I bet we can agree that racism is hurtful and wrong (Moved from American Politics)

Racism is hurtful and wrong

• Total voters

betterorworse

Mar 21, 2018
somewhere
✟18,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it bad for people to hate white people for being so many in the United States? For colonizing and creating what so many people want all over the world? Obviously. It is bad to hate people based on race. however, it is also bad to hate people based on who they are.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are others trying to change it too. We get people who have said on here "I have no desire to do physical harm to blacks, therefore I'm not racist".

I would imagine then that you don't think that only racist behavior is a problem...but also racist things that people say?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here's something I want you to think about then. @Rion and @Ana the Ist, maybe as well. This is a bit of a post from earlier in the thread.

Falsely accusing someone of racism, because the person if of another race, is racist behavior in my opinion. Playing the race card, with no evidence to back up a claim, is racist behavior, IMO.

There's some context to it which informed my view, which is that someone claimed that they were being fired because their supervisor is racist.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree? Does it fit our definition of racism? I think it doesn't.

It's going to depend on the context...but generally speaking I'd agree with you.

Someone may think that someone said something because they are racist...or did something because they are racist...and that's their personal perceptions. It may be wrong...it may be right...but it's not racist just to think so.

Now, on the other hand, let's say this person said "I was fired by my supervisor because he's racist."

And when you asked that person how do they know their supervisor is racist?

They say, "Well he's white and I think he has something against xyz people."

Then in that case....it is racist. They've made a racist assumption that all white people are racist, or something along those lines.

Upvote 0

betterorworse

Mar 21, 2018
somewhere
✟18,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How about this, "I wouldn't have been against them, except they all attacked me." Still not a race thing right.

It seems that only those who enjoy to hate others can hate an entire race for no reason.

I don't even think slavery was out of hatred, possibly, and possibly obviously, ignorance. Not racist.

If I labeled all who hate me anti-semites, would that even make sense? Or just a cry for help?

not sure anybody hates a color of skin so much to hate a whole race.

Witness how dumb it sounds to say you hate a color of skin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are others trying to change it too. We get people who have said on here "I have no desire to do physical harm to blacks, therefore I'm not racist".

I don't doubt that...but there's a pretty big difference between one person who doesn't really understand the definition racism, or is in denial of it because they're racist...and a group of people actively trying to change the definition to fit some political agenda or absolve themselves of all their racist beliefs.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
BTW, is there anyone here who thinks we are supposed to be "Color-Blind?" I know most Blacks must not feel that way, or else one of their favorite terms, "Black Pride", would be foolish.

I think the term "color-blind" in the context of race is a bit extreme. Obviously, when we're around someone black, or white, or whatever...we know what race they are. The idea behind it though, is that you don't treat anyone differently because of their race...when race isn't an issue that matters...which is the vast majority of the time.

So as far as it goes as an idea...I think it's something everyone should strive for, even though it gets a bad rap these days from progressives.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW, is there anyone here who thinks we are supposed to be "Color-Blind?" I know most Blacks must not feel that way, or else one of their favorite terms, "Black Pride", would be foolish.

My mother’s parents came over in from Slovenia in 1897 and 1901.
My father’s people were German/French.

This is my heritage.

For the most part, African-Americans don’t have a “heritage”...so they get to be “black”.

This is from where “black pride” comes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How many people here who identify as “white” have ever been in a situation, (church, concert, protest, etc.) where you became aware that there where no other “white people” remotely close to you?
Has it ever happened that you were suddenly, the only white person in the crowd?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
How many people here who identify as “white” have ever been in a situation, (church, concert, protest, etc.) where you became aware that there where no other “white people” remotely close to you?
Has it ever happened that you were suddenly, the only white person in the crowd?
I have worked in Africa and other non-white parts of the third world for extended periods. What happens is that you forget. Everyone you see around you is black or brown and it becomes the norm. When some German, say, tourists come along it just looks weird, something to giggle about and you have to remind yourself that you're that color, too.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's something I want you to think about then. @Rion and @Ana the Ist, maybe as well. This is a bit of a post from earlier in the thread.

Falsely accusing someone of racism, because the person if of another race, is racist behavior in my opinion. Playing the race card, with no evidence to back up a claim, is racist behavior, IMO.

There's some context to it which informed my view, which is that someone claimed that they were being fired because their supervisor is racist.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree? Does it fit our definition of racism? I think it doesn't.

It fits for me, because the false accusation, was based on the race of the person they were accusing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's going to depend on the context...but generally speaking I'd agree with you.

Someone may think that someone said something because they are racist...or did something because they are racist...and that's their personal perceptions. It may be wrong...it may be right...but it's not racist just to think so.

Now, on the other hand, let's say this person said "I was fired by my supervisor because he's racist."

And when you asked that person how do they know their supervisor is racist?

They say, "Well he's white and I think he has something against xyz people."

Then in that case....it is racist. They've made a racist assumption that all white people are racist, or something along those lines.

That was my point and since I was involved in the situation, I had access to all the evidence. The accusations were completely fabricated and they would not have been fabricated, if the person being falsely accused, would have been black.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well he's accusing someone of being racist because they accused someone of being racist. Maybe they believed their supervisor was racist. Maybe they thought it would save their job. It wasn't necessarily that they were racist.

He's accusing someone of being racist based on his own definition of racism. He even points out that it's in his opinion.

Do you have a problem with that?
Actually, in context, I think that many people who scream racism need to take a look in a mirror. As you have said, Affirmative Action doesn't help anyone, in fact it foments racism. I might look carefully at the credentials of a doctor, for example, because I would consider not accepting a doctor who probably got his leg up via affirmative action.
Of course, this isn't all cases, but today, watching the news, it is most cases. I find that most politicians who accuses other politicians of something are often guilty of that thing themselves.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wedding reception pictures and most holiday gatherings with my ex and her family. All Japanese.

Funny story - a friend of mine I hadn't seen or talked to in a long time stopped by the desk of his co-worker who had a family gathering picture on her desk. From a distance, it was of an Asian family gathering. As he picked it up he asked if there was a token white guy in it. Sure enough, unbeknownst to him, there I was in the back row (where I usually was in these pics, being taller than almost everyone else at 6').

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was my point and since I was involved in the situation, I had access to all the evidence. The accusations were completely fabricated and they would not have been fabricated, if the person being falsely accused, would have been black.
Perhaps they thought their low job performance evaluations were also racist?

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0