I bet we can agree that racism is hurtful and wrong (Moved from American Politics)

Racism is hurtful and wrong

• Total voters

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps they thought their low job performance evaluations were also racist?

Could be, but why not provide a reasoning behind that, if they thought the shortcomings that were pointed out to them, where not valid, which they didn't. They were judged based on the job description they signed and the evaluations, were based on their performance based on the same and specific examples were given to them.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT On
modhat.jpg
This thread has been moved from American Politics to Ethics and Morality, which is more appropriate for the topic.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could be, but why not provide a reasoning behind that, if they thought the shortcomings that were pointed out to them, where not valid, which they didn't. They were judged based on the job description they signed and the evaluations, were based on their performance based on the same and specific examples were given to them.
True. And I agree their actions were racist in nature.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I would imagine then that you don't think that only racist behavior is a problem...but also racist things that people say?

I think things people say also falls under behavior.

For instance, as one poster said to me: "the real problem with Detroit is all the black people."

Now, since I'm from Detroit, this injures me on two fronts. And while it's 'sticks and stones', the effect is often a challenge for me.

When you hear someone belittle you, your family, and your friends like that, you get flooded with a million things to say back. Anger, justifications, pent up frustrations, anger, explanations, accusations of hypocracy, anger. You just want to explide with anger, and explain precisely why that hurts. And the thing is you can't say any of it. I can't. I just have to respond calmly and compassionately. And that's really hard to do.

And here's the real problem. Because I swallow all of that, it makes it that much harder to not have racist thoughts about the next white person I encounter. It's hard not to continue the cycle, and let it spiral out of control.

In short, yes.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Because that's hard. 'Don't fire me, my supervisor is racist' is easy. If they did hard things they probably wouldn't be on the chopping block.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think things people say also falls under behavior.

For instance, as one poster said to me: "the real problem with Detroit is all the black people."

Now, since I'm from Detroit, this injures me on two fronts. And while it's 'sticks and stones', the effect is often a challenge for me.

When you hear someone belittle you, your family, and your friends like that, you get flooded with a million things to say back. Anger, justifications, pent up frustrations, anger, explanations, accusations of hypocracy, anger. You just want to explide with anger, and explain precisely why that hurts. And the thing is you can't say any of it. I can't. I just have to respond calmly and compassionately. And that's really hard to do.

And here's the real problem. Because I swallow all of that, it makes it that much harder to not have racist thoughts about the next white person I encounter. It's hard not to continue the cycle, and let it spiral out of control.

In short, yes.

If you carry over feelings for one specific person, to all others simply because of race, you will never be able judge people anywhere near objectively.

Racism exists and racism from all races exists, but if any progress is going to continue to be made, broad brushing people, will only withhold progress.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because that's hard. 'Don't fire me, my supervisor is racist' is easy. If they did hard things they probably wouldn't be on the chopping block.

If they did hard things???

You lost me.

Is there something wrong, with evaluating employees on the same job description, that similar employees of all races have?

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If you carry over feelings for one specific person, to all others simply because of race, you will never be able judge people anywhere near objectively.

I agree. But it's hardly one person. It's a whole bunch. And when you're attacked because of your skin color, and your attackers almost always 'look the same' it's really hard not to make the connection and feel you need to defend yourself from your attackers. I'm not justifying it. I'm just explaining the mental process.

Racism exists and racism from all races exists, but if any progress is going to continue to be made, broad brushing people, will only withhold progress.

Nevermind withhold progress, it makes things worse. My instinct is that I have to justify to and defend myself from white people, which causes resentment, and more racism. It takes specific cognition to not override that instinct, and not go down that road so that the cycle might be stopped.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If they did hard things???

You lost me.

Is there something wrong, with evaluating employees on the same job description, that similar employees of all races have?

These guys are getting fired for low performance. You don't really think they're going to put in extra work to defend themselves when it's easier to say "that guy's racist".

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. But it's hardly one person. It's a whole bunch. And when you're attacked because of your skin color, and your attackers almost always 'look the same' it's really hard not to make the connection and feel you need to defend yourself from your attackers. I'm not justifying it. I'm just explaining the mental process.

Nevermind withhold progress, it makes things worse. My instinct is that I have to justify to and defend myself from white people, which causes resentment, and more racism. It takes specific cognition to not override that instinct, and not go down that road so that the cycle might be stopped.

What environment are you in, and what behaviors are towards you, where you have to constantly justify and defend yourself, from white people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These guys are getting fired for low performance. You don't really think they're going to put in extra work to defend themselves when it's easier to say "that guy's racist".

They were not getting fired, they were on a performance improvement plan, to give them guidance on how to improve their performance and they were given specific examples of why their performance was below standards and what they needed to do to improve it.

How a person reacts to this, is mostly dependent on their personal motivation and character. They can either discuss the plan with the supervisor (including disagreements they may have) and work together to improve performance, or they can manufacture a false allegation, to try and protect themselves.

I guess what they didn't consider, is when it can be shown the allegations are so blatantly false, even running to the EEOC, wont save you.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What environment are you in, and what behaviors are towards you, where you have to constantly justify and defend yourself, from white people?

Well for starters, I grew up in a Detroit redline neighborhood.

And honestly, in my adult life, it's no particular environment. It's just being 'out there'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Normal:
racism (rāˈsĭzˌəm)

• n.
    The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  • n.
    Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
SJW:
racism (rāˈsĭzˌəm)

• n.
    Power + Prejudice.

Is racial 'preference' racism? I would prefer not to hang around with Australian Aborigines (or Eskimos).

Upvote 0