Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone have any good tips on how to evangelize people? I tend to be a very shy person and am -not- good at starting conversations, especially on so important subjects as faith, salvation, and our Lord. I'm a member of the evangelism team at my church. but we don't meet regularly or anything like that. Any ideas on how to get something like that going? Thanks and blessings!

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have any good tips on how to evangelize people? I tend to be a very shy person and am -not- good at starting conversations, especially on so important subjects as faith, salvation, and our Lord. I'm a member of the evangelism team at my church. but we don't meet regularly or anything like that. Any ideas on how to get something like that going? Thanks and blessings!
-
Well first you need to be able to tell a person exactly how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation).

Which is by belief in Jesus, which means to believe that Jesus is the resurrection and the life, that He Jesus is The promised Messiah, The only begotten Son of God.

You can start to break the ice with someone by asking. How or (what do you understand), does a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life. If they give a being good or some type of work answer, then you can tell them the way God requires, which is by faith in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @NotSparedTheRod, here's a book that I believe you will find extremely helpful in finding new and effective ways to be a witness, evangelist and/or apologist. Just $4 on Kindle right now :)

1697669779855.png

Here is the book's description too.
Tactics provides the game plan for defending your faith and artfully communicating the truths of Christianity with confidence and grace.
This expanded anniversary edition of the classic book of Christian apologetics includes updates and expansions of existing tactics, as well as the addition of an all-new tactic and a chapter on Mini Tactics filled with simple maneuvers to aid in discussions.
In a culture increasingly indifferent or even hostile to Christian truth, followers of Christ need to be equipped to communicate with those who do not speak their language or accept their source of authority.
In Tactics, 10th Anniversary Edition, Gregory Koukl demonstrates how to artfully regain control of conversations, keeping them moving forward in constructive ways through thoughtful diplomacy. You'll learn how to:
  • Meet challenges, questions, and provocations with poise and conviction.
  • Effortlessly start your own evangelical conversations.
  • Present the truth clearly, cleverly, and persuasively.
  • Graciously and effectively expose faulty thinking and logical fallacies.
  • Most important, you'll learn how to get people thinking seriously about Jesus.
Drawing on extensive experience defending Christianity in the public square, Koukl will not only walk you through effective arguments to defend why you believe what you believe, but he'll teach you methods for engaging in meaningful dialogue and debate.
Step-by-step, you'll learn the tactics of good persuasion and defense, how to identify the tactics of your opponent, and how to build your case, patiently and practically.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - this quote is taken from one of Spurgeon's sermons, and I believe that his advice is both very important and very motivating :)

Spurgeon - if sinners be...arms about knees.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You cannot get anyone to believe anything. Don't even try. Just present the Word of God and let the Spirit do His work. Do not present it as "promises"; rather, present it as fact.

Fact:
"Jesus died for your sins. was buried and rose from the dead."

Fact:
"God made Jesus Lord; you do not have to. Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Don't suggest to them they have to do some religious-sounding thing where they have no idea what you are talking about. Just present the Word, and let the Holy Spirit do the work. It is His job anyway, and you can't do it.
I have some Jesus/Gospel-themed tee shirts. I wear them when I go to town. Some people smile, some people smirk. I wore one to Lowes yesterday. "Not perfect, just forgiven."
|

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @NotSparedTheRod, the 4th part of this 4-part teaching series, Spiritual Bootcamp, by Dr. John MacArthur, called "How to Witness", should be helpful to you as well. It's free to listen to and/or read online here. When you get to the site, just scroll down a bit and you'll find it.

Finally, remember that the "Good News"/the "Gospel" is the remedy for the bad news, which means that at some point in your conversation you need to get beyond "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life" and tell them why/from what they need to be saved (why they need to know the Savior). IOW, the "bad news" needs to be discussed as well.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here's a quote about evangelism from theologian and pastor, A. W. Pink. I've found that it is not a very popular quote, but what he says in it is very important to consider and understand (IMHO).

Pink - Modern Evangelists Can Be Cause of Fatal Deceptions.jpg

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The modern church approaches evangelism like worldly marketing. Consider how Jesus presented information about the offered kingdom to the nation of Israel. He often spoke in parables so that those unsuited to the kingdom would not understand. He made reference to the "straight gate" saying few would find it. This presumes that it is found by those few who are looking.

One can offer the unsaved eternal life but that seems so distant and abstract that few find it of interest much less a compelling issue. In a culture driven by materialism and selfish self-interest the opportunity for wisdom, truth, and sublimation of the flesh by walking by the Spirit likewise seems unattractive.

Those few who are seeking after truth, may not find the traditional denominational church service of much interest. A half hour lecture that they "be good" may not appear satisfying to one who seeks to understand the "why" of things. Such a person might be intrigued to learn why the world around him seems to be going into the toilet. If a Christian can articulate the "why" of the world, one might be able to better show how Christ is the answer.

One source of information about "the "why" of the world can be found here;

Cell phone pages here;

There are many web sites that people have put up that can provide help in making Christianity more accessible to those few who are seeking truth.

The more common marketing approach usually only brings the world into the church and drives out those who would seek Jesus.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The modern church approaches evangelism like worldly marketing. Consider how Jesus presented information about the offered kingdom to the nation of Israel. He often spoke in parables so that those unsuited to the kingdom would not understand. He made reference to the "straight gate" saying few would find it. This presumes that it is found by those few who are looking.

One can offer the unsaved eternal life but that seems so distant and abstract that few find it of interest much less a compelling issue. In a culture driven by materialism and selfish self-interest the opportunity for wisdom, truth, and sublimation of the flesh by walking by the Spirit likewise seems unattractive.

Those few who are seeking after truth, may not find the traditional denominational church service of much interest. A half hour lecture that they "be good" may not appear satisfying to one who seeks to understand the "why" of things. Such a person might be intrigued to learn why the world around him seems to be going into the toilet. If a Christian can articulate the "why" of the world, one might be able to better show how Christ is the answer.

One source of information about "the "why" of the world can be found here;

Cell phone pages here;

There are many web sites that people have put up that can provide help in making Christianity more accessible to those few who are seeking truth.

The more common marketing approach usually only brings the world into the church and drives out those who would seek Jesus.
-
Jesus only spoke in parables, after the nation of Israel rejected Him as The promised Messiah.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am, on the whole, uncomfortable with evangelism as marketing, or to treat evangelism as "what sort of tactical strategies we make to try and secure a conversion for someone else".

Coming from the Lutheran tradition, I would hold to a model of evangelism that we see in the Lord Jesus. Several followers of John come to Jesus to ask if He is really the Messiah, and the Lord says, "Go and tell John what you hear and see". In another example Andrew and another follower of John the Baptist ask Jesus "Where are you staying?" and Jesus says "Come and see", and Andrew ends up telling his brother Simon (Peter) "We have found the Messiah".

There is, in that sense, that evangelism invites a person to meet Jesus. How so? Because the Gospel itself is God's power to save (Romans 1:16), to give faith (Romans 10:17). Thus when the Gospel is preached, it's not a matter of convincing, or offering philosophical arguments, but rather of declaring and proclaiming that Good News--and God Himself works through this Means of Grace to work faith, to grant faith, and convert us.

So when St. Peter in his epistle talks about bearing witness to Christ, he simply instructs "be ready to give answer to the hope that is in you, with kindness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15).

We can therefore trust that if we are simply honest about our faith, that when we share God's love and grace through His Gospel, God will do what He promises to do. So that we do not need to worry about finding convincing words or trying to persuade anyone to become a Christian through clever speech or elaborate debate. St. Paul himself writes to the Corinthians, "I did not come to you with persuasive words of wisdom" but rather "in demonstration of the Spirit and power, so that your faith might not rest in wisdom of men but in the power of God" (1 Corinthians 2:3-5). Remembering that the Gospel itself is "the power of God" (see also 1 Corinthians 1:18), and that our Lord Jesus is Himself God's wisdom and power (1 Corinthians 1:24).

So that "in demonstration of the Spirit and power" is the work and power of God in the Gospel, that grace of God which transforms lives. For God, in His power, bridges the gap, able to take even two disparate peoples (Jews and Gentiles) and unite them under a common house of faith. For there is reconciliation and peace in Christ.

We can therefore preach Christ, and knowing that "come and see" and "taste and see that the Lord, He is good" (Psalm 34:8).

So that in the ordinary ways of the Church, in her abiding in Christ, the things of God are demonstrated; that by preaching the Gospel God is invading the world by His. Christ tells us to make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. And He calls us together, at His Table, to receive His Supper, which is peace.

Love people, share with them the hope you have, God is at work through these ordinary means, these ordinary things. We bear our hope, we believe the Gospel, and we live that out in both word and deed, and God works His wonders. For St. Paul could write, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God makes it grow. Therefore it is not the one who plants, or the one who waters that is what matters; but God who makes it grow." (1 Corinthians 3:6-7).

There is power in the Gospel, not power as men think; there is wisdom in the Gospel, but not wisdom as the world understands it. It is instead the upside-down wisdom and power of God through the foolishness and weakness of the Cross. So that if we preach Christ crucified, if Christ is being preached, proclaimed, declared--at the pulpit in our churches, in our lives of service, vocation, and conversations with our neighbors: then God Himself will work His wonders, His power--the faithless shall have faith; where there was once death now is eternal life. Hearts of stone become beating hearts of flesh. Dry bones rise up from the parched desert and walk with skin and blood and sinew and never thirst again for they have water from a spring that never runs dry.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

NotSparedTheRod

Nov 19, 2022
Kentucky
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello again @NotSparedTheRod, the 4th part of this 4-part teaching series, Spiritual Bootcamp, by Dr. John MacArthur, called "How to Witness", should be helpful to you as well. It's free to listen to and/or read online here. When you get to the site, just scroll down a bit and you'll find it.

Finally, remember that the "Good News"/the "Gospel" is the remedy for the bad news, which means that at some point in your conversation you need to get beyond "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life" and tell them why/from what they need to be saved (why they need to know the Savior). IOW, the "bad news" needs to be discussed as well.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here's a quote about evangelism from theologian and pastor, A. W. Pink. I've found that it is not a very popular quote, but what he says in it is very important to consider and understand (IMHO).

Thank you for the Spiritual Bootcamp link. I gave it a listen, and it has helped inspire me some.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Leading people to Christ is not as much about convincing them with logic and scripture as it is about touching their hearts with our own witness. That takes vulnerability and love.
Hello Akita, we are called to be His witnesses, and to preach the Gospel to all .. e.g. Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8, so you are correct that our witnessing to others (of that which we have personally experienced, both of the Lord and of our newfound faith) must come from the heart, as it does require vulnerability and love to be effective .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 13:1 (and compassion for the state of the lost), but at some point (with or w/o "logic"), the Scriptures themselves play a BIG part in all of this (witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics, that is).

As the Apostle tells us,

Romans 10
13 “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”
14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
17 So, faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - the famous quote that St. Francis is credited with saying (the one that he never actually said or lived out .. see What St. Francis of Assisi Didn’t Actually Say from the National Catholic Register) was restated (or perhaps better, corrected) by theologian Ligon Duncan with these words: "Saying, preach the Gospel daily, use words if necessary, is like saying, feed the hungry daily, use food if necessary" ;)

Granted, "acting" like Christians is required of us (and should be considered a given, since it is commanded .. e.g. Matthew 7:12), but ~speaking~ as a Christian, especially the words of Christ, is also necessary according to the Bible, ESPECIALLY in the cases of witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics, yes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello Akita, we are called to be His witnesses, and to preach the Gospel to all .. e.g. Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8, so you are correct that our witnessing to others (of that which we have personally experienced, both of the Lord and of our newfound faith) must come from the heart, as it does require vulnerability and love to be effective .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 13:1 (and compassion for the state of the lost), but at some point (with or w/o "logic"), the Scriptures themselves play a BIG part in all of this (witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics, that is).

As the Apostle tells us,

Romans 10
13 “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”
14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
17 So, faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - the famous quote that St. Francis is credited with saying (the one that he never actually said or lived out .. see What St. Francis of Assisi Didn’t Actually Say from the National Catholic Register) was restated (or perhaps better, corrected) by theologian Ligon Duncan with these words: "Saying, preach the Gospel daily, use words if necessary, is like saying, feed the hungry daily, use food if necessary" ;)

Granted, "acting" like Christians is required of us (and should be considered a given, since it is commanded .. e.g. Matthew 7:12), but ~speaking~ as a Christian, especially the words of Christ, is also necessary according to the Bible, ESPECIALLY in the cases of witnessing, evangelism and/or apologetics, yes?
Yes, I think effective evangelization has two dimension. Sharing the Word in a way that touches the heart and example. I love it when we clear the myth behind St Francis. One thing we do know from his history is that in his final days, when things were getting complex in the order and administration required more than he could give, he opted to lead by example rather than by juridical authority. That is why people followed him in such a difficult life of poverty and simplicity to begin with., they wanted to follow his example.

Effective evangelization, like effective preaching, must make the Word come alive. The mind and heart do work together. So we are as rational as we are sensitive. But it is not so much about a good argument as it is about being authentic witness.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, that is interesting how the evangelism team does not meet much, and possibly does not go out to reach much.

Why not? Possibly you do not have an established relationship with the members so you don't know why. And a point I consider is you need to develop a relationship of ongoing prayer and sharing with whoever really is interested in evangelizing.

You should not be isolated with only your own ability to reach people, but share with others so each of you is contributing what you have to offer . . . maybe one helping in prayer, another teaching, another talking with people . . . however you work out together.

It possibly will not work to just form a club of people who don't even spend time with each other except during meetings.

Here is how I think Jesus approached evangelism >

"Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to
preach," (Mark 3:14)

First was not sending them out, but first Jesus wanted them to be with Him. First, in evangelism, is that we be with Jesus and with one another whom He uses. Jesus spent time with His apostles in the garden and He spoke with them personally while they were with Him ministering.

Then, when they went out, they could represent Jesus Himself as well as what He gave them for their message.

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

This "yoke" has us in personal sharing with Jesus so we can get to know Him, so we can represent Him well along with giving His message.

And He provides us with pastors and other mature Christians who help us. And we need a healthy church of people who can care for people who become adopted as children of God. So, caring for God's people is included in God's process of evangelism.

You need to share with mature people who understand this and help you to grow in Jesus. And with maturing you will discover what God has you doing.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Evangelising happens when there has been prayer. If they won't join you in it, do so on your own. Then don't worry about how often or seldom it seems to happen.

I'm not saying anything about what evangelising is or should contain as I'm not one at all anyway (my ideas are into the other fourfold).

In some churches one may paradoxically not worry if one is on an inactive team that advertises what they don't do. Maybe you could imperceptibly resign from it to keep your word and deed in line. Everyone from the church should be praying about the evangelising, as well, on their own at least.

I expect there are huge amounts of hidden need and you should also pray that those will be met better and that there will be more belief - without belief, there isn't a gospel anyway, and belief is rational and my God is rational and all the other posters mentioned the rational.

The only time you are in trouble is if you are getting clobbered for wanting anything to happen.

Upvote 0