by my faith designator that I'm Eastern Orthodox, you should know that I wasn't always. I was raised by lapsed Catholic parents who were totally disgusted with the Catholic Church and probably minimally aware of the EO and OO communions. My only church experience in early life was in a church more or less like those you have described. I was lucky - a lot of good people. But now I can see that what they believed was utterly unlike ancient Christianity.

Ask your questions on OBOB, The Voice in the Desert, The Ancient Way, and Scripture / Tradition / Reason. Also ask the Lutherans, whose name I forget (no offense to anyone). IMO, it's very worth asking questions, reading, and seeing where that leads you.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Salvation is only through faith in the risen Christ, and repentance. No works required. Christ will change you and you will be a new creation. Call on him now.
  • Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Am I wrong here? There should be actions that I take and paths that I walk which make me a good Christian, right? If I believe in Jesus, obviously I should also want to sin as little as possible. I don't know where to look for guidance when the people who have been lifelong Christians are just saying that you only need to do one single thing in order to live my life within the lines of God's will.
I literally just read my Bible. I only read a chapter today so far and it was Romans 4. This chapter talks a lot about faith. I thought just now about not replying as I may face opposition and I got thoughts like "what if I'm wrong?"... I'm not going to let that stop me.

I believe salvation is by faith, alone. Have the people you've spoken to not went into detail and shown you scripture?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Kind of.....

So the good news message is pretty simple and straight forward.

You need to admit that you are evil. That you have terrible thoughts, and actions, that you lie, that you envy, that you want what you want and want it now. That you are selfish, and full of pride.

You need a savior. You need forgiveness.

The Bible is clear in Romans 10:9

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.​

Do you believe that Jesus is alive? That he was killed, and came back from the dead? And do you believe that today, going forward that he is your Lord and Savior?

Then you are saved. But you have to believe that he is the Lord.

Now if you believe he is the Lord, then you should do as he asks you to do.

The first thing that Jesus taught his people to do, was to be baptized. So, while being baptized doesn't save you, it is a showing that you are saved. It is the natural next step.

As for attacking people, and stealing a blind man's cane.... if Jesus is really the Lord over your life, then you should live according to what your Lord would want you to do.... sound reasonable? Do you think Jesus would want you to attack people and steal a blind man's cane?

By doing those actions, you are showing you don't really have Jesus as your Lord. Meaning you likely were never actually saved. Even Jesus himself said...

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"
That's in Luke 6. That should scare some people. The idea you can be saved, and then act crazy, is nowhere in the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I visited different denominations each week for about a year. I recommend it highly.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It would seem, Zobers, that it would be prudent to do a number of things.

(1) Do some basic internet research on some of the major religious groups to determine what they believe.

(2) Visit several congregational forums here and learn from what is posted and even ask questions yourself.

(3) After you begin to get a sense of some of the key differences, then perhaps visit some local churches and see which ones appeal to you the most.

(4) Yes, you can read the Bible for guidance, but that will not tell you which church to attend, as every church claims to follow Scripture.

As for myself, I consider myself a Protestant, but when it comes to current teaching on salvation, it seems to me that the Catholics come pretty close to hitting a home run, as they no longer automatically exclude non-Catholics, non-Christians or even agnostics and atheists from having a chance to go to Heaven. Many/Most Mainline (more Liberal/Moderate) Protestants take the same position, though there it is really an individual position and not the position of the particular denomination, at least I am unaware of any Protestant body taking such an official position on salvation, as the Catholic Church seems to have done.

Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
I literally just read my Bible. I only read a chapter today so far and it was Romans 4. This chapter talks a lot about faith. I thought just now about not replying as I may face opposition and I got thoughts like "what if I'm wrong?"... I'm not going to let that stop me.

I believe salvation is by faith, alone. Have the people you've spoken to not went into detail and shown you scripture?

They do read the bible a lot but in conversation it's not revered to, they just tell me how they think it is.

I think faith is key, however if you believe in Christ, but I think if you do believe Christ is the son of God and word in flesh, that should influence how you live your life in many aspects.

Do you still walk past a homeless man knowing that you could easily give him the money in your wallet and still feed your family? If your neighbour starved to death and you did nothing to help, would you consider that a non-issue in the eyes of the Lord?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Zobers - I have done quite a bit of research myself and in many ways I am a better fit for Judaism than for Christianity, as Judaism emphasizes deeds over faith, whereas many Christians emphasize faith over deeds. Both are very important, make no mistake about it. After all, "faith without works, is dead". If it was not my deep love for Jesus and his teachings, I would probably convert to Reform Judaism. Having said that, there are some Christian bodies that emphasize deeds more than others, though to a great extent it is all an individual decision. There are wonderful Christians in every faith group and bad apples in every one as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I attended a Nazarene church for ten years.
In the 80s,,,,if nothing has changed,,,it was great. Take the discipleship class if it's offered....it made me understand everything better.

The Catholic Church is good but I don't agree with some doctrine. Orthodox is also good.

God bless you.
BTW, you're right about your beliefs.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would seem, Zobers, that it would be prudent to do a number of things.

(1) Do some basic internet research on some of the major religious groups to determine what they believe.

(2) Visit several congregational forums here and learn from what is posted and even ask questions yourself.

(3) After you begin to get a sense of some of the key differences, then perhaps visit some local churches and see which ones appeal to you the most.

(4) Yes, you can read the Bible for guidance, but that will not tell you which church to attend, as every church claims to follow Scripture.

Step Five would be to seek God's Will on the matter, not just one's own likes, leadings, preferences, or feelings. That is so, so important. Many things can look and seem and feel right about a cettain Church, denomination, idea, or doctrine. And yet in spite of that, they do not reflect, at least not entirely, God's Will, mind, and Heart on the matter. God bless you, and pray much! No matter what, to quote a homily from John Paul II, "Follow Christ, follow Christ, follow Christ!" Take it slowly and carefully, and don't try to outrun God's leading.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Dear friend, I see the confusion and I do understand your mentality here. However when the Spirit of God truly moves into your heart and you are saved, Then you not seek that kind of lifestyle.
You are Justified at salvation, However then will the act of sanctification begin that will start to make you more righteous and this is called circumcision of the heart that is done without hands.
Please message me if you like to discuss this and I would happy to help you.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They do read the bible a lot but in conversation it's not revered to, they just tell me how they think it is.

I think faith is key, however if you believe in Christ, but I think if you do believe Christ is the son of God and word in flesh, that should influence how you live your life in many aspects.

Do you still walk past a homeless man knowing that you could easily give him the money in your wallet and still feed your family? If your neighbour starved to death and you did nothing to help, would you consider that a non-issue in the eyes of the Lord?
I don't think we can be sinless though, which is a big part of this to me. More importantly is not just believeing in Jesus but beleving on him to get you to heaven. His death, burial and ressurection are payment for our sins.

According to Romans 3:10 there is none righteous. According to Romans 3:12 there is none that doeth good.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (KJV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is only through faith in the risen Christ, and repentance. No works required. Christ will change you and you will be a new creation. Call on him now.
  • Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
This is not what Jesus taught.
Just read Mathew.

Upvote 0

Quort

May 6, 2017
Elgin
✟10,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

I think you just want to complain. Are you born-again? According to your second paragraph you understand what you want to believe. So, find a church that believes that.

Stranger

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
This is not what Jesus taught.
Just read Mathew.
Yes, GodsGrace101, Jesus' warning in Matthew clearly tells us that those who fail to feed the hungry and clothe the naked will not make it to Heaven, even if they call him 'Lord'.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we can be sinless though, which is a big part of this to me. More importantly is not just believeing in Jesus but beleving on him to get you to heaven. His death, burial and ressurection are payment for our sins.

According to Romans 3:10 there is none righteous. According to Romans 3:12 there is none that doeth good.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (KJV)
I know you're not....but it sounds like you're saying we're doomed to forever live lives of sin.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I guess God has a voice of His own. One thing that seems to be missing from the posts on the thread is what God is saying about it. God is not the church, nor is the church God. In most cases, the church does not represent Christ at all, and some so misrepresent Christ that if people see God only through a church, then it is no wonder they get put off the church and off Christ as well!

The decision needs to be made whether we worship God in Christ, or the church. No person can serve two masters: serve either the church instead of God, or God and have the church at a much lower priority.

Just because a church says this or that, it doesn't mean that God is saying it. We need to know that so that we don't set our church up before God and turn it into our own "god".

• Agree
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0