• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

I bet we can agree that racism is hurtful and wrong (Moved from American Politics)

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by PeachyKeane, Mar 26, 2018.

1. I agree

100.0%
  2. I disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,130
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Anglican isn't Christian? Wonder what he thinks of Catholics? Though I don't care.

2. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Did you explain to him that Anglican is a denomination of Christianity?

3. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I meant Affirmative Action.

4. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,209
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Racism means different things to different people. I posted a link that demonstrates that racism is only possible are part of the powerful majority. This differs from the dictionary definition.

So, which definition are we talking about?

5. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

+1,434
    Christian
    Married
    BTW, is there anyone here who thinks we are supposed to be "Color-Blind?" I know most Blacks must not feel that way, or else one of their favorite terms, "Black Pride", would be foolish.

6. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Thanks to @Rion

racism (rāˈsĭzˌəm)

• n.
      The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    • n.
      Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

7. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Hooboy...

8. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+7,685
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    He knew. But Anglicans are not conservative Evangelicals. Not "real" Christians. Mind you, not all Evangelicals are that way, even in the Bible Belt, and I soon got another job. But that episode is what gives me concerns about the Christian Right, who would have the whole country run that way.

9. Steve Petersen

+3,209
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Using this definition, I agree that racism is hurtful and wrong.

10. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Here's something I want you to think about then. @Rion and @Ana the Ist, maybe as well. This is a bit of a post from earlier in the thread.

Falsely accusing someone of racism, because the person if of another race, is racist behavior in my opinion. Playing the race card, with no evidence to back up a claim, is racist behavior, IMO.

There's some context to it which informed my view, which is that someone claimed that they were being fired because their supervisor is racist.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree? Does it fit our definition of racism? I think it doesn't.

11. Steve Petersen

+3,209
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Are we talking about racist attitudes or illegal racist activities (job discrimination for instance?)

12. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Let's say attitude.

13. Steve Petersen

+3,209
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Attributing attitudes to someone because of their race is racist behavior.

14. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Yes, but remember context.

15. Steve Petersen

+3,209
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    What are you on about? Drop the shoe and make your point!

16. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Well he's accusing someone of being racist because they accused someone of being racist. Maybe they believed their supervisor was racist. Maybe they thought it would save their job. It wasn't necessarily that they were racist.

He's accusing someone of being racist based on his own definition of racism. He even points out that it's in his opinion.

Do you have a problem with that?

17. betterorworse

betterorworse Active Member

+103
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think you make a good point about that.

Is it actually racism? or just a form of ideals/beliefs/moral code's. Traditions.

I don't think it is bad to reject ways that harm other's.

18. betterorworse

+103
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have heard other's accuse that also about Christians, yet I find no where in the Bible, Christians harming others the way described by some.

I hope I don't offend any, I just personally havent found the Gospel's to contain such violent people as some claim Christian's to be. Is there a verse we can chew over?

19. betterorworse

+103
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have read the koran or w/e it want's to be called also, and noticed it said to go to jihad with other's who disagree and in some cases "lop" head's off of people. That doesn't sound like Jesus to me.

20. betterorworse

+103
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus rebuked Peter for cutting off the ear of an soldier coming to apprehend Him and then healed it.
    john 18:10-11