I Can Do All Things Through Christ....

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yo, it says we CAN DO all things, not that it'll be easy. And anyway, if you really think it's a joke, then say you have faith, you're raising a red flag for me. How can you say you have faith in God if you don't trust His promises? How can you say you have faith in God if you treat His Word with contempt?

You need to transform your mind. Stop thinking the way the world thinks.

Read Romans 12:1-2. And what is written below, an article I wrote on it:
To begin with in this article, a verse must be stated. Romans 12:1-2 (NASB, Greek only) reads: “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” Another way to say that would be that you need to honor the Lord with your bodies, sacrificing what your flesh wants by transforming and renewing your mind, so you can know the will of God. So how exactly does one go about transforming and renewing the mind? Discipline and repetition has much to do with it. You need the discipline to say no to what is unwholesome, and the repetition of doing it over and over again to complete the renewing process- so that you have less slips into sin.
So what are unwholesome things should we discipline our minds to say no to? Lust, or desiring what is forbidden would be one thing. For example, if I knew by simply looking at something someone else has and admiring it I would desire it for my own (lust, commonly known as coveting), I would not admire said object. I would discipline my mind to say no to something that would lead it into sin. Looking at billboards with immodest people on them might be someone else’s weakness. By looking at billboards this someone would fall into lust of the eyes- also known as sexual lust. So, it would make sense for that person to discipline themselves to either not go where there are billboards to look at or not look at the billboards. It depends on where a person’s weakness lies.
Simply saying no one time will not keep you out of sin, however. You must keep the discipline until the weakness becomes a strength, or until you die and go to heaven. How do you keep the discipline? Reminder notes in areas of your living space, or on something you look at every day (like a computer screen or notebook) are a good idea. Finding someone to hold you accountable is also a good idea. What is to be done depends largely on the individual’s personality and needs. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you are not alone- you have other Christians who care about you and want to see you grow, so seek them out and do not let their presence be in vain.

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
that is a very confusing statement.

that is a joke.

if that is true, how come everyone is having a hard time?

personally, if that is true, how come i can't get a job? how come i can't get my prayers answered, even when i have faith?

You're not alone.

Success in wordly things is not a measure of faith.

Picking yourself up and battling through the hard times is a sign of faith. Serving Him, regardless of our circumstances, is the greatest measure of faith. Shall we give up when turmoil surrounds us? No! If we do give up then the devil has won us over. Remain faithfull and continue to serve Him. He does not and will not ever abandon us.

Have you read the book of Job?

Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is a very confusing statement.

that is a joke.

if that is true, how come everyone is having a hard time?

personally, if that is true, how come i can't get a job? how come i can't get my prayers answered, even when i have faith?
The passage you're half-quoting is this:

Phil 4:12-13 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Paul's talking about learning to be content through both riches and poverty. It's *not* a general statement about being superheros or something. So, actually, if you learn to be content and stay in faith during this time of little, you are doing "all things" as Paul put it.

Reactions: Catholic Wife
Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It also goes on to explain that we can only do those things which are God's will.

And do you think Christians get jobs instantly just because of this verse? Nothing worth effort of achieving comes easy. Nothing.

Upvote 0

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yet you don't have faith in God to heal? I think there's much more to these posts of yours that meets the eye. You're holding a lot of bitterness and resentment- not healthy. You're also not giving God a chance- equally unhealthy.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The passage you're half-quoting is this:

Phil 4:12-13 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Paul's talking about learning to be content through both riches and poverty. It's *not* a general statement about being superheros or something. So, actually, if you learn to be content and stay in faith during this time of little, you are doing "all things" as Paul put it.
:amen:
AMEN!

Well said!

ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yo?

anyways, in my experience...TIME heals everything. Not God.

just loads and loads of time.

Perhaps you could take this opportunity to HONESTLY investigate why your personal experience indicates to you that time, not God, heals, when the experience of most Christians is otherwise.

Something is amiss!

WITH LOVE IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi :)
Well Jesus never said that if we believe in Him, we'll have nice, easy lives. He didn't die so that we would have worldly success. We exist for Him, not the other way around. Of course He loves us (more than we know) and is there for us in our troubles...it's not like Christians never suffer, it's more like we have the strength to stay with God and persevere in our faith. When the world seems to be falling apart, we rely on God because with Him all things are possible..and therefore, we can do everything through Christ who strengthens us. While others may have despaired in Paul's situation, he rejoiced in his suffering because God was with him. He is our strength, and if we rely on Him we wouldn't be overcome by our situations.

I'd say that God being unconditionally reliable is a far superior idea to Him granting our every wish. Especially since many of our wishes are damaging to our souls. Sometimes He answers my prayers in ways I don't expect, or even want to, just so that I can learn something important. Someday, we'll be grateful that His will was done, not ours...and we can trust God that He works everything out for good.

"anyways, in my experience...TIME heals everything. Not God."

Are you sure about this? What if God heals us slowly (because of our resistance, etc) and this takes time? That doesn't mean that time is responsible.

God bless!

monica

Upvote 0

OceanFloor4

Jan 8, 2007
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

I believe that statement is meant to be as opposed to "I don't always have God to help me." Paul is writing to tell us that we *do* always have God to help us - in everything we do, we can have His strength.

Upvote 0